PDA

View Full Version : My Custom Built Triple Axle Gooseneck

PlantscapeSolutions
09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
This is my mulching and landscape trailer. I only paid $4500 for it in 2006 when I had it custom built. I've spent more money building an extreme duty split ramp, adding additional braces to the 4' sides, and making the frame a little stiffer. It weighs 6000 lbs empty. It has triple 7K axles each with electric brakes. It was originaly built by C&M trailer sales in Ennis TX.

Elliot Trailer Sales built me the split ramp, added side braces, and welded some stout square stock tubing to the frame between front axle and the upright for the gooseneck.

I recently had Virgil Moore Steel in Niederwald add some 3/4 thick brackets to the inside of the trailer to reinforce where the floor meets the wall in the front of the trailer. They also boxed in the vertical I beams on the gooseneck to make them stiffer as well.

I've carried 17,500 lbs in this trailer with no problem. This trailer means business. There are so many trailer builders in Texas it's ridiculous. From the small manufacturers to BigTex Trailers Texas is the heart of trailer country.

bobcat48
09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice trailer.

ShooterK2
09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Very nice, heavy duty trailer. How long is it? I really like that rear ramp. It looks really stout. I bet it's not easy to lift, though........unless you've got some kind of helpers on it.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Ooops. It's a 21' footer. The split ramps have an insanely heavy gauge expanded metal. It's 6'-8" wide on the inside. The split gate really isn't that bad at all. The original gate wasn't split and it was a real SOB to lift. In a pinch I can use jack stands to add or remove the ramps by myself.

The uprights on the original ramp were angle iron as well. Anyone who knows anything about building ramps knows angle iron is OK for the top and bottom cross members but the uprights must be square tube stock because it resists flexing much better.

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Can you post a picture of the full setup hooked to your truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 01:40 AM
It looks even more impressive hooked up to my Ram 3500 4x4. I'll have to take a picture the next time I tow it.

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I would like to see the full rig! Are you going to use it for leafe cleanups?
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I would like to see the full rig! Are you going to use it for leafe cleanups?
Posted via Mobile Device

This thing is used for landscape use and mulching. I've done jobs with 4 yards of soil, 3 yards of top dressing, 100 bags of mulch, a bunch of plants, hand tools, along with three wheel barrows and dolleys in this thing.

This trailer has 21 cubic yards of space. With bags of mulch we can fit 29 yards (390 bags) of mulch in it. I'd rather have a tandem dually but they sit too high.

Even with a pierced frame a tandem dually is too high to use ramps without a dove tail. Dove tails waste about 4 - 5' of the trailer and then the dove tail is so low it's prone to bottoming out. Hopefully someone will design a tandem dually with smaller tires and wheels that's still a 24K capacity trailer.