PDA

View Full Version : 60" lazer cutting low on turns

Hookset
08-11-2002, 12:44 AM
My exmark cuts low when turning. I've tried everything from level the deck to adding air pressure. Does anyone else have this problem?

TnT
08-11-2002, 01:07 AM
I have the same problem with my 62" Toro Z.

TnT

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 01:25 AM
Tire pressure...... Does the area around what you turn or go around higher or lower than the rest?

There was a thread a while back on the same issue.

If you go to fast around objects it will do this also.

Runner
08-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Tire pressure s usually the culprit, just like LGF said. Also, make sure that your anti-scalp casters are set down far enough. They don't come that way.

m&m
08-12-2002, 11:34 AM
what kind of grass are you cutting also? i have noticed that if you are cutting bermuda or something of that nature, it does it when ya turn but then again , like they said, does the ground slope change and how is ur air pressure? i despise cutting bermuda just for that reason

Hookset
08-12-2002, 01:46 PM
I cut mostly bermuda, it does the same to zoyia, I've up the air pressure. It still does it on level ground.

Randy Scott
08-12-2002, 02:27 PM
It's no different than turning a corner with an automobile. That outside tire is always going to be weighted more, same with the mower. Doesn't matter how much air you put in the tire. You gotta keep your foot on the deck lever and raise it almost every turn, I do. I have to grease the fittings every day for my deck lever. It's a pain in the *****, but that seperates quality from ****. Give it a try.

Alan Bechard
08-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Hookset, where in TN are you? Are you around me by chance? If you are we could get together and put our machines side by side and swap parts / tires if needed to identify what is the problem.

Al B

Hookset
08-13-2002, 05:21 AM
Thanks Alan I Appreciate the offer. I'm in Selmer, its a little to far.

olfrt
08-13-2002, 03:29 PM
I understand that your saying the deck scalps on one side during a turn and only during a turn?

I would agree that a tire is the cause. Have you checked the back tire pressure?

I'm sure they are not designed to do that. I've not seen it all this would be something new. All mowers shift weight when turning and they don't scalp.

TurfGuyTX
08-14-2002, 06:19 PM
We've experienced it also. Tire pressure is the only culprit we've encountered. Check all of the tires. They may lood ok, but low. Good luck.

Hookset
08-15-2002, 06:51 AM
I've kept a check on all tires and increased the air presure by 6lbs. I still have the same problem.

Runner
08-15-2002, 01:13 PM
It has to be in your anti scalp roller setting, then. I know that the right front roller is set lower than all the other rollers (which are lowered, also) on the deck. If it goes beyond this, the only other thing I can think of, would be that you have a chain with slack in it, and when you corner hard enough, the deck rocks on the other chains and is allowing a corner to drop. Walk around the deck lifting and pushing down on the corners and sides and see if this deck is allowed to teeter.

Matt'slawncare
08-15-2002, 02:49 PM
I have kinda the same problem with my gravely pm260z. Whenever i go around something the is just a little higher then everything else my anti scalp wheel digs in and makes a great circel around it. But i did higher the anti scalp wheels but sence the ground is so rough it scalps alot worse so then i lowered it back down so it makes a better cut but makes those circels around the abjects. So what else could i try to fixs this?

thanks matt

Keith
08-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Do your anti-scalp rollers have any play in them? My Kees (really similar to the Lazer) will dip in turns occasionally and I am pretty sure it's do to the roller moving to much. The metal bushing in the plastic roller wears the plastic out and they need to be replaced. I also have a slight bend in a couple of the roller mounting plates. How old are the tires? Sometimes even slight over-inflation won't prevent sidewall flex on older, worn tires.

Runner
08-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Matt'slawncare
I have kinda the same problem with my gravely pm260z. But i did higher the anti scalp wheels but sence the ground is so rough it scalps alot worse so then i lowered it back down so it makes a better cut but makes those circels around the abjects. So what else could i try to fixs this? thanks matt

Matt,
I'm sorry. I was speaking in reference to the opposite of that. What I was saying, is that when you first get the Lazer, the rollers are too high, and the deck is more prone to scalp until they are lowered. Also, I said in a previous post that "I know that the right front roller is set lower than all the other rollers (which are lowered, also) on the deck." What I meant with that statement was, that on MY mower, this is where I have mine set.

Floridalandcare
08-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Check for a bent spindle.

Hookset
08-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks Runner,
The chains were adjusted but I will check them myself just to make sure. My gauge wheels are new.

ProMo
08-16-2002, 06:29 PM
maybe exmark used the same metal they used in my 36 tthp it rolled about 1 foot backwards in my trailer and the handle barely scraped the aluminum oil cooler on my dixie and im told i have a bent frame and handle of course it cut bad before this ever happened and when i took it to dealer while it was still under warranty was told there was nothing wrong with it

LAWNGODFATHER
08-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
maybe exmark used the same metal they used in my 36 tthp it rolled about 1 foot backwards in my trailer and the handle barely scraped the aluminum oil cooler on my dixie and im told i have a bent frame and handle of course it cut bad before this ever happened and when i took it to dealer while it was still under warranty was told there was nothing wrong with it

One Exmark turf tracer 52" dropped off of a 6' retaining wall, landed up side down, bent handle bars back and readjusted linkages.

Other one was rolled down a steep hill, replaces handle bars and re adjusted linkages.

Check it yourslef to make sure the claim is legit.

ProMo
08-16-2002, 07:20 PM
my handles are uneven i never even noticed it until I posted on exmarks forum the mowers front wheel is up against the front wall of my trailer if it was hit hard enough it would have put a hole in the plywood and damaged the aluminum cooler on the dixie the distributor calls my wife saying exmark will cover the machine under warranty and all they did was put new tires on it and replaced a one week old belt and blades they said the tension indicator was replaced it wasnt and they didnt make any improvements in the way it has always cut I will never own another exmark if thats enough to bend the frame.