PDA

View Full Version : Pine mulch stock pile turned grey in 24 hours!!!!

kj330
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Ok here is a quick overview.

Bought a 80 yard load of Pine mulch. (supplier states it is 75% pine and 25% hemlock). It was delivered on a walking floor trailer. I then peaked it with my 724. It was delivered on thursday of last week, and peaked immediatly. Friday night i went to preload 2 trucks for Saturday morning. I took a ten yard bucket full, and noticed the outside 16 " was grey. It almost looked like ash , or it burned.
I called supplier and of course he said, "he has had no complaints". They ship around 1500 yards a day of this material, so it is freshly ground every day.

I wont use this on any customers yard, in fear it will kill the plants.

I think he got some bad loads. Maybe his supplier snuck in some loads of maple or oak bark. Which from what i gather has, a ton of acid in it. I am thinking way to high of acid content.

Any thoughts?????

kj330
09-21-2010, 09:13 PM
This was not the first load from him. And no other loads have done this...

gene gls
09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds like it should have been aged longer before selling.

kj330
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
When i got the other loads, his grinder was on the other side of the property. Now it is in a different location. So maybe it is not aged???

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds like some mold spores had conditions that were just right to fire up in a short period of time. I've seen mulch that have been in bags too long do this and I've seen mulch just under the surface of a flower bed do this as well. I've also seen mold that looked like a cat puked in the flower bed pop up over night.

Is this mulch composted at all? If it's composted you should have steam coming off the mound when they dumped it out. Usually, mulch would have been ground (primary grind) prior to the composting process starting. Then just prior to bagging it would have been ground even finer.

There shouldn't be any ill effect from the bit of mold. I would just churn in the gray part so the pile is aesthetically pleasing and not worry about it.

White Gardens
09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Is it Pine Bark mulch or Pine Straw?

Mark Oomkes
09-22-2010, 12:51 PM
What is peaked?

What is preloading?

Is it anything like presleeping and preplowing?

Did you ask\tell the supplier to drive on down and take a gander for himself? Maybe you were just the first to complain because the others hadn't looked or preloaded anything yet?

kj330
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Well im not sure if your questions are serious, but i will answer if your serious....He did come down and look at it. And he was stunned. but said it must be something from my loader.(some kind of cross contamination).

Peaked and preloading, ya i think you know

Mark Oomkes
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a cop out to me.

kj330
09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Well he sent a Truck down today. I loaded it and sent it back to him for a full refund. But i still want to know what could cause it

gene gls
09-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Well he sent a Truck down today. I loaded it and sent it back to him for a full refund. But i still want to know what could cause it

Who is your supplier?

Mark Oomkes
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Really now, funny if it was from your loader he is refunding it.

Good to hear that he did the right thing, especially since he knows it wasn't your fault.

kj330
09-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Ya, i know. If it was my loader why would he refund it...BS