PDA

View Full Version : Buying and Reselling used commercial equipment opinions wanted

cut level
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
You know as the year winds down and mowers are being sold thru winter and end of the fall at super steal prices. Some are super steal deals, I have ran across a few already but didnt pull the trigger. Payments go on and on thru the winter when no revenue is coming in and guys are unloading equipment just to make pmts to try and last til the spring and then buy another mower or just quit.

I am toying with the idea of maybe picking up 2 or 3 mowers over the course of the next couple of months if I can run across some real deals on some decent mowers. They will definitely be for resale. Buy em clean em up real good maybe touch up paint.

Of course I will be doing this to look to make a little money on the resale but not premium price. I am not doing this with the expectations of making money to pay my bills. I am doing it to tinker with the mowers during the downtime for something to do in between shooting ducks this winter and crappie fishin. More like a hobby simply because I love the machines. The cash I have to do this hobby with is extra money I have stuck back that is earmarked for nothing but my safe. If I got stuck and had to keep a mower because it didnt sell then I would use it in my business until it did to keep it in working order. Whats yalls thoughts?

wahlturfcare
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
i've been doing that for some time now. I have made pretty good so far, i also sell new/used parts to people in my area too. I'm planning on trying to open a mower service part too and still mow as advertising for the brand that is sell.

brawdyre
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I picked up a couple LS Turf Revuitalizers with the intent to resale myself but I am starting to wonder if I made the right decision. It seems that there is not much of a market down in OKC. Up north I am sure they are more prevalent. I know it seems like a no brainer but unless you can get a local buyer it will be a pain in the rear end.

cut level
09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
i've been doing that for some time now. I have made pretty good so far, i also sell new/used parts to people in my area too. I'm planning on trying to open a mower service part too and still mow as advertising for the brand that is sell.

check your pm

cut level
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I picked up a couple LS Turf Revuitalizers with the intent to resale myself but I am starting to wonder if I made the right decision. It seems that there is not much of a market down in OKC. Up north I am sure they are more prevalent. I know it seems like a no brainer but unless you can get a local buyer it will be a pain in the rear end.

Thats the part that kinda worries me. I am not gonna pay for shipping a mower 100% , the buyer can or we can work out a halfway point. Surely the buyer and I can work something out. Do you have experiences where someone out of state wanted the equipment and it not work out due to distance between the 2 of you?

brawdyre
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I am sure if it is part price and part distance but I recently had a guy say he would definately be interested if it wasn't so far. I offered to meet him 3/4 of the way and he never responded once I told him price. Just for full disclosure it was a 6HP LSTR very clean for 2k. I think it is a great price since you almost never see these things come on the market used. But maybe thats just me. Does 2k sound too high to you? For the main point I think most would balk at the distance unless it is a super great deal price wise.

cut level
09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah it would suck to set a meeting up and drive 3 or 4 hours one way to get stood up by someone!

On the LSTR I dont know if it sounds high or not. Whats it cost new?

brawdyre
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah that would definately suck. Not sure how to prevent that. Be a good idea to verify contact info b4 heading out. This years models are $3500 new from the factory. I think some dealers are selling for around $3200. I think the problem is it is such a specialty service with 2 short seasons that some guys just dont want to invest in the machine to do it. I guess they would rather rent. IDK.

SouthSide Cutter
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I was quoted the 9hp and 13hp models around 3200-3600. I thought the 6hp was in the 2000 range. Your right, you dont ever see them used around here either. Getting ready to buy one tomorrow.

brawdyre
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow good prices. Just a couple of months ago the manufacturer quoted me 3500 for the 6hp, 4k for the 9hp, and 4500 for the 13hp. No dealers in my area so no way for me to check there. I guess they price high to protect their dealers. Thats why I looked for a used one.

SouthSide Cutter
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Just ordered a 13hp 24" 3605.00, the 6hp was 2200, and the 9hp was 3200.

CutterCutter
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I am doing it to tinker with the mowers during the downtime for something to do in between shooting ducks this winter and crappie fishin. More like a hobby simply because I love the machines.

Have you ever done anything like that with cars?

Find a car that is sound mechanically but needs detailed. Most importantly a car that you can buy at a good price. There are some hoops to jump through but people buy cars every month of the year, unlike mowers, and the number of people who need a car is way bigger than the number of people who might want to buy a mower.

rwaters
09-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Used equipment can be dangerous I know of dealers that lost thousands on used equipment due to mistakes in value. I also know of them that make money but most do well to break even after it is all said and done. Just be careful and spend time learning prices.

cut level
09-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Havent messed with cars and my father in law is an auto dealer for over 25 years.

I would rather pittle with a couple of mowers or lawncare equipment. Remember guys this would be sorta of a play thing with the hope to make a little money but not looking to pay my bills or anything. Hobby.

brawdyre
09-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Just ordered a 13hp 24" 3605.00, the 6hp was 2200, and the 9hp was 3200.

Where did you order from? Local dealer or manufacturer?

rollinrock
09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
If you would like to sell a few more pieces of used equipment try this idea . . .

Throw up a site where lawn care professionals in your local area can go and get tips on making their business run smoother.

Now set up a form to get their email address. Or you can set up a special page asking guys if they buy used equipment. If you get a positive response then move into getting some equipment.

Then you announce on your site what you have for sale and why you have such a good deal. Do a little maintenance to make sure the equipment works properly. Then maybe offer a 24-48 guarantee. Just to give them reason to buy from you.

Hope that helps.