PDA

View Full Version : PacBrake Airbags For Towing Big Loads

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 12:41 AM
There's probably not a lot of landscapers using airbags but they work great. I even have bags on my Ram 2500 that pulls a 16' enclosed trailer. My daily driver is a 09' 3500 4x4. You could put 5K in the bed of the truck and it wouldn't sag at all.

The best deal I could find on these PacBrake units was about $250 from Mass Diesel. The list price is closer to $330. It doesn't matter if you tow a gooseneck or a bumper pull these bags will give you a solid level ride. I had Firestone bags on my last 02' 2500 but the PacBrake bags are a little better. I would definitely stay away from the Airbagit.com kits.

doubleedge
09-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Looks nice. What don't you like about the airbagit kits?

bobcat48
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Nice truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 01:36 AM
I have an Airbagit.com I'm sending back. The air seeps out of the kit, the fittings are all cheap plastic, and the kit is just a pain to work with. The kit came with no directions and was missing almost all the correct nuts and bolts.

CWB
09-19-2010, 09:40 AM
What is Mass Diesel's contact info? I need to buy a set of these asap! Thanks

joef450snowplow
09-19-2010, 02:26 PM
i live air bas there sick

FIRESCOOBY
09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
What is Mass Diesel's contact info? I need to buy a set of these asap! Thanks

http://www.massdiesel.com/

Google is a powerful tool.:rolleyes:

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Type in Mass Diesel in a search engine and you'll get a hit.

oakwdman
09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
i live air bas there sick

you're an idiot.

joef450snowplow
09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
you're an idiot.

haha love* mybad

oakwdman
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
You forgot baGs and they're too...
Posted via Mobile Device

Tre.Fe
09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice truck.

99% of your posts are two words, why not think of something to actually say or dont say anything at all.

old oak lawn
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Have Firestone air bags on my F350, love them. They cost me $400.00 from NAPA but i had to have them after installing a dump insert.

BoCutsLawnCare
01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I have an Airbagit.com I'm sending back. The air seeps out of the kit, the fittings are all cheap plastic, and the kit is just a pain to work with. The kit came with no directions and was missing almost all the correct nuts and bolts.

i bought a kit from airbagit.com too. i had the same issues with the directions and incorrect hardware. i haven't installed it yet but hopefully i have better luck with its efficiency.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Quick question. To add air into the bags do you have an onboard compresser or do you have to do it from a shop unit?

noahb195
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Is this the same truck thats in your thread that is hooked up to the gooseneck? Just wondering because in that picture it has black rockstars. Just making sure they arnt two different trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
i bought a kit from airbagit.com too. i had the same issues with the directions and incorrect hardware. i haven't installed it yet but hopefully i have better luck with its efficiency.

I bent over backwards trying to work with the guys at Airbagit.com. They acted like their kit was the best thing since sliced bread. The kit was supposed to be model specific but it was generic and didn't fit. The clamps were where the brake lines were located and they expected me to buy tools and bend my brake lines. The fittings were cheap plastic and it wouldn't hold air for long. I had to go buys bolts because it had a bunch of bolts that were too short or the incorrect diameter for the holes. I had to shim the brackets with washers I bought because other wise I couldn't get access to tighten some of the hardware. I had to cut holes in one bracket as well.

They were advertising in Diesel Power and I was glad to see them stop. Their bags are a total misfitting pile of crap. I've used Firestone, Pacbrake, and Airbagit.coms bags so I'm very experienced on the topic. I would tell them you were told it was model specific at the time of purchase and tell them you want your money back just like they did for David Prew in Buda, TX. I had to make quite a stink over a several month period to finally get my money back.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Is this the same truck thats in your thread that is hooked up to the gooseneck? Just wondering because in that picture it has black rockstars. Just making sure they arnt two different trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same truck I just got tires of the generic wheels. I like a truck that doesn't blend in. It has about $6000 in add on's including performance work.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Quick question. To add air into the bags do you have an onboard compresser or do you have to do it from a shop unit?

The onboard kit with installation costs several times more then the regular kit. I think it was going to be at least $500 - $600 to have in cab controls. You can buy a nice portable compressor for only $150. The regular kit is not hard to install at all.

The most important thing I can tell you is to follow the direction on torquing the steel bolts into the aluminum caps on the airbags. If you over tighten the bolts it will rip the threads out of the aluminum.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Have Firestone air bags on my F350, love them. They cost me $400.00 from NAPA but i had to have them after installing a dump insert.

