PDA

View Full Version : HBL Light Links

jshimmin
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm looking for a string light manufacturer that closely matches the incandescent light output of HBL's light links.

Customers do not want to shell out for an entire roof line in the product, but will do it in phases if we can find a way to match. They want the links on the gables, then strings on the horizontal runs.

David Gretzmier
09-23-2010, 11:20 PM
not sure that I reccomend what you are suggesting, but if customers want it...HBL sells light strings with the caps that are the exact milliamp bulbs that are in the links, and they are on 5.5 inch spacing. if you find the right mini-light clip, you could essentially install those as one would c-7'a or c-9's on the straight runs. I believe they are around 10-15 bucks for 50 and 100 light sets. while that may seem high for mini lights in bushes or trees, the way you wish to use them on gutter runs is pretty cheap per foot compared to links. I figure the 100 light sets are about 45 foot long, and at 15 bucks that is only 30 cents per foot cost for bulb and cord, and probably another 16 cents for a 2-3 all in one mini light all in one clip per foot. you are limited by the lengths, you can't cut 50's or 100's to end a run. and doubling back is not really an option or pulling bulbs. first year, to do this, labor/overhead wise you need to be getting 4-5 bucks per foot over cost or you will not find this is worth your while. 2nd third year 3-4.

I have mixed c-9's and c-7's with links and it was fine as far as brightness. putting clear c-9's on straights, with icicle or snowflake links did not look wrong at all. Plus you can custom fit c-9s to any space. on our installed prices with all cords, clips, timers, c-9s are somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of installed links.

jshimmin
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I like the C-7 mix myself. I'm going to mock up a house now so that I can get a photo for demonstration purposes. It's easier to gradually add light links over time.