PDA

View Full Version : EDGERS: 4 wheels vs 1

Smartgene
08-12-2002, 05:15 AM
I'd like to know if you guys prefer the 4 wheel type edgers or the one wheel kind that look more like a weed wip.

Got Grass?
08-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Never used the "stick" type edger.
Use the trimmer for touch ups, weekly maint.
3 wheel edger if it's bad & usually the first few times with new customers & new seasons.

dr grass
08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
there are advantages to both. the walk - behind edgeris great for first time clients, or beginning of the year edgings. however, they are no good for curb side edging. all edgers are designed to ride along the cement while operating. this is impossible for the wals behind, because it is wider. this is where the stick edger come in to play. they are perfect for curb edging, and touch - ups after the first one of the year has been done.

Shep:blush:

crazygator
08-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
there are advantages to both. the walk - behind edgeris great for first time clients, or beginning of the year edgings. however, they are no good for curb side edging. all edgers are designed to ride along the cement while operating. this is impossible for the wals behind, because it is wider. this is where the stick edger come in to play. they are perfect for curb edging, and touch - ups after the first one of the year has been done.

I disagree. I own a 3 wheel made by MTD that has a wheel that goes up and down which allows 2 wheels to ride on the curb and the other one to swivel down onto the road or walkway.

Smartgene
08-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Well, I've been using the 3 whell, which I accidentally called four, and today I just got the one wheel stick and I love it. I agree that for first time edges, perhpas the 3 wheel is better, but for routine maintenance, it's not even close.
I bought a Sthil for $230.00

mowngrow
08-12-2002, 06:36 PM
every edger has its place, however i gave my four(three) wheel edger away because it was way to slow. dont get me wrong it did a good job when i wasn't edging the street but then i got a stick edger and let me tell you, it goes as fast as i need it to.
the only time i use it is on new customers at the first cutting, after that it goes in the garage
every tool has its place

gvandora
08-12-2002, 06:39 PM
A neat trick I found for doing first time edges with a stick edger is to pull it backwards. It seems to be able to deal with the thicker stuff that way. Its not nearly as fast as going forward, but when you need to cut through thick horrible growth it does work.

dr grass
08-12-2002, 08:34 PM
crazygator - i have no idea what your talking about. i have a little wonder power edger, and there is no way you could use it for curbside. your talking a good 8-12" from the curb to the road. ive never heard of a walk behind that you can use on curb edges.

Shep :dizzy:

Vibe Ray
08-12-2002, 09:07 PM
To tell you the truth the best way to go is w/ trimmers.....The ultimate edgers! It may take you as long as a month to master it perfectly, but it is well worth it. Much quicker than stick edger for many reasons....It doesn't even do too bad a job on new edges if you know what you are doing.
I had just recently started to use this method and like it much better.

Southern Lawns
08-12-2002, 09:34 PM
We use the stick edger for all of the heavy edging and 90% of the time the guide wheel never comes near the ground, around bed areas we like to tilt the edger away from the bed to give it a deeper (wider) cut. I also agree with Vibe about the trimmer being a good edger, we use that on already grooved properties to give it a deep edged look. The trimmer does tend to fling mulch a bit more than a stick edger though. So on those props. we use the edger. A person who can edge great with a trimmer can do magic. And they say we're not skilled!;)

Smartgene
08-13-2002, 06:59 AM
I'll use the stick edger on every visit now. Once the edge is established, I can keep it perfect and go as fast as I can walk. I never got the hang of edging with a trimmer, and now i don't need to. My 3 wheel gave me a lot of problems. It's a yard machines model and the blade would not stay in place, kept jumping out of the groove - we had to hold it in place while we edged. We made terrible time with it. I agree that a little back and forth and you can establish new edges with the stick too.

Got Grass?
08-13-2002, 03:24 PM
I may seem a bit odd. But I have a 3 wheel Crafstman, Yes you read that right a Crafstman. 5HP model.
Works great on new edges. The right wheel adjusts down to the road for curbs. The blades have 4 edges instead of the common 2 edges, wich prevents it fom jumping up & sounding like a bad concrete saw.

I believe the adjustable drop/curbing wheel was patanted so MTD must make the Craftsman ones & thats why no others have that great feature.

Still cant figure out why the front wheel is adjustable left to right & up/down.