PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Work and Equipment Set-up

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Havent been on much this season and have been really trying to take pictures of work so i finally go some pictures of a couple house's for you guys. Also, i got a picture of my car lettered and my set-up for right now. I just bought a 18hp Billy goat vac and it should be here in the next few days, and i picked up a 13hp billy goat force blower for the clean ups this season. Next purchase hopefully pretty soon is a f-550 11' monroe dump, or a f-350 with a stainless steel dump. Which ever i can get a better deal on and if i want to get a cdl yet or not, and pay the insurance. I am looking to get (2) either f-250's with boss v-xt's or f-350 with the v-xt's in the next month of so for the commercials and sub work i got for plowing. I dont want to use the ole half ton for plowing. Heres some pictures of work and my truck and equipment. More pictures will be up weekly since my dad finally left his camera home for me.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:00 PM
And some more. The last picture of the green house i did the full landscaping and seeding job. I

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
And some more pictures with the new vantage and some decent stripes which you cant see very well. It was my first time on the mower and it does take ALOTT of getting used to

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Heres some more of a couple weeks back

bobcat48
09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Lookin good.eveything is nice.how have u guys been.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Here was a house i mow where the guy next door has another service that is always there when we are there. ANd the guy always wants to talk. He is mexican and tells me every time about how is boss pays him 1100 dollars a week to mow 25 small lawns a day, 6 days per week. hah. The guy in a red shirt is my employee.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
and some more

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Here are some of a mulch job we did. If you can see on the other side of the fence all the weeds, Thats what it looked like. I wish i had before and after. And some Hosta and Boxwood transplanting from the neighbors house.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Lookin good.eveything is nice.how have u guys been.

we have been busier than ever. Actually quite a few accounts with all the drought i have barely mowed. Like once in 4-5 weeks and its still dead. The weeds are just growing through the grass. But the irrigation system installs have really been helping.

bobcat48
09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
we have been busier than ever. Actually quite a few accounts with all the drought i have barely mowed. Like once in 4-5 weeks and its still dead. The weeds are just growing through the grass. But the irrigation system installs have really been helping.

Yeah well thats good.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
some more grass mowing and a small stump removal with the biggest piece of shiot ever

rockycrab
09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Great! Now.. I do not believe I have ever seen such outstanding stripes from a rotorary mower without some sort of roller attachment. How are you doing these stripes? Love to see someone still cross cutting, i just about have to break arms to get this done by my crews.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah well thats good.

how have you been lately?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Here is the last of them and another set up picture

bobcat48
09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
how have you been lately?

Have been good.usual 10 yards i do..since with school,homework.yeah only 15
yeah 10 is good for me for nw thats all i can handle lol.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Great! Now.. I do not believe I have ever seen such outstanding stripes from a rotorary mower without some sort of roller attachment. How are you doing these stripes? Love to see someone still cross cutting, i just about have to break arms to get this done by my crews.

haha. Cross cutting and diamond cuttting is the way to go if you dont want the lawn to die, in most of my lawns you can see three destinct lines from different angles.

I have trouble striping with the 36 but my employee is good at it and they are stright. I have to go super slow with the 36 to get straight lines with it but with the 60" its like i dont even have to think and it just come naturally.

I took my roller off because it was bending over the grass WAY to much even on the highest setting. I did have one though it made the lawns not look to great

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Have been good.usual 10 yards i do..since with school,homework.yeah only 15
yeah 10 is good for me for nw thats all i can handle lol.

well good for you. ten is a perfect amount that how many i had when i was your age. Maybe a little more but school was wayyy to easy for me in high school . I almost never had homework and if i did i did it in school. I graduated with a 3.7.

bobcat48
09-22-2010, 11:32 PM
well good for you. ten is a perfect amount that how many i had when i was your age. Maybe a little more but school was wayyy to easy for me in high school . I almost never had homework and if i did i did it in school. I graduated with a 3.7.

Thanks..yeah.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks..yeah.

How do you like your cub cadet? I hate my cub snow blower, r their mowers any better?

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
How do you like your cub cadet? I hate my cub snow blower, r their mowers any better?

I like it,no problems really,cuts great.like it.for what i do its great.and i have there 21'' also like that too.dont take it out alot.thats just sits in the garage.yeah u got the big snowblower.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I like it,no problems really,cuts great.like it.for what i do its great.and i have there 21'' also like that too.dont take it out alot.thats just sits in the garage.yeah u got the big snowblower.

Im glad you like yours. I always see the 33" at home depot but never see anyone have them.

My snowblower is a beast and can do a lot of properties in a short amount of time, but i would have much rathe spend alomst 2600 for a plow or towards a plow and then get a smalle single stage snow blower.

The blower is great, i just cant get the versitiliy to justify the amount i paid. And also it was in the shop for 3 weeks the second week i had it getting new parts. I dont even want to take it out of the garage this year .ahh

Kennedy Landscaping
09-23-2010, 10:22 AM

I know your talking about the walk behinds Cub makes, but I just retired a Cub Cadet push mower that served me pretty good. I do alot of work with it and it held up pretty good. But recently it started giving me a bunch of trouble so I decided to take it off the line. It will be going to the scrapyard soon probably.

Also, one thing I noticed, the grass in the sidewalk cracks on a few of your accounts. :nono: Other than that everything looks really good man. Keep it up, glad to hear your having a good season.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Here are some more.

stuntmanlogan
09-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey what size deck did you buy for your vantage?

mowerdude777
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Very nice hows the vantage.

FuturePilot4u
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
good work, you do have nice lawns though, its all about the lawn really

murrayslandscaping22
09-23-2010, 07:56 PM
looks good man looks real good how many accounts are you up too?

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Im glad you like yours. I always see the 33" at home depot but never see anyone have them.

My snowblower is a beast and can do a lot of properties in a short amount of time, but i would have much rathe spend alomst 2600 for a plow or towards a plow and then get a smalle single stage snow blower.

The blower is great, i just cant get the versitiliy to justify the amount i paid. And also it was in the shop for 3 weeks the second week i had it getting new parts. I dont even want to take it out of the garage this year .ahh

Yeah thanks.yeah i see one today it was a homewoner cuttin his yard with it.but 1 time i seen it on a lcos trailer.this was about a year ago.yeah thats good.yeah..

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
the only time i saw it was on a trailer of a lco too. Their name is Gator Lawn Corp. And have extreamly dirty fat mexicans doing all their work for them with ripped clothes, beat up trailers, and 72" exmarks on less than a 1/4 acre.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
looks good man looks real good how many accounts are you up too?

i am at around 60 as of right now, i started with around 64 but i lost a couple, gained a couple and let some go from issues i had with pricing and dates of cut. They seem to always want to tell me the days when im there. And they are always wrong and im sick of taking the blame.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
good work, you do have nice lawns though, its all about the lawn really

thanks, i try to make the quality of cut better than everyone around and take a little extra time and care at each property. Im also really fed up with tearing up the wet turf on some properties where the grass root system isnt even in the ground , its just right ontop.

the xs is a really heavy mower

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
the only time i saw it was on a trailer of a lco too. Their name is Gator Lawn Corp. And have extreamly dirty fat mexicans doing all their work for them with ripped clothes, beat up trailers, and 72" exmarks on less than a 1/4 acre.

Hahaha ok...yeah tell me about i know i companmy that does down the block from me 60''about the same 1/4 acre maybe little more when they hafd a 36'' and 48''wb come on.yeah i see that alot.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey what size deck did you buy for your vantage?

I got the 52" deck and 24hp kawi . And im not sure if i like it or not yet. I have 30 days to say if i like it or not and 30 days to return it for a restocking fee if its under 45 hrs.

The controls are decent but it is really hard to balance. They make the feature that you can operate it without the standing plate, but honestly it is just dangerous. The controls are so touchy one little pull back if you loose balance and that mower is over you, in a split second.

The first 5 lawns with it were sooo shakey and i couldnt hold a straight line, but it got easier.

Lets just say this. If you are in the market for a 52" walk behind. GET THE VANTAGE. BUTTTTT. If you are in the market for a rider. DONTTTTT GET THE VANTAGE. It is extreamly hard to cut at fast speeds and trying to hold on at the same time.

It is more productive than a walk behind, and less productive than a rider! I WOULD NEVER REPLACE A RIDER WITH A VANTAGE!!!!!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Very nice hows the vantage.

its not as great as i thought it would be to be completely honest. and i am actually thinking about taking it back. Read the post above this to see what i mean. I thought it would be able to take the place of a rider so i dont have to sit all day. but it is way less productive and slows me down a lot. I think im going to return it and get the 29hp EFI Lazer with a 60" Ultra Cut series 6 deck. It will suit me a lot better and increase productivity rather than decrease

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Hahaha ok...yeah tell me about i know i companmy that does down the block from me 60''about the same 1/4 acre maybe little more when they hafd a 36'' and 48''wb come on.yeah i see that alot.

I use a 60 on the smaller thicker properties but that is because i had a 36 and the 60 cuts far better and i can leave a nice stripe. But i dont bother cutting the extreamly small yards with the 60. Like you see in my pics. Thats all with a 60, and thats about as small as i can go.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I know your talking about the walk behinds Cub makes, but I just retired a Cub Cadet push mower that served me pretty good. I do alot of work with it and it held up pretty good. But recently it started giving me a bunch of trouble so I decided to take it off the line. It will be going to the scrapyard soon probably.