For your next truck check for bags online. The $400 is the list price. Online prices cam be found for about $290. I had Firestone on my 02' 2500 Ram but I like the PacBrakes on my 06' & 09' better.

Most bags now mount over the axle instead of on the leaf springs and it works much better. I broke the bolts on my Firestone kit several times. I switched to grade 8 bolts and it helped but I finally broke those as well and dropped several parts on the road someplace.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
The onboard kit with installation costs several times more then the regular kit. I think it was going to be at least $500 - $600 to have in cab controls. You can buy a nice portable compressor for only $150. The regular kit is not hard to install at all.

The most important thing I can tell you is to follow the direction on torquing the steel bolts into the aluminum caps on the airbags. If you over tighten the bolts it will rip the threads out of the aluminum.

Thanks, where do you fill your bags at? Was that spot on the bumper the inlet? I've been thinking for a while about an inverter to run a small compressor off the truck, from what I remeber seeing when I look at some before you had to fill on the bag. Its been sometime so I could be off, but getting under the truck to adjust air pressure just dosn't seem fun.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-27-2012, 10:01 PM
My outlets are on the bumper and are easy to get to. I'm thinking about buying a Viair brand compressor to keep in the truck. I've been using my home compressor but a portable one would be nice. The 450P Viair on Amazon is about $287.

S-205
01-28-2012, 03:41 PM
So what exactly is required to install bags? Do you need a lift to do it, any special tools? Problems you ran into with yours (if you did it yourself)?

PlantscapeSolutions
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
So what exactly is required to install bags? Do you need a lift to do it, any special tools? Problems you ran into with yours (if you did it yourself)?

A drill to make holes for the valve stems and basic hand tools. The PacBrake install is very easy. There is really nothing technical or difficult about it. Just don't over tighten the steel bolts that go into the aluminum caps on the airbags. This is the only spot where not following the directions could get you into trouble.

mowerbrad
01-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I have to ask...How do airbags affect the ride of the truck?

I love the ride of my truck right now and hate to add airbags or another leaf spring (something along those lines) to help with weight only to sacrifice the nice ride. However, I would really like to have something to help to truck from squatting too much when I have a full trailer.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I would really like to put some of those on my truck. My suspension has 190,000 on it on my work truck. I'm starting to feel a little bit of axle wrap from what I'm assuming is weakened leaf springs. So this summer hopefully I'll either put a new spring pack in or a helper spring to solve that issue. Probably would like to look into the bags when I do that as well.

Screamin!
01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
I have Firestones on my 1500, and its amazing what they can do! Everyday driving I run them around 5-7lbs but during season I tend to keep mine at 12-15lbs. The one thing to remember for guys in my situation (using a 1500) is to keep in mind the regulations set by the manufacturer in what the truck can physically hold and carry in the bed. Just because you beef up the suspension doesn't mean the axles, wheel bearings, tires, and frame are beefed up too.

S-205
01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah thats a really good point, you have to know the limitations of your truck.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
My outlets are on the bumper and are easy to get to. I'm thinking about buying a Viair brand compressor to keep in the truck. I've been using my home compressor but a portable one would be nice. The 450P Viair on Amazon is about $287.

OK I thought thats was where the pic showed them. Might want to check out harbor freight. They have a small generator it around $80 when on small and a 3 gal hotdog compressor runs about that too. I was thinking the generator would be nice to have as a stand alone instead of a gas air compressor.

KrayzKajun
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
David, I know I've prolly asked this already but, what brand are yur front/rear bumpers? I really hate the chrome bumpers on my truck, plus I want to add a winch in the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
David, I know I've prolly asked this already but, what brand are yur front/rear bumpers? I really hate the chrome bumpers on my truck, plus I want to add a winch in the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

My bumpers are Brown Manufacturing and their made 15 minutes from my house. I got them through Bumperdude.com. I only paid about $1350 for the set. This guy will ship bumpers as well. Here in Texas everyone is crazy about after market bumpers.

The Bumperdude.com guy is actually a local guy here. If you want a dually wrap bumper to protect the fenders the Brown bumpers are decent. If you don't want a wrap bumper the Frontier brand is really nice. The Frontier units are more modern looking.

