PDA

View Full Version : Big Tree Take Down

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 02:32 AM
I do arborist work mostly just in the slower winter months. Most of the work is trimming type work. I have all the tree saddles, ropes, and related equipment to do just about anything. This job was the take down of a 45' tall dead Post Oak right next to a million dollar home.

I removed the canopy and then we did a flop and drop with the 5,000 lb trunk. We had three guys on a 5000 lb test rope to make sure the tree went where we wanted it. It's a hell of a challenge taking down a tree like this but it went off without a hitch.

Cloud9Landscapes
09-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Nice work, take it your going to grind the stump? Anyone who is dumb enough to plant a oak like that next to a million dollar home should be hunted down.

JDavisLandscapes
09-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Nice work, take it your going to grind the stump? Anyone who is dumb enough to plant a oak like that next to a million dollar home should be hunted down.

My guess would be the tree was there before the house.....

oakwdman
09-19-2010, 10:22 AM

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

punt66
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM

hahahah ummm tree is much older then that house!

ajslands
09-19-2010, 11:57 AM

:laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat48
09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice job....

DJJS
09-19-2010, 01:46 PM

tree was there before the house:hammerhead:

stan the man
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
good job. i do a lot of tree work to.

Jelinek61
09-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I hope he meant the builder should have had the tree removed before the house was built.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2010, 05:52 PM
My guess would be the tree was there before the house.....

You got it. The tree was a Post Oak which is not a tree you can buy and plant. The tree has deep roots down in the clay layer. In nature the clay layer has wet and dry cycles here in central Texas. Once you irrigate these tree's the clay layer no longer dries out and the tree's die of a fungal infection.

Cloud9Landscapes
09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I hope he meant the builder should have had the tree removed before the house was built.

Man, now I realize why I stick to the irrigation forum. Weeds out most of the smart arse's.

You guys DO realize that there is such thing as a older million dollar home?? But judging by the architecture, I predict that it was built in the early-mid 2000's.

dtriv89
09-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Man, now I realize why I stick to the irrigation forum. Weeds out most of the smart arse's.

You guys DO realize that there is such thing as a older million dollar home?? But judging by the architecture, I predict that it was built in the early-mid 2000's.

That tree obviously was there before the mid 2000's

ajslands
09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
So were the roots invading the foundation.

When I first saw this thread, I though it was going to be some guy asking how to take down a 6' diamater oak tree and had no expirence but looks good
Posted via Mobile Device

slamjamrockinman
09-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Nice pics, and great job. I do arborist work with some of my buddies when I'm not doing lawn/landscape. I like doing it a lot. I'm glad to see your wearing a harness, and a helmet and using the proper techniques of rigging. Ive seen some horribly dangerous pics from other lawn guys trying to be arborists.

Maxify55
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I love to see new homes planted within the reach of a 200-300 year old Live Oak.
It takes ingenuity to build around it
Adds character to the home. As well as, saving a few bucks on heating and cooling costs.
Yeah, it takes a little extra time and costs a little to maintain it.
So what? I've personally lived in and under the spread of Old Growth Oaks with 8 and 10 ft "diameter" trunks. (Not to mention 4 hurricanes in '05 was it?)
Some of these Live Oaks down here in the south were here before the the US Constitution was signed.

We're just care takers.

Knee deep back yard some years in spanish moss, acorns, limbs and leaves some years.