Also, one thing I noticed, the grass in the sidewalk cracks on a few of your accounts. :nono: Other than that everything looks really good man. Keep it up, glad to hear your having a good season.

That was cleaned up this week. We usually tend to do the cracks on inbetween the sidewalks REALLY good every other week. I cant justify a newedger blade to get it done right every 3 or 4 properties. I actually just got these great new edger blades that last soo much longer than my home depot edger blades. like instead of a day of use they get almost 2 weeks of use.

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I use a 60 on the smaller thicker properties but that is because i had a 36 and the 60 cuts far better and i can leave a nice stripe. But i dont bother cutting the extreamly small yards with the 60. Like you see in my pics. Thats all with a 60, and thats about as small as i can go.

Yeah oh..ok.sounds good.:cool2:

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah oh..ok.sounds good.:cool2:

i think a 52 for small lawns is perfect size

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
i think a 52 for small lawns is perfect size

Yeah that is good.i wish i had a 36'' or even 48''.yeah but im doing good for now like i said.but a bigger deck would be nice..

rockycrab
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
That was cleaned up this week. We usually tend to do the cracks on inbetween the sidewalks REALLY good every other week. I cant justify a newedger blade to get it done right every 3 or 4 properties. I actually just got these great new edger blades that last soo much longer than my home depot edger blades. like instead of a day of use they get almost 2 weeks of use.

Don't know about your pesticide status, but, get some Round-up or one of its many generics. Spray those suckers and save your blade and the concrete.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Don't know about your pesticide status, but, get some Round-up or one of its many generics. Spray those suckers and save your blade and the concrete.

good idea. I didnt even think about that. Weeds here grow sooo quick its unreal. like literally 3 days to grow a 5 inch weed

MLAWCARE
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Everything looks great!! :usflag:

KE-llc
09-24-2010, 11:53 PM
how many guys do you have working for you?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-25-2010, 03:28 AM
how many guys do you have working for you?

i have one full time for mowing and then 4 part time for landscaping jobs so we can get them done way quicker when we arent mowing. Im looking to have a pure lawn mowing crew 5 days per week next year and a pure landscaping crew 5 days a week too. I need to land some more jobs but i think we are on the right tract.

ShooterK2
09-25-2010, 07:47 AM
good idea. I didnt even think about that. Weeds here grow sooo quick its unreal. like literally 3 days to grow a 5 inch weed

Or just take the string trimmer after them. It's quick, easy, and won't cost you an edger blade every day.

Good stuff in this thread. Nice equipment, and your work looks great.

KE-llc
09-25-2010, 10:34 AM
i have one full time for mowing and then 4 part time for landscaping jobs so we can get them done way quicker when we arent mowing. Im looking to have a pure lawn mowing crew 5 days per week next year and a pure landscaping crew 5 days a week too. I need to land some more jobs but i think we are on the right tract.

thats what I'm looking to do at well. I really like your logo and truck...and I usually hate the look of 1500s hahaha

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-25-2010, 03:51 PM
thats what I'm looking to do at well. I really like your logo and truck...and I usually hate the look of 1500s hahaha

hah i hated the look when i got it too. It looks so peuni. I tried to make it look like the 2500 power wagon. I want to paint my front upper bumper the power wagon color and my door moldings like the power wagon too. And then get som A/T Since my new 280 dollar tires are bald after 6000 miles this summer. I hate shelling out cash for tires once a year cuz i have the trailer on my truck 5 days a week.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Or just take the string trimmer after them. It's quick, easy, and won't cost you an edger blade every day.

Good stuff in this thread. Nice equipment, and your work looks great.

yea i will definitly start using my string trimmer doing that. Not many houses have them but thats a way better idea and string line is way cheaper than edger blades.

teamgreendude
09-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Jason,
Looks like you've done pretty good this year. Did you get another lazer as well as the vantage to ? I'm still debating if I want the vantage or get a toro 597 for this big 75 acre park I'll be bidding on, I guess I could use the vantage to follow behind like a toro 455-d ? I also have an 18 horse power billy goat on order and I'm super exited to try it out. Also if you had a 75 acre park to bid what would you put in for the price ?
Thanks,
James

Kennedy Landscaping
09-26-2010, 12:24 AM
hah i hated the look when i got it too. It looks so peuni. I tried to make it look like the 2500 power wagon. I want to paint my front upper bumper the power wagon color and my door moldings like the power wagon too. And then get som A/T Since my new 280 dollar tires are bald after 6000 miles this summer. I hate shelling out cash for tires once a year cuz i have the trailer on my truck 5 days a week.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but when I got my new tires I told them it towed a trailer nearly every day of the week, they did my alignment specifically for towing so the tires would wear better. I also put a heavier ply tire on as well and it seems to help quite a bit.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Jason,
Looks like you've done pretty good this year. Did you get another lazer as well as the vantage to ? I'm still debating if I want the vantage or get a toro 597 for this big 75 acre park I'll be bidding on, I guess I could use the vantage to follow behind like a toro 455-d ? I also have an 18 horse power billy goat on order and I'm super exited to try it out. Also if you had a 75 acre park to bid what would you put in for the price ?
Thanks,
James

If i hada 75 acre field to mow, no obsticles or anything. With two mowers cutting at around 7 mph. Thats around 5 acress per hour per mower. Thats 10 acres per hour and prob around 10 hours with mowing, using less than the 60" deck, and trimming, edging(if needed) and cleaning up. If you think about your expenses. 10 hours per week could be 750 dollars to mow if your labor rates are 75 per hour. As far as i know , i wouldnt even want to mow that if i wasnt getting at leased 600 per day. If it took me two days i would charge accordingly to my overhead and equipment wear and gas prices.

Biding something that big is up to you and your company. I cant bid for you because we are two different companys. Add up how many lawns you can mow in a day and how much each lawn is pulling in. Lets say 30 lawns a day at 35 each. That is 1050 for the day and you are moving from property to property in between. If you could do this in the same amount of time charge a little less because your using less gas, and figure the pricing for YOUR company out. I would charge around 750-800 for that. Mainly because i would rather to a lush green lawn than a brown field. Just me. I like making my work look perfect. And 75 acres of straight lines is pretty hard to do.

Let me know if this helps. and if you get the winning bid. good luck

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if it would make a difference but when I got my new tires I told them it towed a trailer nearly every day of the week, they did my alignment specifically for towing so the tires would wear better. I also put a heavier ply tire on as well and it seems to help quite a bit.

What do you think the best tires to get are? for a 20 inch rim

DQL10
09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
What do you think the best tires to get are? for a 20 inch rim

Great looking rig and exceptional looking work. For the tires, I have the GoodYear Eagle something or another for the 20 inch rim, but for a ford. My dad has a 1500 just like yours and he just put on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on his truck and loves them. Definitely a heavier ply tire will be better for lots of driving and towing, but they dont ride as soft as say a P rated tire.

KE-llc
09-26-2010, 03:34 PM

hahaha when I first saw the truck the first thing I thought was it was a power wagon so you're doing a good job on it!

I hear you about tires, I blew $750 on a set of cooper s/t's and they lasted 10,000 miles and were BALD! We only used them for plowing too! Cooper basically told me to eff off so last time I buy them...

speaking of plowing will you be this winter?

Kennedy Landscaping
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my truck. Pretty aggressive A/T tire in my opinion, they've got pretty decent side lugs and they have done really well in all conditions so far, I can get through mud with no problems, even towing. I haven't gotten to try them in snow yet though.
The second picture is one of the back tires, almost 6,000 miles and no noticeable wear yet....

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my truck. Pretty aggressive A/T tire in my opinion, they've got pretty decent side lugs and they have done really well in all conditions so far, I can get through mud with no problems, even towing. I haven't gotten to try them in snow yet though.
The second picture is one of the back tires, almost 6,000 miles and no noticeable wear yet....

wow those do have some nice tread left! mine are as old as your or a little newer and the wear bar is completely bald! i think that is crap. Im going to talk to the bell tire guys tomorrow where i got them put on

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Great looking rig and exceptional looking work. For the tires, I have the GoodYear Eagle something or another for the 20 inch rim, but for a ford. My dad has a 1500 just like yours and he just put on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on his truck and loves them. Definitely a heavier ply tire will be better for lots of driving and towing, but they dont ride as soft as say a P rated tire.

Thanks for the comments. I am going to research tires a lot before winter months hit us hard. I will definitly keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
hahaha when I first saw the truck the first thing I thought was it was a power wagon so you're doing a good job on it!

I hear you about tires, I blew $750 on a set of cooper s/t's and they lasted 10,000 miles and were BALD! We only used them for plowing too! Cooper basically told me to eff off so last time I buy them...

speaking of plowing will you be this winter?

Im glad to hear that it is looking like one, i want to get the heavy duty rims, and a winch mount in front. I think that would make it perfect, and the painting. But about the tires! i hate maintenance charges on my truck especially tires. They should be lasting so much longer than they actually are and im not even a crazy driver. I have a fricken trailer on. haha.

