PDA

View Full Version : Is this a weed?

chris112
09-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Everyone- New here and looking for some help.

I am trying to determine if the below is a weed or not. I have a few patches of this on my otherwise nice green lawn and I am trying to see if I should be concerned or ignore it. It seems to be a thicker bladed grass that clumps.
Please see image below.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7466/weedt.jpg

dgw
09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
tall fescue

ICT Bill
09-18-2010, 02:04 PM
In the time it took you to go get your camera, walk into the yard, take the picture, walk inside, load it on your PC, fire up lawnsite, start a new thread, download the picture

you could have bent over and pulled it

chris112
09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Bill, but I have a camera on my phone in which I emailed and posted it from... amazing how technology works huh!

Took me no time at all.

Now if it was just that one in my yard you may be correct, but I have some random patches throughout my yard. Seems worth the effort to find out about it to me.

Thanks DGW, but is it a weed or something I should try and eliminate?

dgw
09-18-2010, 02:51 PM
its a grass, but if you dont want it there its a weed

probably gonna be tough to get rid of

Johnny test
09-18-2010, 04:16 PM
It looks like a species of turf grass but you would have to look at the ligule, auricle, and vernation to tell what species it is. Is the leaf blade shinny on the bottom compared to the top?

Rayner Lawncare
09-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm no expert but I would think it's tall fescue.

ICT Bill
09-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks Bill, but I have a camera on my phone in which I emailed and posted it from... amazing how technology works huh!

Took me no time at all.

Now if it was just that one in my yard you may be correct, but I have some random patches throughout my yard. Seems worth the effort to find out about it to me.

Thanks DGW, but is it a weed or something I should try and eliminate?

I was just having fun with you

what is going on in your yard happens all of the time usually by some knucklehead at home depot, they sell them fescue seed for a KBG yard

Southern Elegance
09-19-2010, 03:07 PM
looks like ky 31 tall fescue

CLARK LAWN
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
its tall fescue, have it all over here. when everything else slows down and browns it still grows good.

93Chevy
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Tall fescue. It's kind of ugly, but it grows well in late fall and during droughts.

ochosdaddy
09-20-2010, 02:06 AM
A weed by definition is any unwanted plant. Therefore, if you don't want it in your lawn, then it's a weed.

Does look like K31 fescue though, esp when you say it "clumps."

wild willy
09-20-2010, 02:42 AM
I know this as twitch, couch or quack grass. It pulls out like a toupe' and if left unchecked will spread and look like crap on your lawn. I have noticed in the last couple of years it is spreading in southern Ontario. More and more lawns are getting it but no one really cares because it is a grass and its green and not "a weed". You have to get all of it out, even 1/2 inch of root will grow back again. In my opinion it is horrible and it bothers me to see it on my lawn but I just keep pulling it out, thats the only thing you can do. Some people ask me what to do about it and I tell them get a shovel and dig it out and replace with a chunk of sod.
But be aware it WILL spread. Look up these names on your google search engine it will tell you all about it.

cgaengineer
09-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Tall fescue...100% sure. There are a few options chemically to get rid of it in a warm season lawn but I'm not sure what type of grass you have. One option is to carefully paint it with a 50% mix of round-up depending on the amount of clumps you have.
Posted via Mobile Device