PDA

View Full Version : FinerCuts(Now a 19 year olds bizz)

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Well everyone, I started a thread 3 years ago about how I started out and what equipment I had. I have decided to put that thread to sleep and start a new one. Newer pictures and new information. But you still all should take a peak at my first one as there was some good questions in there! As of right now I am in the process of bidding commercial for the upcoming year. Finding out who I get into contact with for each commercial property is my main focus right now compared to actually submitting a bid. I have found out that a lot of places won't start excepting bids until January of Febuary. This is fine if they give you the sq. footage of everything to calculate fert. and spraying, but as far as mowing I am more of estimating on how long it would take compared to using a formula like I have heard of some others doing. I know how fast I work, along with everyone else. I ended up getting a new lazer this year and love it so far. Cuts great and stripes great. I have a lot more to tell as for future plans for the upcoming season but I will put some pics up instead. It has been a great summer!:waving:

stuntmanlogan
09-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Still looking good im actually 19 as well do you go to college anywhere?

bobcat48
09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Looks real good.

davis45
09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks real good.

Every single post of yours says "looks good" looks nice" "very nice" looks good very nice" "cool.nice" "looks real good"

Finer cuts, your doing spraying/fert now also? You have grown alot and in the right direction since you started your other thread.

tmetz
09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
20 years old here, looks like some nice work man!
Posted via Mobile Device

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Every single post of yours says "looks good" looks nice" "very nice" looks good very nice" "cool.nice" "looks real good"

Finer cuts, your doing spraying/fert now also? You have grown alot and in the right direction since you started your other thread.

Thanks! We subbed the work out the last couple years but the guy that we had doing everything was a close friend and has tought me a lot and also has giving me a lot of hands on training. I have already gone to school for pesticide application also. Just haven't had time to take over the spraying and fert yet. Either at the end of this year or in the spring of next I will be buying an L.T. Rich Sprayer. I have looked at all of the others and I am most impressed with the L.T.

Z-master man
09-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Nice! Glad to hear buisness is duing well, can't wait for more pic's!!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Still looking good im actually 19 as well do you go to college anywhere?

Logan I went to Dmacc to get my degree in Landscape Design and also for my Pesticide Application license.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice! Glad to hear buisness is duing well, can't wait for more pic's!!

I promise I will work on getting some more. I have some on my camera that I still need to put up.:dancing:

stuntmanlogan
09-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Logan I went to Dmacc to get my degree in Landscape Design and also for my Pesticide Application license.

Which dmacc I actually go to dmacc west but just for business degree. This is my last semester actually.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Which dmacc I actually go to dmacc west but just for business degree. This is my last semester actually.

I went to the one in Ankeny. Where in Iowa are you located?

stuntmanlogan
09-18-2010, 02:13 PM
West des moines

FinerCutslawnCare
09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I am always in West Des Moines. Actually going there today!

mowerdude777
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Very nice hope to see more pics

stuntmanlogan
09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I am always in West Des Moines. Actually going there today!

That's crazy I never see your set up going around. I would say that 70% of my cliental is in wdm. Its pretty much the only area I advertise because of driving but ive got yards all over from word of mouth advertising. I have only seen you once and that was out at norwalk you were getting on the interstate, I was just getting off to head into the town. Where in wdm do you work?

Trevor8
09-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I am in WDM to where do both of you work.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
O sorry I didn't mean I had work in West Des Moines, I am just out there everyday for something or another. You pry didn't see me in Norwalk it was probably my dad. I have him on his own route and one of our accounts is all the way out in Norwalk, but is does pay good. We should get together sometime and see what all eachother is doing. Might be able to throw work eachothers way in the future!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I am in WDM to where do both of you work.

We actually haven't invaded the WDM area yet nor Des Moines. We are more out in johnston, grimes, ankeny and other small surrounding towns.

stuntmanlogan
09-19-2010, 09:35 PM
O sorry I didn't mean I had work in West Des Moines, I am just out there everyday for something or another. You pry didn't see me in Norwalk it was probably my dad. I have him on his own route and one of our accounts is all the way out in Norwalk, but is does pay good. We should get together sometime and see what all eachother is doing. Might be able to throw work eachothers way in the future!

