PDA

View Full Version : Clean Cut Lawns

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Just thought I'd post a few pics of equipment and work. This is my first year in business, and I only wanted to get some decent equipment this year and pay it off. I've done that, so now I'm set to (hopefully) pocket some coin next year. Part time only, but I seriously feel like my full-time job for the last 16 years may be coming to an end at any time (newspaper industry is struggling), so I want to be prepared to go full time into this when the time is right.

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Here the new Bob-Cat 36" hydro I just bought yesterday, about 30 seconds before cutting grass for the first time.

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
My 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and 16-ft tandem trailer. Everything is dirty as can be, since it rained all morning here this morning, and I was caught doing a very overgrown, THICK Bermuda lawn in the rain. Clippings EVERWHERE. Oh well, it's just grass........

Kennedy Landscaping
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Looks good, I like your trailer, but it looks like you need about eight new tires. Truck and trailer lol.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
On another note, I would take that second key off of your new mower and keep it in the truck. For two reasons, sometimes they come up missing for one reason or the other. And if your ocd about keeping things looking nice like I am, that second key will rub on the warning labels on your dash and tear them up. Been there done it, but still some good stuff in this thread man.

groundskeeperllc
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
looks like the yards are CLEAN CUT to me, keep up the good work

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice new bobcat i really like it.its kool.u got a great setup.and nice stripes.

lifetree
09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes, it looks like you do good work and have a nice array of equipment ... good luck when you go full time !!

bobcat48
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
And i like ur trailer.

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks all. Austin, I'll get that key off there asap. I just picked the mower up last night, got two yards done before dark, and then it rained all day today. I was busy mounting my catcher and stuff today, so didn't even pay attention to it. But, yeah, it'll reside in the toolbox with the rest of them......

Oh, and as for tires, only one trailer tire is looking a little thin. The other seven are good for now. It was kinda dark when I took these pics earlier (been rainy all day, just dried up before dark), so maybe that's why they look that way.........not sure. Thanks for lookin' out for me though!

SNAPPER MAN
09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Setup looks good man. Thats a good looking truck too. How do you like the bobcat walk behind? I looked at them and the pricing is very attractive.

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Setup looks good man. Thats a good looking truck too. How do you like the bobcat walk behind? I looked at them and the pricing is very attractive.

Thanks man. I'm liking it so far, but I've only mowed three yards with it, so I'm still really slow (never used anything but my belt-drive Scag before this). Give me some time to get used to it and I'll let ya know. I can tell you that the cut is really nice, and I actually think it has more lift than my Scag. Both machines will roll thru thick, overgrown Bermuda without missing a beat. The main reason I went to hydro is because the pistol grips were really making my hands hurt at the end of the day. I've already got a mild case of Carpal Tunnel, and I'm trying to keep it from getting any worse. Seems like the Bob-Cat is gonna work out in that respect at least. Let me get a full day of mowing in (hopefully tomorrow), and I'll report back.

SNAPPER MAN
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks man. I'm liking it so far, but I've only mowed three yards with it, so I'm still really slow (never used anything but my belt-drive Scag before this). Give me some time to get used to it and I'll let ya know. I can tell you that the cut is really nice, and I actually think it has more lift than my Scag. Both machines will roll thru thick, overgrown Bermuda without missing a beat. The main reason I went to hydro is because the pistol grips were really making my hands hurt at the end of the day. I've already got a mild case of Carpal Tunnel, and I'm trying to keep it from getting any worse. Seems like the Bob-Cat is gonna work out in that respect at least. Let me get a full day of mowing in (hopefully tomorrow), and I'll report back.

Thats cool man. I bought a 32" wright stander this year and honestly I prefer walk behinds. This mower is just too damn heavy for most residential and unless someone who knows what they are doing is using it you can screw some stuff up. My plan is to sell it and my belt drive walk behind at the end of next year and buy two hydro walk behinds with sulkys and that way when its wet we can walk but if its dry we can hop and the sulky and fly.

mowerdude777
09-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Looks GREAT

ShooterK2
09-23-2010, 11:31 PM
That's EXACTLY why I stick to walk-behinds. I don't know if you mow a lot of Bermuda or not, but around here, the thick, nice Bermuda lawns will rut quickly with a heavy machine. I had a 48" ZTR, and I liked some things about it, but it would beat you to death, and rut up a nice lawn QUICK. That's not mentioning that it would scalp sometimes (I absolutely DESPISE scalping Bermuda). I traded it in on this Bob-Cat. This is my first new mower, and I'm happy with it so far.

