PDA

View Full Version : Seeding/grass planting

bocat user
09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I've gotten requests to reapair spots/entire small lawns for a few clients. Questions I have:
*is it a good time to seed for bald areas
*is the seed guarenteed to sprout come spring
*wat type of seed/plant(sayzoysia) would work best.
Now, I'm in baltimore with daytime temps around 80 nightime 50s-60s. Wat r your thoughts

Thx n advance for feedback
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
No, no and probably only sod will take in time now.:usflag:

White Gardens
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
No, no and probably only sod will take in time now.:usflag:

Wrong! Only because you guys in FL are used to the warm season grasses.:laugh:

This week is probably the last week you can over-seed and possibly get establishment with cool season grasses. I've done multiple over-seedings this past week and a half only because our weather pattern went from dry and hot, to humid and wet to help with germination.

Get it done now so you'll have some establishment before it starts to frost on a regular basis. Then spot seed in the spring if you need to.

Zosia is a warm season grass and I wouldn't try to seed that now as stated above. Go with a blue-grass blend with about 20% perennial rye in it.

Patriot Services
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Wrong! Only because you guys in FL are used to the warm season grasses.:laugh:

This week is probably the last week you can over-seed and possibly get establishment with cool season grasses. I've done multiple over-seedings this past week and a half only because our weather pattern went from dry and hot, to humid and wet to help with germination.

Get it done now so you'll have some establishment before it starts to frost on a regular basis. Then spot seed in the spring if you need to.

Zosia is a warm season grass and I wouldn't try to seed that now as stated above. Go with a blue-grass blend with about 20% perennial rye in it.

Uh, not wrong the guy asked about Zoysia, not blue grass blend.

White Gardens
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I've gotten requests to reapair spots/entire small lawns for a few clients. Questions I have:
*is it a good time to seed for bald areas
*is the seed guarenteed to sprout come spring
*wat type of seed/plant(sayzoysia) would work best.
Now, I'm in baltimore with daytime temps around 80 nightime 50s-60s. Wat r your thoughts

Thx n advance for feedback
Posted via Mobile Device

He only used it as an example. I took it as asking what kind of seed in general. I would venture to guess in his climate zone, there isn't too many zoysia yards.

My biggest question is, should he know his grasses a little better to come to the conclusion himself?:confused:

Patriot Services
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Probably. There is an old saying " Zoysia is forever" I have 26 zoysia lawns I maintain and they are a pain in the butt. The grass is more invasive than Bermuda and twice as hard to get rid of. A tall fescue of some sort would be his best bet if he really wants to seed.:usflag:

White Gardens
09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Probably. There is an old saying " Zoysia is forever" I have 26 zoysia lawns I maintain and they are a pain in the butt. The grass is more invasive than Bermuda and twice as hard to get rid of. A tall fescue of some sort would be his best bet if he really wants to seed.:usflag:

Ya there has been a slow trend of moving away from the traditional Blue-Grass blends here to more of the newer tall fescues that tend to tolerate the hot dry spells around here. The only problem is over-seeding with fescue as the textures don't match to well with already established lawns.

You'll find yards that have been invaded by either bermuda or zoysia around here. You can always spot the patches in the spring where the warmer grasses stay brown longer.

Nothing you can do about it either, except roundup the area and renovate it and hope you got it all when you sprayed.