Sounds good man. Let me know when ever you want. Ill make sure I can meet. Have you taken the fertilizer application test yet? Ive taken it twice already. Still working on it though.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes I have. Some of the stuff on the test is common sense but a lot of the other stuff is written in the book. You actually have to study the book somewhat hard from what I can remember to answer some of the questions on the exam.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Looks nice man, a long ways from the other thread. Can't wait to see some more pictures.

DQL10
09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Everything looks very impressive. Keep up the good work and motivation. Its funny that you mention Dmacc and Des Moines and Ankeny. My mom's side of the family lives in Caroll and some of my cousins that live there went to Dmacc. Also my mother grew up in Ankeny. Haven't been back to Iowa in years. I'm sure that snow storm last winter helped out a lot. I know it did down here in VA. Keep up the good work!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
The very first storm we had this year we got 15" of snow. That was a lot of hours in my truck. A lot of people were not ready for such a snow either. I had to turn a lot of people down for plowing out their drives that first snow. My phone would not stop ringing!

DQL10
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
The very first storm we had this year we got 15" of snow. That was a lot of hours in my truck. A lot of people were not ready for such a snow either. I had to turn a lot of people down for plowing out their drives that first snow. My phone would not stop ringing!

It definitely caught us off guard as well. Had 3 big systems come in and we were swamped. Had 3 trucks bread down as well on Lowes and Target lots. Had to push them with skidsteers. Was not fun.

I read that you didn't get a plow on your truck when you bought it but I'm sure you have one on there now? If so what kind do you have and how do you have it rigged up?

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
looks great, keep up the good work

FinerCutslawnCare
09-20-2010, 08:03 PM
It definitely caught us off guard as well. Had 3 big systems come in and we were swamped. Had 3 trucks bread down as well on Lowes and Target lots. Had to push them with skidsteers. Was not fun.

I read that you didn't get a plow on your truck when you bought it but I'm sure you have one on there now? If so what kind do you have and how do you have it rigged up?

When I first started out I had a 1500. The next year I bought a 2500 hd brand new with a brand new boss v poly. The first couple years I was in the business I was doing sidewalks, but a lot of them. This will be my third year plowing. Plan on trying to get a skid for this coming winter.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-20-2010, 08:04 PM
looks great, keep up the good work

Thanks! Try to make everything look good before I leave every job.

Trevor8
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
More pics! :)

DQL10
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
When I first started out I had a 1500. The next year I bought a 2500 hd brand new with a brand new boss v poly. The first couple years I was in the business I was doing sidewalks, but a lot of them. This will be my third year plowing. Plan on trying to get a skid for this coming winter.

Yeah the Boss plows are pretty good. Personally not a fan of the v-plows though. How did yours hold up? And the skidsteers are wonderful for banks and large wide sidewalks like the ones at Target. After having or shovel crew try to shovel the 120 some odd yard side walk, I just said screw it and used the skidsteer on it. If your in the market, Bobcat diesels are the way to go. I believe the one of the best ones we have is the T400 or Tsomething but it is a true heavyweight for pushing snow with a box pusher.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah the Boss plows are pretty good. Personally not a fan of the v-plows though. How did yours hold up? And the skidsteers are wonderful for banks and large wide sidewalks like the ones at Target. After having or shovel crew try to shovel the 120 some odd yard side walk, I just said screw it and used the skidsteer on it. If your in the market, Bobcat diesels are the way to go. I believe the one of the best ones we have is the T400 or Tsomething but it is a true heavyweight for pushing snow with a box pusher.

I heard the bobcat track doesn't do worth a crap in the snow tho? I have been looking at S250's lately. As far as the plow( knock on wood) I haven't had any problems with it. This will be the third year I use it.

MileHigh
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
I love that first pics you have up there...

I have a property that looks very similar to it..cut the exact same way, with the hill like that and everything.