I also had a problem with my front rotors. MY car is sitting in the shop now. I got my brakes and rotors redone last thursday because on the highway my car was shaking like crazy when i was breaking. (shaking side to side).... When i got my car back on thursday night, i was breaking and my brake pedal was pulsating like crazy. I went on the highway with my trailer and practically lost control of the truck it was so bad . Keep in mind these were brand new rotors and pads. I couldnt figure it out so hopefully the guys who installed them can. It was seriously really dangerous.

About plowing. I actually got around 25 commercial industrial accounts from my employees uncle who owns all the buildings. I am going to, hopefully soon, but either 2 f-350's or 2 f-250's with v-xt plows on them. And either put a blade on my truck or get a f-550 dump that is forsale right by my house for a really good price. All the trucks are going to be 2010. The 250 or 350 will be a 5.4 v8 triton and the dump will be a 6.3 diesel. I am really hoping to get the first pre-payment no later than October 20th so i we can get these trucks. The accounts themselves are around 30,000 sq/ft parking lots and a 20ft road around the whole property that can just be windrowed to the sides. and range from 800-1600 per push plus salt.

Im really excited about snow this year. Hopefully it can give my company some momentum to grow double or tripple in the next couple years.

KE-llc
09-27-2010, 12:36 AM
That's a lot of work to just hand over to someone younger with virtually no experience in the snow removal aspect. You better have a good insurance coverage and keep up on those places. I bet they have a zero tolerance policy.
Posted via Mobile Device

KE-llc
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Also how in the world are you getting financing on three new trucks??
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Also how in the world are you getting financing on three new trucks??
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I am young but i know what i am doing. I have a blizzard clause in the contract. A trigger depth of 2 inches. I have 5 hours by snowfall end to do all of them. It is actually a very leniant porperty owner because the work they do involves machining and selling of auto parts and wholesale parts.

With the trucks, i am not financing them. The only one i am financing is the deisel dump truck to get credit on my name. I am buying both the f-250's or 350's(not sure yet) outright with the pre-payment for the contracts. and then with the deisel i will finance around 35k over 60 months. And i already am qualified for the auto loan at my bank.

teamgreendude
09-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Im glad to hear that it is looking like one, i want to get the heavy duty rims, and a winch mount in front. I think that would make it perfect, and the painting. But about the tires! i hate maintenance charges on my truck especially tires. They should be lasting so much longer than they actually are and im not even a crazy driver. I have a fricken trailer on. haha.

I also had a problem with my front rotors. MY car is sitting in the shop now. I got my brakes and rotors redone last thursday because on the highway my car was shaking like crazy when i was breaking. (shaking side to side).... When i got my car back on thursday night, i was breaking and my brake pedal was pulsating like crazy. I went on the highway with my trailer and practically lost control of the truck it was so bad . Keep in mind these were brand new rotors and pads. I couldnt figure it out so hopefully the guys who installed them can. It was seriously really dangerous.

About plowing. I actually got around 25 commercial industrial accounts from my employees uncle who owns all the buildings. I am going to, hopefully soon, but either 2 f-350's or 2 f-250's with v-xt plows on them. And either put a blade on my truck or get a f-550 dump that is forsale right by my house for a really good price. All the trucks are going to be 2010. The 250 or 350 will be a 5.4 v8 triton and the dump will be a 6.3 diesel. I am really hoping to get the first pre-payment no later than October 20th so i we can get these trucks. The accounts themselves are around 30,000 sq/ft parking lots and a 20ft road around the whole property that can just be windrowed to the sides. and range from 800-1600 per push plus salt.

Im really excited about snow this year. Hopefully it can give my company some momentum to grow double or tripple in the next couple years.

I guess thats the problem with dodges I've heard. I'm hoping to get a snowex vee pro 8500 and a Fisher extreme v mounted on my duramax this winter hopefully.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
it sucks being without my truck the rotors are warped again, idk how that happened within 2 minutes of driving.

Nice, i prefer boss i guess i'm just partial to them because of dealer support. getting 24hr service and parts whenever i need them

J&R Landscaping
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Nice pics and set-up!

Jelinek61
09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Three new trucks is a big step. Hope the snow falls for you to make some money this winter. Keep up the good work.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Three new trucks is a big step. Hope the snow falls for you to make some money this winter. Keep up the good work.

THanks, i am nervous as hell. its going to be huge growth and i dont know if im ready. Well i know im ready but i dont really know what its going to be like. I cant wait to plow though, im sick of leaves. I just hope i can get the dump intime for leave removals so i can just fill that sucker up and dump without unloading by hand.

The good thing about the contract that i did was i asked for 35 inches of snow upfront. that could be the whole season, or a 1/4 of the season depending on the winter. But the property owner gaurenteed me 35 inches of snow payment. thats mainly what made it able to buy the trucks upfront

KE-llc
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
THanks, i am nervous as hell. its going to be huge growth and i dont know if im ready. Well i know im ready but i dont really know what its going to be like. I cant wait to plow though, im sick of leaves. I just hope i can get the dump intime for leave removals so i can just fill that sucker up and dump without unloading by hand.

The good thing about the contract that i did was i asked for 35 inches of snow upfront. that could be the whole season, or a 1/4 of the season depending on the winter. But the property owner gaurenteed me 35 inches of snow payment. thats mainly what made it able to buy the trucks upfront

what happens if it doesn't snow? does he expect his money back? better hope you have a good amount of money in the bank!! even though you maybe buying trucks cash you still need to pay workers, buy salt, fuel, etc.

Seems a little far fetched to me but good luck.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
what happens if it doesn't snow? does he expect his money back? better hope you have a good amount of money in the bank!! even though you maybe buying trucks cash you still need to pay workers, buy salt, fuel, etc.

Seems a little far fetched to me but good luck.

Well it is written out in a contract.I do have quite a bit of savings and could prob be fine if i was to buy trucks without these contracts. But i guess i havent ever seen a winter without snow where i am. I dont know about you, but we get a lot of lake effect snow and pretty big storms around 8-12 inches sometimes.

And no, he doesnt expect his money back since i am taking care of all of his landscaping and lawn maintenance next year also.

Its not far fetched, its in writting.

Jelinek61
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
You may have a contract but with the right lawyer they aren't worth the paper their written on. Even though it is writing i've seen people get screwed time after time.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
You may have a contract but with the right lawyer they aren't worth the paper their written on. Even though it is writing i've seen people get screwed time after time.

i know what you mean but i dont understand how i am going to get screwed if i already have the check?

And the contract is notorized by my lawyer and his lawyer.

Its my employee and friends uncle and i know him very well. We have done a lot of work already for him and his accountant sends a check literally the same day i send the bill out . I get it one or two days later.

he wants his properties plowed so cars can get in there, he doesnt care how it gets done or weather the pavement gets scruffed up. Because 'it happends' to everyone eventually. He gets that i am young and gets what my company is about and is giving me a chance to show him what i got, so then he can give referal's to all his corporate buddys. haha

I got my new leaf loader in and it is sick.

teamgreendude
09-29-2010, 06:57 AM
i know what you mean but i dont understand how i am going to get screwed if i already have the check?

And the contract is notorized by my lawyer and his lawyer.

Its my employee and friends uncle and i know him very well. We have done a lot of work already for him and his accountant sends a check literally the same day i send the bill out . I get it one or two days later.

he wants his properties plowed so cars can get in there, he doesnt care how it gets done or weather the pavement gets scruffed up. Because 'it happends' to everyone eventually. He gets that i am young and gets what my company is about and is giving me a chance to show him what i got, so then he can give referal's to all his corporate buddys. haha

I got my new leaf loader in and it is sick.

Well, how does it do ? I'm really exited to pickup mine in a week !

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, how does it do ? I'm really exited to pickup mine in a week !

it is sick! i assembled it last night and i took pictures of it. I sucked up some leaves and they were like dust coming out of it. I screamed holy shi*ittt and my neighbor yelled at me for swearing infront of his kids.

The only part is, now i have to build a box for it and i dont know where to put the loader because i didnt get the tailgate bracket. I think im going to mount it onto the front corner of my trailer

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
1st picture: a tree i cut down and hauled up to my cottage. Its around 6000 pounds of weight. Actually a little more.

2nd picture. My house

3rd. My blown out tire on my trailer that happened on i-75 on the way to pick up the vantage. Scared the **** out of me and cracked a windshield out behind me.

4th and 5th. An arborviaes and mulch job done a couple weeks back. Of coarse i didnt buy the crooked tree's, I MEANT REALLY REALLY CROOKED . but i planted and installed all of them. They look really uneven in the picture but are evenly spaced out. I bought the mums because she wanted color for cheap. So i just got yellow and orange mums for a little color. They are much bigger now than in the picture. I also picked up her mowing account and a sprinkler install next season.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 07:42 PM

This is the truck that i am looking at right now. It is 28,596.99 plus tax, title, and license's. It comes with the v-xt 9'6". The plow itself is worth 6k so i think this is a steal!

It is a 5.4 triton v8 4x4 with snow prep, power locks, power windows. 8 foot bed regular cab. Vinyl floor and seating with cab lights.

Let me know if you guys think its a good deal.

Also, this is the sprinkler job i have been working on for the past week. The system wasnt working at all. I replaced all 6 rotors, all heads and dug out the box and put some granit rock underneigth for drainage. I re-wired all the valves and installed a new hunter control. Also, had to replace the backflow breaker valve.