The only drawback of the dually wrap bumpers is they cut down on your turning radius because they are so wide. If you pull a bumper pull trailer a lot you will end up putting a dent in it eventually. I've put a dimple in two trailers.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
OK I thought thats was where the pic showed them. Might want to check out harbor freight. They have a small generator it around $80 when on small and a 3 gal hotdog compressor runs about that too. I was thinking the generator would be nice to have as a stand alone instead of a gas air compressor.

Viair makes lesser priced units as well. The Viair units you connect directly to the battery posts. I had an El Cheapo compressor before and it was a dog. This time I'm going to buy a decent one. Plus the Viair's are very compact and come with a carrying case.

KrayzKajun
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
My bumpers are Brown Manufacturing and their made 15 minutes from my house. I got them through Bumperdude.com. I only paid about $1350 for the set. This guy will ship bumpers as well. Here in Texas everyone is crazy about after market bumpers.

The Bumperdude.com guy is actually a local guy here. If you want a dually wrap bumper to protect the fenders the Brown bumpers are decent. If you don't want a wrap bumper the Frontier brand is really nice. The Frontier units are more modern looking.

The only drawback of the dually wrap bumpers is they cut down on your turning radius because they are so wide. If you pull a bumper pull trailer a lot you will end up putting a dent in it eventually. I've put a dimple in two trailers.

That's a dang good price for the pair! Ill have to check him out ths evening.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Ranch hand are the best aftermarket bumpers imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Ranch hand are the best aftermarket bumpers imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ranch Hand is the most well known brand. They are also made close to Austin. For a while Ranch Hand shifted production to China and things didn't work out so well. The greedy SOB's once again make bumpers here. The competition now makes bumpers just as good for less. Ranch Hand still tries to capitalize on it's name and sell at higher prices.

There are probably at least a 6-12 companies just in Texas that make after market bumpers. The Bumperdude can get you Ranch Hand, Frontier, Brown, and other brands. I forgot the guys name but he's honest and will tell you the brand names beside Ranch Hand that he can get for you and that they are equally as good. Some like Frontier look more modern and cool then any of the Ranch Hands or even the Brown bumpers I have.

There at least 1-2 companies that make almost clones of Frontiers bumpers because they are so popular. If Frontier made a wrap dually bumper it would have been my choice.

unkownfl
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Sucks that pacbrake kit looks nice but they don't make one for my 2010 f150

Lawn Expert Lawn Care
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
as a fellow ram owner (03 2500 HEMI) i agree 100%!!!!! help so much with heavy bed loads or trailer loads! i have the AirLift System. works nicely!

KrayzKajun
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
David, will these bags help even out the truck & help with towing, when I do a 3" lift in the front? Now to decide which rims to go with, 19.5s or 22.5s milled to 22s. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

S-205
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
22.5's KK... 22.5's.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
David, will these bags help even out the truck & help with towing, when I do a 3" lift in the front? Now to decide which rims to go with, 19.5s or 22.5s milled to 22s. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

The bags with about 10 psi will still lift the truck up a few inches. I usually run 10 PSI at a minimum when empty. The leveling kit and airbags go well together and help prevent you from having a nose down look. You can also see out your back window better.

If you want the best wheels on the market the most popular choices choices are Weld and American Force. You can also get 19.5 or 22.5 Alcoa's in one style for $2800-$3000 from Southwest Wheel. Weld just started making truck wheels again after stopping a few years back when American Racing purchased the company minus the part that made racing wheels for track use. The Weld 19.5's are also about $2800.

The Classic American Force 19.5's are on sale at 4wheelonline.com for $1900. Once you step up to 22.5's it's about $4000.

You need to be aware that the bigger the wheel the harsher the ride will be. Once you get above 19.5's the ride is going to be stiff. The benefit of the taller wheels is the tire types available may last 100K miles.

I had Welds on my last truck but went with cheaper Rock Stars this time. Plus Welds were not available at the time. The Rock Stars are cast aluminum instead of forged aluminum. Cast aluminum can shatter if stressed while the forged will only bend if there is an accident. The factory aluminum wheels on factory HD trucks are all forged.

I would not put cast wheels on a 3/4 ton if you tow heavy since you will be loading the wheels more then you would with a dually. I shattered a Eagle Alloy on my 2500 from putting to much stress on it. Luckily I was turning into a parking lot at slow speed with an empty trailer when a section of the wheel bead just let go and blew out. I ended up running over a piece of the wheel and blew out my back tire as well. After that I purchased forged wheels since wheels are worth dying over.