PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how well your truck lettering has worked for you.

ROC lawn and landscapes
09-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Im in the process of have a design made for my truck lettering. I am just interested in hearing some of your stories to make me feel better about spending the money on this. Its not a big chunk of change its just that im on a slim budget and Im tryin to do things to get my name out there (very tough by the way:dizzy:).
I appreciate you all looking!

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
09-22-2010, 12:24 AM
I just put mine on. To me it makes you seem more legit and professional. Do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
09-22-2010, 12:38 AM
It will pay for itself MANY times over. We had our enclosed trailer lettered soon after purchasing it, about 5 years ago. It has brought us a lot of work and got our name out there. We have folks comment on it all the time.

You will not regret it one bit. :usflag:

Southern Pride
09-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I don't have lettering just the magnets (but I use my personal truck for work, sorry not that professional yet) but I do not think I have received one call from the magnets lol. My trucks is flashy and lifted. My whole truck, trailer and magnets are all color coordinated black white and red though.

All of my business comes from my quality of work. Around here, lettered or magnet signs on trucks are dime a dozen so I know why I have not received any calls based on this. I didn't expect any anyway, I just like the signs just in case.

Mxrider52
09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Do any of you guys run lettering on the side of your truck or the back window without having commercial tags?

Columbia Care
09-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I have had signs on my truck for over 2 years. I have only had 1 call from it. Most of my new customers come from my current customers referring me to their friends.

Quix
09-22-2010, 08:09 AM
The sign on the back of my trailer landed me a $60 a week account. I am finishing up a large account, phone rings, he asked if I lived there or just took care of the lawn. I told him the house was too big for me, just taking care of it. He gave me his address. I gave him an estimate to which he replied I was too high. Told him for the work I do that would be the cost. Two days later he called and asked when I could start. This led to a $3000 tree job there and other work in the neiborhood. Never leave home without signs, you just never know.

Dwayne

LoweJ82
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Cant wait to sticker my truck up, Having a hard time coming up with a logo I like.

Have had several ppl stop and get my info because it wasnt on truck, Just wounder how many wanted it but didnt want to bother me while I was working.........

flatlander42
09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Mine have paid for itself several times over. Mine has gotten me several weekley accounts to mow, that I have had for a few years. I also make sure my cup holder is full of business cards to hand out to the random passer by.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't have my truck "lettered" but I do have the signs. This thread got me to thinking, its kinda of a toss up. If people actually have to stop and talk to you, there could be a better chance to make a real good impression and win them over. Where as driving by they may scribble down your number and never remember to call. But if they talk to you they'll most likely remember it better. Regardless though, I'll always run signs on my truck(s), just puts you higher on the ladder of professionalism IMO. I'll get my truck(s) lettered evetually, but right now I have other priorities. Image is everything i feel.

GravyTrain
09-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I've got the back glass of my truck lettered with my company name and phone number. I've gotten several people calling looking for jobs, which I think is kind of funny. But I did get a call that led to a $55 every two week cut at which point his neighbor signed me up for a $50 every two week cut. I'll be getting my trailer lettered this winter, but like LoweJ82, I can't get a logo that I like.

Groomer
09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
my truck just says Ford.

wahlturfcare
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
i used to run the magnets or nothing at all. Now the majority of the trucks are all lettered up and love how they stick out everywhere one of them goes. I have gotten aloto f call from mowing when someone sees one of the trucks sitting on the property.

fl-landscapes
09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
everyone has their opinions, I think image is everything, nicely lettered clean trucks

Fireguy97
09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
my truck just says Ford.

I bet that you get a lot of calls with that.

Mick

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

GravyTrain
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
one thing i should add. If you are going to get your truck lettered, take it somewhere and let them do it. I've seen too many guys around my area that went to walmart and purchased a $5 stencil set and tried to do it themselves. If I were a home owner looking for someone to cut my yard, I'd expect them to charge no more than $20, and odds are, I wouldn't even give them a call.

SNAPPER MAN
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
I've had lettering on my trucks for over two years and I'm yet to get a call from it. I'm taking it off both trucks this weekend. It's a waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I landed a customer who in turn gave me a 13k LS Job and from that property I just landed a $350/mo and a $450/mo account. Plus, this property is on a very busy intersection and people ask for my card all the time. It is a very valuable investment.

Around here, most scrubs don't have lettering. You tell me, is a potential customer going to call a number they can't find??

Fireguy97
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I've had lettering on my trucks for over two years and I'm yet to get a call from it. I'm taking it off both trucks this weekend. It's a waste of money.

That makes even less sense than not having lettering on your truck and trailer.

You spend money on advertising. (Lettering) Now you want to take time and effort to remove something that could help you in the future, even if you think that it's not working. You don't pay any extra if you keep it on, and you look more professional. :hammerhead:

Mick

LoweJ82
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I've got the back glass of my truck lettered with my company name and phone number. I've gotten several people calling looking for jobs, which I think is kind of funny. But I did get a call that led to a $55 every two week cut at which point his neighbor signed me up for a $50 every two week cut. I'll be getting my trailer lettered this winter, but like LoweJ82, I can't get a logo that I like.

Try taking decent pics of your truck, Then upload to a graphic design program or anything you can edit photo with dif text styles & logos with transparent backgrounds, Ive found this easier than just trying to picture it on the rig.