Was a long job but looks way cleaner and works great with no leaks and very efficently

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
more picture of todays work and leaf loader and changing blades on lazer xs

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
and some more from today

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:29 PM
sorry for the sun in these, the sunrize ruins almost all of these pictures

bobcat48
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Real nice work.the leaf loader is also nice.have fun with it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Both of these houses and the above house i did the complete landscaping, irrigation, and sod job this year in may. Its pretty much what kept me busy when i was done with highschool and thank god for them .The big green house is by far the nicest lawn i mow and i mow it at the lowest setting my lazer goes it without scalping 2.5". It is soo short. The owners kids wanted to chip and play golf so he told me to take it down and its been down ever since. and the blue house was in a magazine for the architecture.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
here is more of the green house's lawn and back yard. and then another lawn i maintain and did their landscaping for about a month ago

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Here is a few of the landscaping we did on the blue modern house. he has 3 bull dogs that poop and tear up the lawn in the back yard so i re-graded the lawn. re-figured the back sprinkler system, and put some small scale bushes in for the time being. then installed sod and mulch and aluminum bed edging. some simple work for a long day.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Before and after of the sod. I'm trying to find the pictures of the final product, but i think they are still on dad's camera

bobcat48
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Real nice job.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
sewer damage sod job we did at the same time as the blue house. Two doors down. here are some before and after. And i want to hear your opinions on how the sod was dropped off. It was thrown off the dump truck 6-8 feet of the ground into a big ugly pile. I thought it looks so unprofessional. I ordered 190 yards of sod too. I thought it would be delievered with a spyder fork lift or something.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Real nice job.

those pictures make it look like crap! haha. Thats not a nice job at all, the finish product was way nicer. I'll take more pictures when i go there next week to mow and maintain beds and check on sprinkler system

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Real nice work.the leaf loader is also nice.have fun with it.

you are on lawnsite WAYYYY TO MUCH. hahaha. Every thread i read there is like 6 posts from you.

What do you do for your free time? ........ lawnsite anyone? lol

i get a head ache from too many pages of lawnsite aday, i can read like 15 pages and then im out. haha

bobcat48
09-29-2010, 11:06 PM
those pictures make it look like crap! haha. Thats not a nice job at all, the finish product was way nicer. I'll take more pictures when i go there next week to mow and maintain beds and check on sprinkler system

Yeah.but i was talkin the mowed lawns lol..

bobcat48
09-29-2010, 11:08 PM
you are on lawnsite WAYYYY TO MUCH. hahaha. Every thread i read there is like 6 posts from you.

What do you do for your free time? ........ lawnsite anyone? lol

i get a head ache from too many pages of lawnsite aday, i can read like 15 pages and then im out. haha

Yeah.not all cause of school but yeah i am lol..i never get tired of lawnsite .i love it.love this site so awesome.yeah lol.

MLAWCARE
09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I would be mad if they delivered sod to me like that.

rockycrab
09-29-2010, 11:12 PM
I would be talking to the grower about how they dropped your sod so hard. It will probably not be catastrophic damage, but, i bet it stunts the healing in time. The more damage and abuse to the root system the longer time it takes to establish.

stuntmanlogan
09-29-2010, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=delonglandscaping;3738586]200743

This is the truck that i am looking at right now. It is 28,596.99 plus tax, title, and license's. It comes with the v-xt 9'6". The plow itself is worth 6k so i think this is a steal!

It is a 5.4 triton v8 4x4 with snow prep, power locks, power windows. 8 foot bed regular cab. Vinyl floor and seating with cab lights.

The trucks a pretty good deal man. I actually just bought a 2010 its a single cab just like that but black, but I went with the XLT package deal with the 6.8l V10 pretty good engine but kinda a gas hog. But I think mine ran me 26,xxx something like that. But with that plow I would go for it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-30-2010, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=delonglandscaping;3738586]200743

The trucks a pretty good deal man. I actually just bought a 2010 its a single cab just like that but black, but I went with the XLT package deal with the 6.8l V10 pretty good engine but kinda a gas hog. But I think mine ran me 26,xxx something like that. But with that plow I would go for it.

thats still really good. Thats such a good deal considering its a brand new truck and 3/4 ton. I think the 1500's and f-150 xl's run like 24.5k for 4x4. Where did you get yours because i would like to get an xlt just for the added features, chrome, and i want to get navigation and tracking in my trucks so i know where they are.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I would be talking to the grower about how they dropped your sod so hard. It will probably not be catastrophic damage, but, i bet it stunts the healing in time. The more damage and abuse to the root system the longer time it takes to establish.

thats how i felt, i was thinking it would be a big pallet that i could even unload with the bobcat. I was extreamly unhappy and did talk to the distributor. They said the reason that was, was because i needed it in such short notice but it shouldnt have been thrown in unorganized piles and that far.

I got free delivery on 5 truck loads of materials from my complaint and they were really understanding when i showed them the pictures. e

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-30-2010, 01:25 AM
I would be mad if they delivered sod to me like that.

trust me, i was furious. I came out when half of it was already done and i was like wtf is going on. That is 650 dollars in sod and its going to be trashed now.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah.not all cause of school but yeah i am lol..i never get tired of lawnsite .i love it.love this site so awesome.yeah lol.

yea i like it too. I like it because its more of a place where i can document my growth. I like seeing from year to year and what i said last year and look back and laugh.

I love seeing long term growth and thats what im working at now. Not getting a bunch of customers, but to be smart with the customers i have and have good paying, reliable clients that will come back to me year after year. I spend on average 10 minutes more on each property than i did in the summer and just the extra 10 minutes makes them all look so much better. Even on the really small properties.

I wish the pictures showed how good everything looked, all my lawns are soo green again and they are all ALMOST weed free after the aeration and fertilizer treatment.

bobcat48
09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
yea i like it too. I like it because its more of a place where i can document my growth. I like seeing from year to year and what i said last year and look back and laugh.

I love seeing long term growth and thats what im working at now. Not getting a bunch of customers, but to be smart with the customers i have and have good paying, reliable clients that will come back to me year after year. I spend on average 10 minutes more on each property than i did in the summer and just the extra 10 minutes makes them all look so much better. Even on the really small properties.

I wish the pictures showed how good everything looked, all my lawns are soo green again and they are all ALMOST weed free after the aeration and fertilizer treatment.

Oh ok.yeah.yeah u got it that is they key to sucess.yeah same thing on a yard i do.the guy grass is i mean just real good green grass.dosent have any weeds.i wish our grass is like that.we dont have the worst or the best.its in between id say.

KE-llc
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
you paid $650 for that sod?? wow

Kennedy Landscaping
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Everything looks really nice, I hope to get pretty big next season. Got a few plans but so far everything is still in the planning stage. This winter when i graduate I'm really going to kick up advertising and all sorts of other things. If they did that to sod I ordered I would have said something to them and told them to do it right or leave my jobsite. I'm sure it didn't kill the sod by any means but it's very unprofessional. They way I look at it, if YOU hire a company like that to come deliver it, and they look like crap. I think it reflects back on us because WE hired these guys. But anyways, nice work.

stuntmanlogan
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=stuntmanlogan;3739026]

thats still really good. Thats such a good deal considering its a brand new truck and 3/4 ton. I think the 1500's and f-150 xl's run like 24.5k for 4x4. Where did you get yours because i would like to get an xlt just for the added features, chrome, and i want to get navigation and tracking in my trucks so i know where they are.

I bought mine a Charles Gabus Ford in Urbandale Iowa. Im not sure if they have any left though. My choices were between a white, black, and maroon color I know they were all XLT's with the plow prep package. They actually went down because of the 2011's they had coming in and they need the room for them so they had to get the 10's out of there.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-01-2010, 01:46 AM
you paid $650 for that sod?? wow

Sorry i misspoke , i got 190 yards of sod and 5 yards of top soil. The top soil was 14 per yard. Delievery was 65 dollars(which i think is b.s.) and the soil was around 2.50 cents per yard plus tax.

So give or take a few bucks it was right around 650. Is that a lot or something for you? those are the prices for sod up here. If i got 250 yards the price drops from 2.5 to 1.9

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-01-2010, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=delonglandscaping;3739118]

I bought mine a Charles Gabus Ford in Urbandale Iowa. Im not sure if they have any left though. My choices were between a white, black, and maroon color I know they were all XLT's with the plow prep package. They actually went down because of the 2011's they had coming in and they need the room for them so they had to get the 10's out of there.

i wish i would have caught that deal. Thinking about putting a leaf box on my 6ft bed dodge 1500 and dreading it sooo much. I dont want to ruin the truck with a big ugly box. I got a pretty sweet set up for the leaf loader though that i am excited about. And we sanded and snad blasted the exmark lazer z xs mower deck tonight from a lot of paint chips and flaking off if it. Which it wasnt a big deal but i am a freak about my equipment in new condition. I take care of everything like a baby.