:clapping:

FinerCutslawnCare
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I have been mowing the guys yard for 2 years now and I have only talked to him in person once. And that was the only time I have ever seen him outside. He is a doctor of some sort. Thanks for the compliment! This is one of my favorite accounts to cut just because it is so smooth!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Cut this yard three days before taking the pics. Stripes are still looking good!:cool2:

DQL10
09-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I heard the bobcat track doesn't do worth a crap in the snow tho? I have been looking at S250's lately. As far as the plow( knock on wood) I haven't had any problems with it. This will be the third year I use it.

Really? That is the first I've heard of that. I never had a problem using it. I will say this though once you have the track on the asphalt after plowing it rides horrible but it never got stuck nor bogged down. Thats good about the plows. We had guys running our F450 dump truck with a 10 foot meyer v plow on it into every parking stop in a Target parking lot and tore it all up. Not sure if your accounts have parking stops but stay away from them. Hand shovel around them if need be. They are a pain in the butt to go back and replace. Although since this is your third year I'm sure you know all about that already. It is amazing how strong and yet weak the mounting brackets can be also. But as far as the bobcat goes I've used it for all sorts of things and never had problems with it so far.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Really? That is the first I've heard of that. I never had a problem using it. I will say this though once you have the track on the asphalt after plowing it rides horrible but it never got stuck nor bogged down. Thats good about the plows. We had guys running our F450 dump truck with a 10 foot meyer v plow on it into every parking stop in a Target parking lot and tore it all up. Not sure if your accounts have parking stops but stay away from them. Hand shovel around them if need be. They are a pain in the butt to go back and replace. Although since this is your third year I'm sure you know all about that already. It is amazing how strong and yet weak the mounting brackets can be also. But as far as the bobcat goes I've used it for all sorts of things and never had problems with it so far.

I have ran a Cat 289 in the snow but never a bobcat. I have just heard they weren't the best but hey, can't really say they are bad until i run one!

DQL10
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm sure there are definitely better ones out there than bobcat. But we have two of them and a John Deer with the wheels that doesn't want to stay in one spot. Man all this talk about pushing snow with skidsteers is making me want snow right now!

bobcat48
09-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah still looking good.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm sure there are definitely better ones out there than bobcat. But we have two of them and a John Deer with the wheels that doesn't want to stay in one spot. Man all this talk about pushing snow with skidsteers is making me want snow right now!

I can't wait!

cleansweeplawncare
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Finer Cuts,
Glad to see another IA guy out there. I would say if you use a skid for snow stick with a Cat! Bobcats are a little more of a pain in the rear! Just my opinion though. Keep up the great work and good luck with snow this winter. I hear we are in trouble with a lot of snow!!!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Finer Cuts,
Glad to see another IA guy out there. I would say if you use a skid for snow stick with a Cat! Bobcats are a little more of a pain in the rear! Just my opinion though. Keep up the great work and good luck with snow this winter. I hear we are in trouble with a lot of snow!!!

That is never a bad thing tho! Where are you located at in Iowa?

cleansweeplawncare
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Located in the W'loo-C'Falls area.

Puddle of Oil
09-24-2010, 02:02 AM
how do you like that enclosed? have you gotten any customers directly from that mobile billboard that you know of? Your stuff looks great btw!

Trevor8
09-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Have you done anything to the inside of the trailer?

MLAWCARE
09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Cut this yard three days before taking the pics. Stripes are still looking good!:cool2:

do you double cut each lawn or just different directions each time?

FinerCutslawnCare
09-24-2010, 05:48 PM
do you double cut each lawn or just different directions each time?

Just cut in a different direction each time.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
how do you like that enclosed? have you gotten any customers directly from that mobile billboard that you know of? Your stuff looks great btw!

I have had people contact me by seeing the trailer. Having to identical enclosed trailers all lettered up is really nice and professional looking. As far as work done to the inside of the trailer I have trimmer racks and blower racks and that is really it. Have a little container that I put all my little nic nacs in.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Well today we did our first little fall cleanup. I can't believe it is already here!

Trevor8
09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I am planning on starting clean ups next week. Any more pics?

bobcat48
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah me too.i did a small cleanup today too.first one.yeah there falling lol.

FinerCutslawnCare
09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
My girlfriend has a nice digital camera that I will steal and start taking pictures! We take care of some commercial accounts that are very anal about not having leaves in the yard or parking lot$$$