I also agree get the work done by a pro, Design your own logo and even have the pro touch it up atleast by having something decent for them to start with your not gonna have to pay for as much design work, Lucky for me I live within 5 blocks of 2 good shops that have been in the nieghborhood for atleast 15-20 years.

GravyTrain
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Try taking decent pics of your truck, Then upload to a graphic design program or anything you can edit photo with dif text styles & logos with transparent backgrounds, Ive found this easier than just trying to picture it on the rig.

I also agree get the work done by a pro, Design your own logo and even have the pro touch it up atleast by having something decent for them to start with your not gonna have to pay for as much design work, Lucky for me I live within 5 blocks of 2 good shops that have been in the nieghborhood for atleast 15-20 years.

I've got a pretty good setup myself, a good friend of mine owns a Trophy Shop, and also does vinyl work as well. His g/f is his graphics person so we trade graphic design and vinyl lettering for lawn care services.

LoweJ82
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
trucks dirty, heres something simple I had tossed together.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae161/LoweLandscaping/99f350006-1.jpg

bignamelawncare
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Truck lettering is a must! It makes you look way more legit and gets your name out there. It has paid for it self over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Martinson9
09-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I think you need to have a good company name and logo. Once we did that we have incoporated it on our trucks, trailers, adverstising, hats, shirts.....

I've seen a few people say image is everything. I agree, so don't go on the cheap. Have a professsional design a memorable eye catching logo. Don't use some cheap stock image some other guy might have.

I just verified today it's worth it. A lady at the local coffee shop saw my logo on my fleece and said "Hey, I just got your post card." Almost a done deal having her sign up for snow plowing.

It's nice to know people are recognizing our logo after only 1 year.

WHIPPLE5.7
09-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I use my trucks for personal use as well as business and don't want a billboard on wheels at certain times. I've tried it one truck before and it got me nothing so I took it off. Same thing with the enclosed trailer. I use it to haul the Rzr up the mountains and thats a time I don't want lettering on the trailer. I like my rigs looking stock and simple.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
It helps, but not as well a television commercials have.

James

SNAPPER MAN
09-24-2010, 08:53 PM
The reason I do not want it on my trucks is because sometimes I drive a work truck home and don't like driving a landscape truck to a nice place with friends or a girl. Just my opinion though.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollinrock
09-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I want to give you guys a few resources, but first a little bit of a rant.

I don't think lettering your truck is going to really help. Let me explain why:

You are not giving someone a reason to call you. PERIOD.

Try this and let me know how it works. On the back of your truck put up a sign that says, " Are you satisfied with your lawn care? or maybe Does your lawn guy show up on time?"

This will get potential clients thinking.

On a slow day you could even sit at the top of an over pass, throw a banner over the side and site back with your cell phone in hand during rush hour.

I want people to think I am crammed full of business. If I pull up to a clients house I want my vehicles clean. I think my named plastered on the side of my vehicle looks cheesy.

Maybe have a sign made with your contact information. Put it out in front of each job your doing while you are working. Then take it down when you are finished.

Now for a few resources:

To get logos made and to get some killer ideas: www.99designs.com

Get a site and set it up with an answering machine so you can call clients back.

You can get an online number through skype.com for like $30 for 3 months. when someone calls yoru online number you can have it go to voicemail or transfer to your cell phone. I recommend voicemail. Then set up a time during the day to do your follow ups.

I don't want people calling me while I'm sitting on a mower. I want my mind clear to ansewr their questions and make then feel important.

ROC lawn and landscapes
11-07-2010, 12:12 AM
I bit the bullet. :cool2:

Mxrider52
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Looks good. Where do you guys get those rear window decals? I was thinking about going this route. I guess you get them made from a decal shop?

ROC lawn and landscapes
11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
The decal shop that I used has a perforated material that they use for the back window so you can see through it from the inside.

topsites
11-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Before spending money on those letters I hope someone told
you folks that you also need commercial insurance.

Especially once you have letters, even without, but definitely with.

KS_Grasscutter
11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
The only reason I got lettering on my truck was for DOT compliance. Had to have business name,DOT number, city and state, and GVW so I went ahead and had them throw the phone number on there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

coastallandscapesolutions
11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
All our trucks are lettered. Remember, keep it simple and not busy. We get a lot of business from our trucks.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs976.snc4/76924_162152000490992_148742328498626_290652_6972284_n.jpg

Lawn Enforcer
11-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I got a simple 12"x16" decal in my back window, just as a small start to see if I like lettering or not. I got 3 calls from it within the first week. People are typically afraid to just approach you when working, lettering allows them to just get the number and keep moving along and call you later that day or night. I paid $17 per decal, and I already decided to letter up my truck next spring, nothing huge, just simple and to the point. And it's all about name recognition and repeat sightings. You can buy newspaper advertising, and it's there for a week, or, you can get a truck lettered and it's there for good.

knox gsl
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnoftheMonth
11-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I got 2 new customers this week from my truck lettering.

rhalverson
11-12-2010, 07:10 AM
My truck lettering cost 300.00and has paid for itself 30 times over in three years. Also, people tell me " I always see your trucks in the neighborhood."

I don't have "trucks." I have one truck.

weeble67
11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I have my enclosed trailer done. I though the rolling billboard would get me more attention, and I would get my name out. Honestly this is the first season with it on there, but I haven't gotten a single call from it. I have however gotten my name out. People who do call from my other sources of advertising say I've seen your trailer. So in my opinion it is worth the money. People are able to put a picture of my rig with my name, and are able to see the quality work I provide as it sits in front of a customers house.