PDA

View Full Version : should i buy this bobcat ztr

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-11-2002, 09:51 PM
i have a chance to buy a used 62" bobcat ztr.it's about 2 years old with about 330 hours on it .the machine was never taken care of .it needs a few things but it works fine.the guy when out of busness, i offered him 2,000 to start with. im a scag man so im looking for a deal . what do you guys think.

Mowingman
08-11-2002, 10:47 PM
I had a Bobcat ZTR and it was built like a tank. It would take a licking and keep on ticking. It probably is a good deal at that price, as you could replace every major component and still not have too much in the machine. Engine would be my biggest concern, but I would probably buy it if I could get it for under 3000.00.:D

LAWNGODFATHER
08-12-2002, 12:13 AM
Hydro wheel motor $350 plus install, bleed system, $900

Hydro pump $350 plus install, bleed system, $900

$1400 for the hydro system plus labor when done you are at $3600.

Engine $1800 or less plus install.

That's $5400 and the $2000 for it and you have a brand new 61" Bobcat.

It could be a good deal but I would be leary. I had problems with that mower in the past.

Mowingman
08-12-2002, 12:32 AM
The chances of anything being wrong with the hydro system at 300 hrs is almost nil. Unless they opened the hydro tank and poured in dirt I can see no way the hydro system could be damaged, even if machine was not taken care of. If you get machine, change hydro filter and put in Mobil 1 oil. Engine should be ok, but if air filter was not changed, it could have ingested dirt. If so, you might only get 1000hrs or so before a rebuild is needed. Again, chances of needing a complete engine are very slim. If that machine was near me, I would buy it quick.:D

LAWNGODFATHER
08-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Mowingman
you could replace every major component and still not have too much in the machine.

As you said and I only posted 3 components.

But I had 3 and none of them came close to 1000 hours before all of that had been replaced, not once, not twice but 3 times. It doesn't take only or just dirt to ruin any part of those posted above. Unfortunitly Kohler had a bad series of engines duing this time and I paid the price for that with down time.

But I still am all Kohler!! They made sure I was taken care of unlike Ransome/Cushman/Ryan, was not Textron at that time.

Sorry you can keep them.

I did see you wrote "HAD" why no longer?

Before anyone gets me wrong this mower sells for around $7,000 and is not a bad mower, I guess I just got the ones with the bugs still in them.

Mowingman
08-12-2002, 12:53 AM
LGF,
Dealer quit selling them and was not going to carry parts, but would order them when needed. Since I had about 1000 troublefree hrs. on mine, I figured something was going to need replaced soon and I would be waiting who knows how long for parts. Decided it was time to let her go. Also have been upgrading to Diesel or higher horsepower machines. I loved my Bobcat. It never gave me any trouble at all and it got some hard use during the time I had it. It made the money that allowed me to by several more machines.:D

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-12-2002, 01:35 AM
thanks for the quick replies.it has a 22 hp kawasaki engine.they left it outside i think for a year it is a little weathered. but it worked just fine. the oil was dirty. i offered him $2000. i'll find out in a day or two if he will bite.the guy was a scrub and went out of business. and just left all of his equipment on his trailer and walk away from it . i'll keep you guys posted.