PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes

TNGrassCutter
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
what volttage do yall run your trailer brakes on and what all do you have on your trailer and have yall ever had problems with them.thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-18-2010, 09:20 PM
no trailer brakes here.....

i pull a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. it holds a 36" exmark metro walkbehind, a toro 21" commercial, a 52" toro grandstand, a stihl br400 blower, a trimmer rack with a stihl fs70 trimmer and a stihl kombi motor with a stick edger attached, 3 two gallon gas and and 3 rakes.

igotdiesel2
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
The voltage relates to how heavy your trailer is. The heavier the trailer the more voltage (higher the number on the brake control) will be. It also varies on if you have 1 or 2 brake axles and what size the brakes are on those axles and how good the brakes are. I run my brake control around 3.5 with the enclosed mowing rig. but when I am hauling heavy with the dump trailer I bump it up to about 5.5. That trailer has bigger brakes on it. -Jason

sehitchman
09-18-2010, 10:20 PM
It depends on the weight of the trailer. Most Brake Controls suggest you attempt several near panic stops from 35-45 and set your voltage up to where they just lock up. Then back it down just a bit, to avoid lock up. You should know what voltage to set it at for every load you carry. Empty will be very low and fully loaded will be higher. For most landscape trailers, open, I'd suggest starting at about 4 volts, the heavier enclosed, perhaps 5-6, but do the proper set up please.

TNGrassCutter
09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
The voltage relates to how heavy your trailer is. The heavier the trailer the more voltage (higher the number on the brake control) will be. It also varies on if you have 1 or 2 brake axles and what size the brakes are on those axles and how good the brakes are. I run my brake control around 3.5 with the enclosed mowing rig. but when I am hauling heavy with the dump trailer I bump it up to about 5.5. That trailer has bigger brakes on it. -Jason

i have 1 axle brakes on 16 x 7 trailer.1 ztr 21 inch with racks and a toolbox about 13000 lbs total i think i run mine on 3.0 but i wonder if im burning them up cuz theyve started to pop squeak and creak
Posted via Mobile Device

TNGrassCutter
09-18-2010, 10:26 PM
i have 1 axle brakes on 16 x 7 trailer.1 ztr 21 inch with racks and a toolbox about 13000 lbs total i think i run mine on 3.0 but i wonder if im burning them up cuz theyve started to pop squeak and creak
Posted via Mobile Device

oh and the trailer is only 5 months old
Posted via Mobile Device

tobylou8
10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
no trailer brakes here.....

i pull a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. it holds a 36" exmark metro walkbehind, a toro 21" commercial, a 52" toro grandstand, a stihl br400 blower, a trimmer rack with a stihl fs70 trimmer and a stihl kombi motor with a stick edger attached, 3 two gallon gas and and 3 rakes.

Then why did you respond?

tobylou8
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
oh and the trailer is only 5 months old
Posted via Mobile Device

Biggest problem I have is with the magnets "burning up". Trailer tech said it was because my volts were too high and brake depressed too long, like at a light or stop and go traffic. Cut it way back unless I'm moving mulch.

TNGrassCutter
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
mine feel like they stick then jerk when you let off it does it from 2.5 up so ive been runing them on 2.0

sehitchman
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
If you have to back off the voltage to reduce magnet wear and the jerk when stopping & backing you have a "timed based" brake control. Timed controls are never going to give you a smooth stop and require lower voltage if stopping or backing at slow speed. Timed controls are a price point item in the industry. If it matters to you about the comfort and brake wear step up to a name brand inertial control. If you need a suggestion, PM me.