Primed and welds tonight. And i will wet sand and paint tomorrow night. I forgot to take pic's of before and after but the mower looks pretty damn funny without a deck on it!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Everything looks really nice, I hope to get pretty big next season. Got a few plans but so far everything is still in the planning stage. This winter when i graduate I'm really going to kick up advertising and all sorts of other things. If they did that to sod I ordered I would have said something to them and told them to do it right or leave my jobsite. I'm sure it didn't kill the sod by any means but it's very unprofessional. They way I look at it, if YOU hire a company like that to come deliver it, and they look like crap. I think it reflects back on us because WE hired these guys. But anyways, nice work.

good point about the professionalism, and i am definitly kickin in advertizing full gear. I have 6000 fliers i am handing out this saturday with 5 of freshman highschoo guys that run cross country. I am hoping to get them all out in one day and maybe order more if i like the turn out.

What college are you going to and what did you come out with?

teamgreendude
10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
it is sick! i assembled it last night and i took pictures of it. I sucked up some leaves and they were like dust coming out of it. I screamed holy shi*ittt and my neighbor yelled at me for swearing in front of his kids.

The only part is, now i have to build a box for it and i don't know where to put the loader because i didn't get the tailgate bracket. I think I'm going to mount it onto the front corner of my trailer

That sounds a lot like me, my neighbors hate me because our dog barks to much ??!!?! wtf !. I'm still waiting if I want to get another trailer to set the loader on, I was originally putting the loader on the tong of my trailer but It may not work.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm still undecided on where I'm going for college. Congrats on your loader too, My neighbor to the north of my don't really care for me. Because I've always got my trailer out front and always doing something in the yard when I get the chance. What really bugs them is when I'm working on my equipment at night lol.

KE-llc
10-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry i misspoke , i got 190 yards of sod and 5 yards of top soil. The top soil was 14 per yard. Delievery was 65 dollars(which i think is b.s.) and the soil was around 2.50 cents per yard plus tax.

So give or take a few bucks it was right around 650. Is that a lot or something for you? those are the prices for sod up here. If i got 250 yards the price drops from 2.5 to 1.9

I think on the sod you mean by the sq ft??? I bought 1000sq ft last week for $250 if that give you an idea so about .25 a sq ft

GravelyGuy
10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Did you get that truck? What is the sticker price and what are the rebates for 2010s?

intimidator782
10-01-2010, 10:37 PM
That white 1500 is beautiful!! Nice work and equipment too.

KE-llc
10-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't put a leave box on the 1500....its a TON of weight between leaves, loader an trailer full of mowers. Also raking all that out would SUCK!
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
10-02-2010, 12:40 AM
unless you want to destroy the 1500 dont do it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I think on the sod you mean by the sq ft??? I bought 1000sq ft last week for $250 if that give you an idea so about .25 a sq ft

it is measured differently up here. it was a little under 2300 sq/ft. 190 "yards" that what the dealer called them. Each piece is 2'x 6' rolls. So 12 sq/ft each

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Don't put a leave box on the 1500....its a TON of weight between leaves, loader an trailer full of mowers. Also raking all that out would SUCK!
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont know what else to do if i dont put a box on the 1500. Im not planning on buying the f-250's until late october and i am already starting fall clean ups for most of my high end weekly lawn contracts.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:26 AM
That white 1500 is beautiful!! Nice work and equipment too.

thanks man, i like it too. It was relaly plain when i got it and it is a nice truck to drive daily. VERY COMFORTABLE interior.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Did you get that truck? What is the sticker price and what are the rebates for 2010s?

the sticker price on the truck was 32,879.67. They are offering 5k off that price and another aditional dealer rebate, plus a "free v-xt" with the truck if financed through them, or bought with cash from them

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:31 AM
That sounds a lot like me, my neighbors hate me because our dog barks to much ??!!?! wtf !. I'm still waiting if I want to get another trailer to set the loader on, I was originally putting the loader on the tong of my trailer but It may not work.

I was thinking that too , but what i am going to do is make a mount for the loader on the front right corner of my trailer so then i when i take the trailer off, everything comes off with it. I will post some pictures after i am done re-painting my exmark deck. i sanded and sandblasted and striped deck and its getting powdercoated right now.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm still undecided on where I'm going for college. Congrats on your loader too, My neighbor to the north of my don't really care for me. Because I've always got my trailer out front and always doing something in the yard when I get the chance. What really bugs them is when I'm working on my equipment at night lol.

I have a deaf neighbor to the east and couple with 4 kids to the west. they are both cool with me being loud at night because there house is SOUND PROOF, there is an old guy on the other side of the couples house that is a real dick and he always yells at me to be quite when i am working at like 3 in the morning on shaprning blades or making a leaf box or fixing my mowers or something. I have the radio blasting and the hears on in 0 degree weather and he freaks out and comes out in his underware and yells at me

KE-llc
10-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I thought you said you were buying a F550???
Posted via Mobile Device

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
ya i would be pissed to if i were your neighbor and you had the radio blasting at 3 in the morning and were sharping blades

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I thought you said you were buying a F550???
Posted via Mobile Device

still in the process of going over numbers. I need to get at leased two trucks if i don't want to be plowing with my 1500. And 3 trucks if i want to have a reliable back up or putting another plow in the commercials . I could really use three trucks to get to more residencials because i am almost at the point where i have to turn down driveways because i would rather do commercials.

I am looking at a 2006 f-550 or a 2008 f-350 dump. They both have around 18k miles on them, both are 6.3 diesel and but i talked to my insurance guy and to get an f-350 regular cab long bed, rather then a dump bed its close to 1/2 of that the dump bed is. I dont really see the point of spending 2400 dollars per year on a dump and 1100 on a f-350 that i could just put a dump insert in.

It seems to me like you 1) either don't believe anything that i say or do, or 2) doubt everything i say and question everything else. Maybe im just taking what you say the wrong way.

I dont mind if your asking because your interested, but if you are going to bring negativity to this, im just not going to respond. Im not trying to be rude but i dont need people thinking im too young for the business and talk myself up. I work hard and love what i do, i dont bs and i dont f around.

Thanks for reading the thread though and i will update everyone with how the leaf season goes and how plowing goes as well

Thanks for reading just keep the critisism positive.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
ya i would be pissed to if i were your neighbor and you had the radio blasting at 3 in the morning and were sharping blades

I would be too if my neighbor was keeping me up from sleeping but this guy lets his dog out in the backyard all night and it just barks. He has had dozens of complaints and doesnt care. I doubt i was that loud because i am around 150 feet away from his house and he supposedely "cant sleep" because im so loud.

Im not loud enough to wake something up. For go sakes, how loud can u be sharpening a blade. No loud enough to travel through an insulated garage, and over 150 feet inside his house to wake him up.. At leased i dont think so

KE-llc
10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
It makes perfect sense to me why to spend $2400 a year on a dump. 1) holds way more, 2) can handle more weight, 3) the entire truck is beefed up.

Also fyi the 06 F550 has a 6.0L diesel. The 08 F350 has a 6.4L diesel. '08 was the worst year for that diesel, better off to go with a 06 6.0L as that was a good year for it.

I'm not being negative. All I did was ask why you haven't bought a dump where I believe earlier in the thread you were talking about having one by fall. Honestly putting a leaf box on a 1500 plus pulling all those mowers will kill that truck.

And I'd be pretty pissed hearing you working at 3am...I'm sure your town has an ordinance about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nick's Lawn Care
10-03-2010, 09:13 AM
It makes perfect sense to me why to spend $2400 a year on a dump. 1) holds way more, 2) can handle more weight, 3) the entire truck is beefed up.

Also fyi the 06 F550 has a 6.0L diesel. The 08 F350 has a 6.4L diesel. '08 was the worst year for that diesel, better off to go with a 06 6.0L as that was a good year for it.

I'm not being negative. All I did was ask why you haven't bought a dump where I believe earlier in the thread you were talking about having one by fall. Honestly putting a leaf box on a 1500 plus pulling all those mowers will kill that truck.

And I'd be pretty pissed hearing you working at 3am...I'm sure your town has an ordinance about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

haha jared i like all the different names you have on here

2brothersyardcare
10-03-2010, 09:27 AM
haha jared i like all the different names you have on here

they confuse the crap out of me

SNAPPER MAN
10-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I agree that dumps are a complete waste of money. Just get you a f350 dually pickup if you still want a lot of bed capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree that dumps are a complete waste of money. Just get you a f350 dually pickup if you still want a lot of bed capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device

You must not have one! :laugh:

SNAPPER MAN
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
You must not have one! :laugh:

I don't have one because I cannot justify spending the extra money on one and additional insurance on one. My f250 does everything I need it to.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't have one because I cannot justify spending the extra money on one and additional insurance on one. My f250 does everything I need it to.
Posted via Mobile Device

The insurance on my F-550 is alot cheaper then my 2500hd. And a dump truck will allow you to take on bigger jobs and also get the jobs you currently have done much faster.

SNAPPER MAN
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
The insurance on my F-550 is alot cheaper then my 2500hd. And a dump truck will allow you to take on bigger jobs and also get the jobs you currently have done much faster.

How will it allow me to take on bigger jobs. I have three trucks and four trailers. I have enough capacity to take on pretty much any job. I still see no point in a dump, especially for maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Weight carrying cap yes, but a dually won't hold any more volume than a srw. For what we do a dually pickup is more of a nuisance than anything if you're just hauling mowers..

Whatever you do I would do anything in your power to avoid building a leaf box on your 1/2 ton. Especially since its a short bed.

