PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Powerslice Question

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a snapper powerslice model PS5000. It would not turnover and the recoil string snapped, I took the recoil off and retied it, now it will not spin at all is there a way to fix this? I can not find a model on the engine all it says is Briggs and Stratton 5hp I/C

Also where can I get the Following parts for it I found some at parts tree as noted but some i could not find at all.

Rear Wheels (PT)
Clutch Cable (PT)
Belt (PT)
Front Wheels

dutch1
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
The Briggs engine numbers, model, type and code should be stamped into the blower housing.

The Snapper site I found lists only a PS5001 and following is a link.

http://www.olsonspower.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/45/Snapper.aspx

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I looked all over the engine and it is not on there. It wanted to start and almost did on the last pull before the rope snapped so I am trying to find new starter rope and from what I can tell I need to know the engine info before I can buy rope
Posted via Mobile Device

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I looked again and found the engine info model 132232 and type 039401
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't believe the Briggs parts break down will tell you the size and length of recoil rope required. All you need is some # 4.0 or 4.5 rope to do the rope repair. If you're unsure, take a chunk of the rope to a dealer and have them match it up.

Restrorob
09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
You don't need a model number to buy a new rope, Just take a piece of the old rope to your local repair shop.

What is it that won't spin, The recoil assembly or the engine ?

When was the last time this machine cranked and ran OK ?

Dutch, Your up another on me !

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 09:58 PM
The machine last ran 2 years ago. The engine turns over with either but does not stay running, as soon as the ether runs out the engine stalls. It wanted to start and was starting to turnover when the rope snapped.

It I read it right it says 5 1/2 starter rope 63" long.
Should I replace the spool and the spring?

I want to get the engine running before I buy all of the other parts that I need
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
5.5 rope is on the large side for this size engine, Dutch is right with 4.5 being good. If there's no issues with the spring or pulley don't replace them. After the new rope is installed just put a couple drops of oil into the center pulley hole, Hold the assembly on it's side and pull the rope a few times to work the oil down into the spring.

If this has been sitting that long you may as well go ahead and pull the tank and carb, Clean them both out and replace the gaskets and diaphragm.

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 11:35 PM
5.5 rope is on the large side for this size engine, Dutch is right with 4.5 being good. If there's no issues with the spring or pulley don't replace them. After the new rope is installed just put a couple drops of oil into the center pulley hole, Hold the assembly on it's side and pull the rope a few times to work the oil down into the spring.

If this has been sitting that long you may as well go ahead and pull the tank and carb, Clean them both out and replace the gaskets and diaphragm.

Ok, I will do that. I have never pulled a carb before, can you provide any resources? What should i clean them with? I will look into getting the gaskets and the diaphragm.

If it matters the engine has good compression

dutch1
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Rob's on the money. If the unit has set for a couple of years it's likely the diagphram has lost it's shape and will not adequately pump fuel. In addition, I have seen the pickup tube varnish up so that the fuel cannot be pulled up to the carb.

As far as a cleaning agent, brake cleaner works as well as anything and its cheaper as well as not as fast drying as carb/choke cleaner. It seems as though the carb dip type cleaner manufacturers have changed their formulations. I've tried Berryman and NAPA brands in recent years and they just don't seem to do the job anymore.

Rob, you're getting to be a slacker. Your trigger finger is getting slower.

Supper Grassy
09-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Do you know where I can find information on removal? Are there any other engine parts that I should get when I order the carb kit, gasket kit and starter rope?
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
09-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't have access to a distributor's website any longer. Following is a parts breakdown.
http://www.wiseequipment.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/10/BriggsStratton.aspx

I have a hard copy of a manual but no scanner to get the info to you.

Rob may be able to come up with the info for you.

If you have mechanical ability, you shouldn't have any problems.

Restrorob
09-20-2010, 12:26 AM
HERE'S (http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-jet_horiz_fixed.asp) a how-too on carb cleaning, You do not have to remove the throttle shaft or welch plug in your case, Shooting brake clean or carb cleaner with the little straw into the mixture adjustment port should clear the ports behind the welch plug.

There's only three screws holding the tank/carb assembly to the engine, Two on the carb and one on the bottom of the tank. Once off you can tear down as shown above.

There's no rebuild kit offered I know of for this engine, All you need is the carb to engine gasket/carb to tank gasket and a diaphragm.

BTW, Take plenty of pics of all the springs and linkage BEFORE you take it all apart. We don't want to deal with all of that afterwords.....

Yeah Dutch, Ya don't have to rub it in !

Supper Grassy
09-20-2010, 06:58 AM
If this is the correct engine manual http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=Z6ntAFVJ1DajI

part 121 is a carb kit which includes the gasket and the diaphragm as shown here http://tewarehouse.com/7-02025

Restrorob
09-20-2010, 10:16 AM
That's the wrong kit, This is the proper kit for your engine; http://tewarehouse.com/7-07053

Supper Grassy
09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
That's the wrong kit, This is the proper kit for your engine; http://tewarehouse.com/7-07053

Thanks! looks like i had the right part number but wrong series.

Should i get any other replacement parts?
spark plug?

Restrorob
09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
As far as I know that's all you need unless you need a new plug.....

piston slapper
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
All brake cleaners are not created equal. The ones that work the best are being taken off the market. I've found that CRC Brakleen in the green can works the best. you dont have to soak the carb,the varnish just dissolves. The auto parts stores dont carry it around here anymore (They sell the brown can but its pretty much useless, wont even start an engine). I have to buy it by the case from a fleet supply company. I guess Brakleen killed to many lab rats in California,

Its good stuff if you can find it...Dont spray any rubber parts you plan on re-using.

Supper Grassy
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
ok.
So i have a new gas tank on because when i removed the carb the upper resivor had water so did the tank which caused rust which when cleaned leaked. Also installed a new spark plug. When i pull the recoil the engine does not turn over. when i add carb cleaner the engine runs until it is burned up so i took the carb off again and the upper resivor has gas in it. so it leads me to believe that the problem is between that and the engine any ideas on what i can try next?

Restrorob
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Did you click on this link I posted above; http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-jet_horiz_fixed.asp and clean the carb step by step as illustrated ?

Supper Grassy
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
i will do that tonight. what type of oil and how much should i add

Restrorob
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
30w or 40w until it's full..... (less than a quart)

Supper Grassy
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
when looking at the pictures on the page you suggested, in picture 14 the brass piece shown has 3 tiny holes in it that appear to be clogged. How can i go about testing this and un clogging them

Restrorob
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Spray with carb & choke cleaner followed by compressed air, Be careful not to blow it out of your hand....

Supper Grassy
10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks a bunch the air did it. Running like a champ
Now
Posted via Mobile Device

Supper Grassy
10-10-2010, 05:28 PM
now the only issue i have is the clutch cable i ordered for the machine is not like the one i took off and will not work. I only found the 50001 when looking for parts so i think it must have been a design change