PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Trimmer Rack From Scratch

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 01:19 AM
It's a challenge trying to make all your stuff fit in an enclosed trailer efficiently. I'm pretty decent at building things so I fab'd up this four place rack. It's made out of 1/2 CDX plywood and uses 2x2 as spacers. The trimmers are 12 OC and the gaps for the blades are 2" wide. The blades do not rest on anything because that would be hard on the gear boxes. Everything is screwed together with course threaded sheetrock screws.

bobcat48
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Looks good.

gibbonsballer10
09-19-2010, 01:52 AM
lookg good, but I have a question, why do you have 4 hedge trimmers, you can only use 1 at a time?

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Actually I have an articulating hedge trimmer as well. I have four employee that are on the mowing crew that uses this trailer.

I also have two 36" hydro Scags with floating decks, a Scag V-Ride 36", a Great Dane 52", a Honda commercial push mower, a back up push mower, three backpack blowers, two back up backpack blowers, four string trimmers on the trailer and four extras in my shop. I even have an extra 12' trailer totally outfitted for mowing. I definitely have more mowing equipment than your average person.

JFGauvreau
09-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Those echos are very good hedge trimmer, just bought myself the new HC-185, its a beast!

knox gsl
09-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I like that rack, its simple cheap and provides alot of protection to your trimmers.

Grass Shark
09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
very nice!!

Tre.Fe
09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
lookg good, but I have a question, why do you have 4 hedge trimmers, you can only use 1 at a time?

:hammerhead: Not everyone on this site is solo...

Plantscape, can you take a picture of it from above with the trimmers outta there?

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I have 2x2's spaces at 2" I think to provide the slot for the trimmer blades. It's important the rack be taller than your longest trimmer so you don't beat up the gear box. If I get a chance I'll get another pic.

WenzelOSLLC
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Do they fit pretty snug or do they rattle around?

Ive made some racks myself and I found that, at least with the 'universal' shovel rack i made, it was somewhat hard to find a way to keep them from bouncing and wearing down the racks.
I'm sure it would be an easy fix but I'm trying to limit myself to what I have on hand.

South Florida Lawns
09-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Unlike most part time solo guys on here with a Saturday worth of work some of us have a crew. In the south things grow at a rapid rate therefore the need for a lot of trimmers is easily justified.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Do they fit pretty snug or do they rattle around?

Ive made some racks myself and I found that, at least with the 'universal' shovel rack i made, it was somewhat hard to find a way to keep them from bouncing and wearing down the racks.
I'm sure it would be an easy fix but I'm trying to limit myself to what I have on hand.

There is very little left to right movement. Front to back there is a little movement but gravity does a good job of holding things in place. You can build the rack with tighter tolerances but then the trimmer might bind up when sliding it in or out.

If you check out the More Pace Pics thread that a week old or so there are more pictures of my handy work.