KE-llc
10-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Why spend $ on a drw F350 pickup that can hold just as much as my srw 2500? AND with a pickup you have to manually unload.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
How will it allow me to take on bigger jobs. I have three trucks and four trailers. I have enough capacity to take on pretty much any job. I still see no point in a dump, especially for maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you cant figure out how a dump truck would allow you to make more money and do it faster then you may want to find a different line of work!

SNAPPER MAN
10-03-2010, 07:21 PM
If you cant figure out how a dump truck would allow you to make more money and do it faster then you may want to find a different line of work!

Hahaha ok. To each is own. I do just fine with what I'm using.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM

i get what you all are saying and everyone has their own way of doing work. i would much rather get a dump because of the beefed up suspention and everything. but i would much rather be pulling an open trailer with pick up. So much more visibility. And also for plowing, there is so much more visibility in a regular cab pick up than a dump truck. Dump trucks are great all around for salt, materials and the ease of unloading and if i find a good deal i will definitly be getting a dump.

And Jared, thanks for letting me know you werent being negative, i couldnt tell and i respect your points. And thank you for that

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
btw, i did put a small leaf box on the truck. I used all pressure treaded wood and i used decking wood for the sides. The total weight of the whole box was 85 lbs of wood, i made it around 2 1/2 feet taller than the bed sides. What my plan is to do is when i have a good sized load of leaves(i will never full the whole back up) i will offset the weight of the leaves by putting the lazer behind the trailer axles.

For my leaf clean up rig i am going to be using two trucks. My truck with the 16ft trailer. My trailer will have the leaf loader, the 2 back packs, the 13hp billy goat force blower, and a 60" with the qds ultra vac.

Then my employees truck will have a 14" trailer with a 60" ultracut deck with a mulch plate on it, and the 52" vantage. with the trimmers. I will have one guy with me in my truck and two in his truck. So four guys for the fall clean ups this year. What i did with the back of the 1500. i made an l shaped insert reinforced with 2x6" and 1/2" metal wire bolted to all 6 corners of the L shape. So when i have a full load of leaves, we take the other truck, and pull the wire and insert out and all the leafs fall out. on their own, we tried it with a full load of grass clippings from today mowing and it worked great with little left overs, only behind the wheels.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Good plan with the box, sounds like it will work good. I know you think you won't ever fill it all the way but I've got a real bad habit of overloading stuff just so I can get something done faster. For instance, if I'm cutting a tree and the trailer gets really full, I find the place somewhere to stuff those few extra logs just to get the job done and not have to make another trip. Lets see some pics man

MLAWCARE
10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Good plan with the box, sounds like it will work good. I know you think you won't ever fill it all the way but I've got a real bad habit of overloading stuff just so I can get something done faster. For instance, if I'm cutting a tree and the trailer gets really full, I find the place somewhere to stuff those few extra logs just to get the job done and not have to make another trip. Lets see some pics man

That makes sense from a business stand point. less trips= more profit:)

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-04-2010, 01:04 AM
That makes sense from a business stand point. less trips= more profit:)

i know everyone is saying dont build on a 1500. the thing is, last year i beefed up the axles and suspension to 2500 specs, i put a 3/4 ton axle and 1 ton leaf srpings in the back. The only thing now is the frame that isnt the same as the 3/4 ton. I loaded almost 2000 lbs of stumps in the back of my trailer and drove 80 miles to my cottage. I also had a whole trailer full of smaller block wood and around 5k in the trailer. With the truck i have, it is the same engine, the 5.7: Hemi , smaller trans and smaller frame. I should have no problem handling what i am going to be using my truck for this year. If i put 2k lbs of leaves in, i honestly dont think even that much would fit in the box, i should be set definitly. What does a yard of wet shreded leaves weigh anyways?

I will get some pictures of everything as soon as i get the leaf loader mounted and the tubes and everything installed.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure how much leaves weigh but I know they can really add up. I'm not saying don't build a box on your truck man. To each his own, I'm a believer in do what will work for you and what will make you money, not what everyone else thinks you should do.

KE-llc
10-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a nice little setup on the 1500. Hope it works for yah!

Far as your buddy using his truck, you better look into the insurance aspect of it. You're going to need to add to your policy his vehicle. I did it for my guys. So if they're ever using their vehicles for work they're automatically covered under my policy.
Posted via Mobile Device

rockycrab
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
During leaf season my guys have overloaded my 1 ton trucks with wet shredded leaves. We gotta keep our eyes on it. The later in the season it gets the heavier they seem to get as well. I usually try to support my leaf vacs with two trucks that can handle the debris that way we can make dump runs during the day without down time for the vacuum.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds like a nice little setup on the 1500. Hope it works for yah!

Far as your buddy using his truck, you better look into the insurance aspect of it. You're going to need to add to your policy his vehicle. I did it for my guys. So if they're ever using their vehicles for work they're automatically covered under my policy.
Posted via Mobile Device

i got that covered, its covered on my policy from the start, i covered his truck and my uncles 3500 because i knew i would use if for a couple weeks this summer.

thanks

KE-llc
10-04-2010, 05:39 PM
i got that covered, its covered on my policy from the start, i covered his truck and my uncles 3500 because i knew i would use if for a couple weeks this summer.

thanks

smart

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

rockycrab
10-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Not that it seems like it at bill time, but, I've been told repeatedly. Your cheapest expense is insurance. And you can't be over-insured.

rockycrab
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah, This advice I've been told by people other than insurance salesmen. LOL

ffej3820
10-08-2010, 08:26 PM
How do you like your dodge? Been looking at new trucks and leaning more that way

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Finally got the leaf box all together, and used the billy goat finally. I got the exhaust pipe from a local store around me for way cheaper than ODB wanted. (180 dollars vs. 40 for a heavier duty)

anyways, i did my gf's house's leaves today and made a huge pile(prob around 4 feet tall and 10 feet long . Sucked them all up and it didnt shred as good as i thought. There was honestly some leaves still fully intacted. I am wondering if this is normal since i never have owned a billy goat leaf loader, or any leave loader for that matter, before. I thought they shreded "12:1" like it says it is supposed to do . So if i am loading up 12 yards of leaves it should shred them down to be 1 yard of leaves.

Also, i was wondering when you pack the leaves in the box, and it is full, if you keep loading more and more leaves in the box , do the leaves get pushed down and more compacted. My box is very well vented with mesh all across the hole top. I guess pictures would help but its dark out and everything is in the street right now. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the leaves and the set-up. It just doesnt make sense why it isnt shredding the leaves more.

I guess i am dissapointed mostly, i thought it would preform better.

any help would greatly be appreciated.

teamgreendude
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Finally got the leaf box all together, and used the billy goat finally. I got the exhaust pipe from a local store around me for way cheaper than ODB wanted. (180 dollars vs. 40 for a heavier duty)

anyways, i did my gf's house's leaves today and made a huge pile(prob around 4 feet tall and 10 feet long . Sucked them all up and it didnt shred as good as i thought. There was honestly some leaves still fully intacted. I am wondering if this is normal since i never have owned a billy goat leaf loader, or any leave loader for that matter, before. I thought they shreded "12:1" like it says it is supposed to do . So if i am loading up 12 yards of leaves it should shred them down to be 1 yard of leaves.

Also, i was wondering when you pack the leaves in the box, and it is full, if you keep loading more and more leaves in the box , do the leaves get pushed down and more compacted. My box is very well vented with mesh all across the hole top. I guess pictures would help but its dark out and everything is in the street right now. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the leaves and the set-up. It just doesnt make sense why it isnt shredding the leaves more.

I guess i am dissapointed mostly, i thought it would preform better.

any help would greatly be appreciated.

I just bought mine on Saturday and it's awesome !!!!!!! I already have the box on my truck and now I just need that flexable hose they sell and I'll be ready to rock n roll !!!!. I was really happy to try it out on Saturday, but since I didn't't have my box on the truck yet and just a tarp in the bed It kinda of made a mess. Overall it seems really heavy duty and I'll have it working hard in the next week or two.

oakwdman
10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I've never bought into the 12:1 ratios really. Ive seen a few guys who have actually had awesome luck w/ the lesco loaders as far as shredding is concerned. Overall if it doesnt shred them to dust it isnt the end of the world, I bet that pile still went in your truck 30x faster than if you had to do it any other way.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I've never bought into the 12:1 ratios really. Ive seen a few guys who have actually had awesome luck w/ the lesco loaders as far as shredding is concerned. Overall if it doesnt shred them to dust it isnt the end of the world, I bet that pile still went in your truck 30x faster than if you had to do it any other way.

It took an hour to put them into the pile with 3-13hp billy goats and two redmax ebz8050's and an exmark finish mowing it bagging , (2 acres of heavily tree'd area) and literally 10 mins or less to suck them all up. I cant complain on how well it worked, but the shredding power is not there. It was like the fine particles that were shreded good were like dust and exscaping through the mesh top(literally dust) but other than that the leaves just looked like someone put a couple knifes through them or untouched and thrown in the back.

hopefully it works better

oakwdman
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
What kind of leaves also? I'd imagine an oak leaf wouldnt shred as well as a birch or ash...

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-12-2010, 11:16 PM
What kind of leaves also? I'd imagine an oak leaf wouldnt shred as well as a birch or ash...

