PDA

View Full Version : stake sides for ram 3500

beachtownlawnservice
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
i recently bought a 97 ram 3500 flatbed "11ft. where can i buy some stake sides for it?
i know i could build some out of wood. but i would like to but some nice metal/aluminum removable ones. Ive looked everywhere on the Internet and i cant find a single place that will sell the panels pre made.

Gravel Rat
09-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Have them custom made any good fabrication shop can build you what you want. How tall side boards do you want ? I use 2x10s they are tall enough for 99% of the jobs I do. When it comes to hauling gravel the 2x10s are tall enough for the 11 foot bed. Hauling bush the same side boards are fine I put a couple straps over the load pull it down then take the straps off and load more on.

Having 4 foot tall sides can be a pain if you need to take them on and off.

beachtownlawnservice
09-18-2010, 01:07 AM
i would like 3-4ft sides. did 2x4's fit in your stake slots?
or did you shave them down?

Gravel Rat
09-18-2010, 03:22 AM
i would like 3-4ft sides. did 2x4's fit in your stake slots?
or did you shave them down?

I built my deck it isn't a light weight stamped and formed steel mass produced ones. The stake pockets are formed 3/16s steel I got them from a trailer parts supply and they fit a dressed 2x4 so any 2x4 from a lumber yard.

Myself I like having the stakes tight enough that when you go over a bump the side boards don't jump. They can and will do it I have had it happen if you go over a bump too fast.

The only problem using 2x4s for stakes is they do swell in the rain and can be tough to come out.

For a 1 ton you would want to go with something light as a 1 ton is already short on " Legal " payload so aluminum would be the way to go.

Visit a local welding shop in your area they could set you up with some sides that you can have in sections so your able to lift them yourself or have a side gate or rear gate. Always better to have something built to your needs than a one size fits all deal.