PDA

View Full Version : How much should i charge for leaf clean ups.

olebrooklawn
09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a yard that takes me an hour to cut and weedeat. Im gonna have to blow the leaves in a pile and bag them. What yall guys think?

MJS
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
How many leaves are we talking here? Three big oak trees is gonna be different than a forest of Maple trees or even one Sweetgum tree.

In general, the bare minimum I charge on leaf cleanup is 3x to 4x more than the weekly mowing price.

ed2hess
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
In your area you should be able to just mulch them. Don't blow them before you mulch it just fluffs them up. We don't charge any extra. We do blow out the beds and around trees and kinda blow any debris toward the mower that is going in circle working stuff to the center.

olebrooklawn
09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I dont have a bagger on my mower. I do have brand new gator mulch blades. Do you think if i run over the leafs enough i wont have to bag any?

MJS
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I only took about four loads of leaves to the dump last fall... I ran gators on my mowers and double cut everything. Sawdust.

But I still charge a good bit more for the leaf cleanup - including the garden cleanup. Mostly what we have around here is pin oaks, and when they drop, they really drop.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
5.00 and a bottle of pepsi.

GravyTrain
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't know how you guys get away with mulching leaves. Even this afternoon, I had a yard that I had to blow leaves on a tarp before I could start mowing. When oak trees let go of their leaves, you can be knee deep in leaves before you know it. You guys without that problem should count your blessings.

I had a yard I did 2 years ago, I filled my 6x12 with 5 foot sides 3 times before I was done.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't know how you guys get away with mulching leaves. Even this afternoon, I had a yard that I had to blow leaves on a tarp before I could start mowing. When oak trees let go of their leaves, you can be knee deep in leaves before you know it. You guys without that problem should count your blessings.

I had a yard I did 2 years ago, I filled my 6x12 with 5 foot sides 3 times before I was done.

I'm counting them and by the grace of God I'll be cutting almost full speed for a few more months.

HighGrass
09-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Around here, it works out to about $100/hr plus disposal. After about 3 hours though, that rate usually drifts to about $90/hr plus disposal.
If there's alot of hand raking, then the price varies yet again. But as a rule, I usually am on the machine 80% of the time with the rest of the time using the back pack blower.
If it was a lawn that I'm JUST using the back pack blower on, I charge about $50/hr.

STIHL GUY
09-28-2010, 01:09 PM
i charge by the hour for leaf cleanups and a dump fee

dKoester
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
As for my company, I charge per man hour. You should also know what it cost your company to run per hour as well.

OrganicsMaine
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
you should charge by the hour, even if you are just mulching them, you will still be doing more work to make the place look clean.

You should be able to mulch a reasonable amount of leaves up pretty well. Get them centrally located and then go through the pile a few times. Then on your final cut, they will be chopped up more and dispersed all over the lawn.

andyslawncare
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Charge by the job or by the hour. Leaves are a pain! be sure to charge enough, or you'll be pissed at yourself.

scagwildcat
10-01-2010, 07:25 AM
good advise guys, but after reading this, i couldnt stop thinking of those people every fall that say in a shocked voice, YOU WANT $$$$ just TO BLOW LEAVES! I feel like saying to them YOU GET HOW MUCH JUST TO SIT AT A DESK? LOL

OrganicsMaine
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I always think about what it is worth to the customer. Do they really want to spend the better part of a day....or more....raking, hauling, and dumping leaves? Then when I give them the price, I don't feel so bad knowing that they would either have to take a day off from work costing them money or spend a Sat. or Sunday doing it, which most of them really don't want to do. As long as the price isn't outrageous, usually not a problem.

Marcos
10-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I dont have a bagger on my mower. I do have brand new gator mulch blades. Do you think if i run over the leafs enough i wont have to bag any?

That's the best way to do it so long as the amount of leaves aren't too overwhelming. :waving:

Personally, what I like to do is put mulching blades on, then rig a piece of heavy duty plastic hardware mesh/cloth around the opening where the discharge chute normally attaches.
This set up allows for a certain amount of air to blow out the discharge area, but retains the leaves under the deck a long time so the gators can pulverize them.
Every once & a while I'll carefully squirt the clippings off the plastic mesh with a garden hose.

But....you probably wouldn't want to mow soaking wet turf & leaves with this kind of set up!

And always have extra mesh around, in case you launch broken bottle through it!

stan the man
10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I always think about what it is worth to the customer. Do they really want to spend the better part of a day....or more....raking, hauling, and dumping leaves? Then when I give them the price, I don't feel so bad knowing that they would either have to take a day off from work costing them money or spend a Sat. or Sunday doing it, which most of them really don't want to do. As long as the price isn't outrageous, usually not a problem.

and you know how many leaves they get in yarmouth i done my account they have a lot

OrganicsMaine
10-01-2010, 01:56 PM
and you know how many leaves they get in yarmouth i done my account they have a lot

Wait until the oaks start dropping, that is when it gets crazy!

stan the man
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Wait until the oaks start dropping, that is when it gets crazy!
not much longer

bonzo1012
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
never do a cleanup for under $100. Take a look at the yard come up with a ball park price($150-$200-$250-$300+) add $50 if they don't like the price take off the $50, ive gotten a lot of cleanups this way enough to go out and buy a leaf loader.

illvizions80
10-02-2010, 01:01 AM
i bought a set of the gator blades for my ferris , i wasnt very pleased of the job they did. Maybe i got a bad set. they seemed very thin and chinsey. I make sure i have a good set of high lift blades on.