They were maple leaves today, and they were dry and crisp. There were some white ash also.

barney14
11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Did you get your trucks yet?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
So for this year, i have learned many lessons and tried to mature as a company. I learned the hard way how not to do business 'through' people's "word" and not going directly to the source. I didnt end up getting the commercial snow contracts i thought i had 120% got. I even got a check from the owner which was really weird. I litereally almost put a deposit on three trucks to end up finding out that the company that had been plowing and servicing the 30 properties were going to do it again this year. There wasnt really a reason behind it, (to young, inexpirienced) but the owner said that the company has been doing it for 15 years and it would take a lot to persuade him to change companies. I guess a lot of you guys on here proved me wrong and sorry for any harsh words. Next year i am going all out to show him my company will do better work and i am going to go to the properties after each snow fall to see what i could improve on that the other company is doing.

On a positive note, i just am finishing up gutter clean outs and fall clean ups STILLLL and had my truck serviced today, new cv joint and ball joints on both front suspesion, all fluids flushed and filled(transmission,break, differncials, gear box, power steering, radiator) new front struts, one new right tie rod, new brakes and rotors, transmission cooler, and temp gauge, changed all spark plugs and wires, complete oil change and fuel and oil filter, got a k&n cold air intake, new fan shroud and berrings, new serpintine belt

things i did myself:

-Installed 55w halogen back up lights, hard wired into the reverse lights-actually really proud of my self that i figured this out as i am beginning to get more mechanically inclinded with my car and everything
-Installed 90W SOUNDOFF Galileo Hideaway LED strobes
-Installed SOUNDOFF SIGNAL PINNACLE STROBE
-Steam cleaned carpet from leaves and did a complete detail on seats and everything
-Waxed and buffed everything

THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO BE DONE IN NEXT WEEK
-7'6" Boss Standard Duty Installed
-Heavy duty alternator installed(if any one has a good alternator please advise)
-Dual Batter set-up- (give me some advice on a good battery please)
-Tool box in bed
-Back rack with aux lights and a dewalt 18v battery charger port for my tool box

and finally over the thanks giving weekend i am going up to my cottage with all my relatives and we are taking down a couple huge ash trees that got the ash bore. I bought a STIHL ms260 pro with a 20" and 16" bar and 2 sets of chains for both, also got a chain sharpener as i went through way to many chains with my little poulan wildcat chan saw this year on the pruning and tree/brush removal jobs i had.

THE SAW IS SOO LOUD AND CUTS SO FAST, i am very impressed with it so far, havent really done a lot of cutting with it but its good so far

Also, with snow plowing , i got a couple BP gas stations last minute and i got the place who serviced my cars parking lot. So i have three small maybe 25 parking space lots to add with my close to 35 driveways this year. I am slowly building up my business and the plan is to advertize like crazy in feburary and early march. I also want to build the hardscaping aspect of my business because i only did three jobs this year and it was pretty much what kept me wanting to landscape. I got sick of mowing the same crappy lawns over and over again with cheap customers so i am going to target a higher end range of customers this year.

Hope everything is well with every one else, and i will get pictures up as soon as i get the plow installed and the ms260 shows me that it can handle big tree work.

Happy thanks giving to all, and i will have pictures for you all on monday hopefully when the plow is installed.

Thanks for reading,
Jason

MLAWCARE
11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan and wow thats alot of stuff you had done to the truck. What was that total because I want to replace my plugs and wires and new brakes on my truck but really thinking about doing it my self to save money and just to prove that I can do it.

Kennedy Landscaping
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Man sounds like you're doing alot of updates. I'll be doing the same next season. Glad to hear things are going good for you though. Looking forward to the pictures.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-27-2010, 10:57 PM
as promised, here are some pictures. All i could get at tonight. My dad has his camera with other pictures on it too. These are what i snapped tonight. Dropped off my car this morning and the guy said the plow would be in monday or tuesday and just the mount and wiring are going to be done today. Then when i came to pick my truck up, the new BOSS was hanging from the front. Also, i did have problems with the ms260. Weingartz gave me all wrong chains and bars/sprockets for the saw. The saw bogged down and the bar smoked and wouldnt get a full rev and sounded like the brake was on.

The salesmen tried to say i was operating it with the brake on it, when i was on the phone with him and then when i brought it in, he was like oh yea, your right. So they have my 2 extra chains, and two brand new 16 and 20" bars that FIT MY SAW. Bucked some christmas trees tonight and gave them fresh cuts for delievery in the morning and it is like night and day. I bucked and freshly cut 32 tree's in around 20 minutes. Its a great saw. Here are some pictures

Also, one picture i found of my box with a load of leaves, one of my back up lights installed and on, and one of my shop 205738

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Kennedy Landscaping
11-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Very nice man, hey if you're not busy and could shoot me a text I'd like to talk some about that plow. I lost your number when I switched phones 4 million times this year lol. 316-323-7062

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-27-2010, 11:12 PM
thanks, and ya no problem . Text sent

bobcat48
11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Very nice stuff.nice shop,plows,that stihl saw i like it all lol.have a good winter.

rstan2010
11-28-2010, 09:19 AM
What dealer you get the plow at? What did it run you?

betterlawnsandlandscaping
11-28-2010, 10:29 AM
some more grass mowing and a small stump removal with the biggest piece of shiot ever

Your work looks awesome! love the set up too. What height do you cut most of these yards on?

stuntmanlogan
11-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Nice plow and leaf setup. Do you just mount your vac on your trailer?

Graveslawncare
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Everything looks great man. I feel for you on the snow contracts you lost. I don't do snow cuz we don't get much around here, if any, but I just had a decent commercial landscape contract that I really thought I was gonna get fall through last week. It sucks when that happens.

That is a TON of stuff you had done to your truck....what did that cost you?

Jpeg lawn maintenance
11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Truck looks very nice. Did you have those cab lights installed after you bought the truck if so how much did it cost for you to get them put on.

Mowerboy04
11-28-2010, 08:24 PM

the lights look really good, i use to do a lot of christmas lights i use to make more putting up lights then i did plowing.

teamgreendude
11-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Jason,
I've been having similar problems with my billy goat clogging with wet or semi wet leaves and I doesn't even look like it's shredding them. I also wanted to know what did you do to start irrigation systems and to install them, I would like to start installing them in 2011 if I can. Good to see everything id going well with your biz.
Thanks,
James

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
What dealer you get the plow at? What did it run you?

plow was $4,175 plus head light adapter, i got it from Steve at weingartz in clarkston.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Your work looks awesome! love the set up too. What height do you cut most of these yards on?

thanks man. I usually cut most of my really healthy lawns at around 2.75 and most of my unhealthy lawns i cut at around 3.25-3.5

The greener, flatter, and more water THE BETTER. I can leave some great stripes on the short grass.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Nice plow and leaf setup. Do you just mount your vac on your trailer?

Thanks, i wish i got a picture of the leaf box before i took it off, i dont know what i was thinking. The leaf loader is mounted on the front right corner of the trailer where the side ramp is, i took the side ramp off so the hose can be freely swiveled and moved when in use

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Everything looks great man. I feel for you on the snow contracts you lost. I don't do snow cuz we don't get much around here, if any, but I just had a decent commercial landscape contract that I really thought I was gonna get fall through last week. It sucks when that happens.

That is a TON of stuff you had done to your truck....what did that cost you?

The snow accounts were a huge blow and made me question if i even want to deal with commercials any more. I like dealing with many people (residencials because referals from 80 people are much better than 5 commercials)

I was planning on buying three trucks and having 4 employees. **** happens and i am hoping to get the accounts this summer so i can return in the winter to show the owner what i got.

The truck maintenance and overhaul pretty much cost me around 350 in labor and around 1200 in parts. It wasnt to bad, i dont mind paying to keep my truck maintained and in good 'health' , I get a full oil change and trans flush every 3k miles even with synthetic oil. Mobile 1. I just know a lot of people with dodges that blew there trans and i dont want to spend $3k to get a new one. i would much rather spend $100 every 4 months or so.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Truck looks very nice. Did you have those cab lights installed after you bought the truck if so how much did it cost for you to get them put on.

Thanks, i really try to keep it clean. I think i may get smaller fender flares though. I ordered the smaller ones and these came. They stick out a good 3". I was going for the power wagon look.

The cab lights are recon smoked LED amber lights. They cost me 60 for the light and around 10-15 dollars for hardware and sylicon to seal. My friend actually did the install for me for free which was really nice.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:42 PM
the lights look really good, i use to do a lot of christmas lights i use to make more putting up lights then i did plowing.

I LOVE CHRISTMAST LIGHTS. Honestly i enjoy it soo much and i love christmas. I love driving by the house and seeing the rest of the street and how crappy it looks.

I really want to increase sales of christmas lights. Or get another employee to do all fall clean ups and i just do pure christmas lights.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Jason,
I've been having similar problems with my billy goat clogging with wet or semi wet leaves and I doesn't even look like it's shredding them. I also wanted to know what did you do to start irrigation systems and to install them, I would like to start installing them in 2011 if I can. Good to see everything id going well with your biz.
Thanks,
James

Idk why but my billy goat always slilps out of full throttle and then that is when the discharge shoot clogs , right above the impeller. Litterally still in the housing. It has been a problem all year and i was so sick of it, i tarped the last house we did and took it to the dealer.

SPrinkler systems: I started researching and honestly started by 'fixing' / expirimenting with my cottages sprinkler system. it is a lake pump irrigation system and is similar to a golf coarse,it shoots water at 115 gpm and around 75 psi. Its 2" pipe and 25 rotors in each 3 zones watering around 4 acres in 45 minutes. We have 3 misting zones with 40 heads going in all flower beds, and out by the 400 feet of road and along driveway. My grandpa installed it himself around 15 years ago so it breaks a lot so me and my uncle have to fix them and i learned by fixing them. Sprinklers are honestly really easy to do and basic plumbing skills. You have to match precipitation rates to each zone so no over or under watering occurs and also use the same type of head in each zone(dont mix impact rotors with pop up misting heads) ALso designing is a huge part too. Design it on paper so you use efficent supplies location of valve boxes, sprinkler heads, and main lines.

If you have any more questions pm me and i will go more into detail

RockSolid-5
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
real nice lines. unlike a lot of the hack jobs i've seen on this site

joey7599
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
how high is the lift kit on the dodge

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-29-2010, 11:04 PM
how high is the lift kit on the dodge

3" body lift, 2" Coil spacers on front, and timbrens and heavy duty leaf's and axle on back

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-29-2010, 11:06 PM
real nice lines. unlike a lot of the hack jobs i've seen on this site

haha. I agree there are a lot of unintentional zig zag's that are supposed to be stripes. But there are also a fair share of great stripes(just cut in the same direction to many times which i DO NOT DO. haha. Nothing looks worse than stripes burnt into the grass. Different every week is key

Schrock Lawns
11-29-2010, 11:11 PM
hey delong do u still have both lazer z's

jeffslawnservice
11-29-2010, 11:12 PM
haha. I agree there are a lot of unintentional zig zag's that are supposed to be stripes. But there are also a fair share of great stripes(just cut in the same direction to many times which i DO NOT DO. haha. Nothing looks worse than stripes burnt into the grass. Different every week is key

I agree nothing looks worse than stripes burnt into a lawn. This year with the drought you could tell when a company mowed the same direction week after week. You would see wheel marks getting burnt into the lawn. The same guys that burn stripes into a lawn are probably the same guys that scalp the crap out of lawns just because the customer wants it cut shorter. They dont understand that it is bad for the lawn.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Exactly. There are many companies around me that cut the same direction every week the whole season. It almost looks like a bunch of speed bumps, thats prob the reason they dont cut in a different direction. All the ruts would bounce them out of their seat

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-29-2010, 11:22 PM
hey delong do u still have both lazer z's

Got rid of the one i picked up this year. I sold it on craigslist for more than i bought it for. I think i am going to try to sell my lazer z xs and 36" and move to two brand new 29 kawi exmarks and a 26" for back yards, it will save space on the trailer, and i still will only be using it for around an hour a week on a couple lawns that have small backyards and pools.

Schrock Lawns
11-29-2010, 11:25 PM
if you were to sell it what would you be asking for it

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
just put it up on the free listing forum. I am asking 8500. Trade in value is around 7,500 for it so that means that they can resale and make a profit.

stuntmanlogan
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Got rid of the one i picked up this year. I sold it on craigslist for more than i bought it for. I think i am going to try to sell my lazer z xs and 36" and move to two brand new 29 kawi exmarks and a 26" for back yards, it will save space on the trailer, and i still will only be using it for around an hour a week on a couple lawns that have small backyards and pools.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I would love to have two new next lazer's. I am planing to get one for next year but thats even a maybe. I think you should hang onto the walk behind. I have a 36 inch turf tracer that I use for only a few hours each week on a few lawns then the rider on the majority of them. However I couldn't imagine getting ride of it and going back to a push mower. The way I see it is since im only using my walk behind for these few hours each week, then it should last me for the rest of my life or however long I am in this business. Something to think about.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. I would love to have two new next lazer's. I am planing to get one for next year but thats even a maybe. I think you should hang onto the walk behind. I have a 36 inch turf tracer that I use for only a few hours each week on a few lawns then the rider on the majority of them. However I couldn't imagine getting ride of it and going back to a push mower. The way I see it is since im only using my walk behind for these few hours each week, then it should last me for the rest of my life or however long I am in this business. Something to think about.

i see your point but the 2 mowers are a maybe too. I just think with all the big 2 acre front and 3 acre back yards, im there for about an hour and half each week and my employee doesnt know what to do with himself while im double cutting. So i want another 60 and it would speed us up a lot especially having yards close by, i can work on one and then he can drive mower and work on another.

About the 36, i just wish it wasnt taking room up on the trailer. I might put in the back of my truck and just ramp it onto the trailer, but it doesnt fit with two lazers both having qds's on them. I tried it. its like 8" to short

SIWEL
11-30-2010, 10:32 PM
just get a longer trailer. My 20' will fit two riders with vacs and a 52" walk behind. I can still squeeze a 21" trim mower if i have too. The side gate is where its at tho

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-30-2010, 10:40 PM
i have a side gate on mine and im not looking to get any bigger trailer than what i have. 20' trailer plus toungue length plus truck is well over the width of what i want. Im looking to get two crews going the year after next and if i do that i will have a set up with two 60" riders and another trailer most likely 14foot with two 52" turf tracers and a 36" and a trim mower for smaller residencials.

joef450snowplow
11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
congrats on the plow and leaf vac

stuntmanlogan
11-30-2010, 10:59 PM
About the 36, i just wish it wasnt taking room up on the trailer. I might put in the back of my truck and just ramp it onto the trailer, but it doesnt fit with two lazers both having qds's on them. I tried it. its like 8" to short[/QUOTE]

I see. Well I would differentially hang onto that 36 if you think your going to run two crews and need it in the next few years. I say this because its way to nice of a mower and you would be taking a money loss on it by selling it used. And for now I would just ramp it into your truck if you have to, that wouldn't be to bad for a few years I wouldn't think anyways. There's a guy around here that does that. If you have yards that close where you and an employee can use two 60's in one neighborhood get two and do the fleet programing with exmark, so you get a little discount. Hope this helps :waving:.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
congrats on the plow and leaf vac

thanks , i cant wait to put the plow to work. I am getting soundoff Hideaway led's installed tomorrow and im really excited.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
About the 36, i just wish it wasnt taking room up on the trailer. I might put in the back of my truck and just ramp it onto the trailer, but it doesnt fit with two lazers both having qds's on them. I tried it. its like 8" to short

I see. Well I would differentially hang onto that 36 if you think your going to run two crews and need it in the next few years. I say this because its way to nice of a mower and you would be taking a money loss on it by selling it used. And for now I would just ramp it into your truck if you have to, that wouldn't be to bad for a few years I wouldn't think anyways. There's a guy around here that does that. If you have yards that close where you and an employee can use two 60's in one neighborhood get two and do the fleet programing with exmark, so you get a little discount. Hope this helps :waving:.[/QUOTE]

that is defniitly what i am working up to do, but the fleet program i think is 12 points. Lazer 29 hp EFI KAWI are 5 point's each and baggeres are 1 point each(i think) It give you i think a thousand off the sticker price the fleet discount. I looked into it this summer when i had both lazers and was going to trade them in.<that is what i should have done because for two brand new lazers i would be paying only around 6k. They were gonna givem e 7,500 for my xs and 7,500 for my 2009 27hp 60". I should have done it, 6k is nothing for two mowers, especially since i don't finance mowers because i always want something different after a year. Maybe thats cuz i usually buy lightly used stuff.

Anyone have a problem starting engines in this weather. I put my xs in the middle of the driveway today after the last clean up(i store equipment in my garage so its sheltered) and left. When i came back there was an inch of snow in it and i couldnt turn the key, the choke and throttle cables were all frozen up and everything was stiff. Its still sitting there now.

How the hell am i supposed to start a frozen mower?

stuntmanlogan
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
How the hell am i supposed to start a frozen mower?[/QUOTE]

Had the same problem a couple days ago with my choke cable. You have to get heat on it asap. I had to put mine in my heated garage and run a hair dryer on it for about a half an hour and it finally came lose so I could start it back it into the garage and let it sit in there for the day. Afterwards stray WD 40 on it and just work it into the cable it will help a little for the future.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
How the hell am i supposed to start a frozen mower?

Had the same problem a couple days ago with my choke cable. You have to get heat on it asap. I had to put mine in my heated garage and run a hair dryer on it for about a half an hour and it finally came lose so I could start it back it into the garage and let it sit in there for the day. Afterwards stray WD 40 on it and just work it into the cable it will help a little for the future.[/QUOTE]

hopefully it just warms up. I dont wanna sit in the 20 degree weather with a hair dryer. maybe i'll just go buy that kerosen heater i want for the garage and aim it at the mower. ha

superintendent
12-02-2010, 12:10 AM
How do you like the exmark efi can't decide on which one to go with. What blades are you using

DLONGLANDSCAPING
12-02-2010, 12:44 AM
When i demo'd it i loved it. I dont own it, i have an exmark xs with a 35hp vangaurd. I love the mower but i just want the new ultra cut series 6 deck. Its the best i have ever used. better than scag velosity. I was gonna switch to scag, but i think im gonna stick with exmark