Also, I really prefer riding on a sulky to sitting on a ZTR. I feel better at the end of the day. I know, most folks would rather sit, but I'm just weird I guess! Plus, I like being able to lean on hills, and step off and walk if it's steep, not to mention duck really low for branches, etc. I just feel like a walk-behind is the one machine that can do it all.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 12:13 AM
What did that Bobcat set you back if you don't mind me asking?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 12:35 AM
What did that Bobcat set you back if you don't mind me asking?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, let me start by saying that I bought a used Cub Cadet Z-Wing at the beginning of this season, from another dealer, for $3,000. When I started looking to trade it in, the Bob-Cat dealer offered me what I paid for my Cub, which really surprised me, since it was another year older now, with more hours. However, he was high on this machine ($5,600). So I actually think both prices were inflated. What I do know is that I traded my Cub and $2,600 for this Bob-Cat. So, however you want to look at it. I don't think I got a great deal, but I don't think I got ripped either, and I just wanted this machine.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah that seems kinda high...its a fixed deck right?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Yeah, fixed deck. I prefer to look at t this way: If he only wanted $4,600 for the mower (which I feel is about right), and gave me $2,000 for my trade (which is about what I was expecting), it would have been the same money. Anyway, it's a done deal now. I'm happy with the mower and the cut, and I know I'll get faster as I get used to the controls, so I'm not worried.
I could have gotten a Hustler locally for $4,700, but I've read about cut problems, and some folks don't like the controls (and some love 'em......go figure), but the dealer doesn't take trades. Guess I could have sold mine for $2,100 and come out the same, but it's the end of the season now, so it may have sit for months until someone bought it. And, like I said, I really wanted the Bob-Cat.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah, sometimes not have to deal with showing and selling something is worth it...that in itself can cost you.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
You're right. Plus, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere (halfway between Oklahoma City and Amarillo, TX), and it's hard to sell things like this locally here. I could put it on Craigslist, but someone from OKC would have to drive 2 hours to get here, etc. Just a big hassle.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I paid $5800 cash for my Toro for what its worth and I think I paid too much for that...I bet we would both be sick if we knew the markup on these once they left the factory. I bet its 100% or better...I'm not talking dealer markup.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
That's exactly what I kept thinking. But I just tell myself that it's ok, because I know it's a good machine and will make me a lot of money in years to come. But, yeah, I can buy a pretty good used car or truck for that kind of money........

Hey, did your Toro come with an hour meter? I was expecting one on this machine, but it doesn't have one. So I ordered one yesterday. I wanna get one on it as quickly as possible.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, the Toro came with hour meter, 17 hp Kawi, elec start and rubber discharge chute, floating deck...that's some of the reason why I picked it over other mowers.

Change your hydro filter at 8 hours and engine oil and filter at 8 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Coolness. Hey, not to be nosey, but did you get a new toy lately? Every post of yours as of late says "posted via mobile device".........

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Coolness. Hey, not to be nosey, but did you get a new toy lately? Every post of yours as of late says "posted via mobile device".........

No, I just don't have time to sit behind a PC all day and I reply via my Berry.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Like right now I'm mounting my skid in my truck...
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Done...sorry to hijack.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/IMG00347-20100924-0851-1.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I see. I never noticed it before, that's why I asked. Ok, I knocked out 4 lawns this morning. Getting better at zero-turns, and can do them without tearing turf almost every time. Keep in mind that it rained almost all day yesterday, so it's still soft. Getting better at holding a straight line, but still need work in that area.....Bumpy lawns make it tough to keep it straight, especially when accelerating from a turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
It will be like riding a bike in 2 weeks (you won't even think about it)...I run mine full stick (6.2 mph) smooth or bumpy...its fun when you hit the bar with your gut going 6.2 mph when riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMowerKing10
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Nice , I wish my new 36 came with the newer Kawi motor.

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 08:35 PM
It will be like riding a bike in 2 weeks (you won't even think about it)...I run mine full stick (6.2 mph) smooth or bumpy...its fun when you hit the bar with your gut going 6.2 mph when riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've done that a few times with my Scag. Usually when turning around fast, and one of the casters hits something (dang, I didn't think I was that close.....). The pistol grip just digs right into the old gut........leaves a nice red mark in the exact shape of the end of the bar.......

Nice , I wish my new 36 came with the newer Kawi motor.

What motor and what mower do you have?
My Scag has the 15 hp Kawasaki, and I've never needed any more power. I don't give horsepower ratings much credit anyway. If it's got enough power, that's all ya need. No sense having TOO MUCH motor. Just makes it heavier for no good reason then.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Contact this person for advice on a velke for your mower.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222716&highlight=homemade+sulky
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Contact this person for advice on a velke for your mower.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222716&highlight=homemade+sulky
Posted via Mobile Device

Ummmmmm.............no thanks. Good grief. That thing looks downright dangerous.

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Ummmmmm.............no thanks. Good grief. That thing looks downright dangerous.

No, its perfectly safe...he used pressure treated lumber.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 11:11 PM
OH!! Well, in that case, send me a dozen of them........

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 11:27 PM
OH!! Well, in that case, send me a dozen of them........

They are special order only, direct from the manufacturer.:laugh:

ShooterK2
09-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Now look what you've done. Dug up that old thread, got us all in trouble, and now it's closed. Geez...........talk about a bad influence.

cgaengineer
09-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Now look what you've done. Dug up that old thread, got us all in trouble, and now it's closed. Geez...........talk about a bad influence.

And I didn't get to save the pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
04-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I know it's been a few days (or more like a couple of years) since I posted anything here, but I just wanted to show a few pics from today. I posted some of them in the G6 blade thread as well, but just wanted to show an overgrown, weedy lawn that I cut today.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1520.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1518.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1517.jpg

And after a couple of passes:

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1523.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1521.jpg

Keep in mind that I did not bag the clippings here. Side discharge only.

I'll try to shoot a few pics of some nicer lawns sometime, but this is all for today.

LawnMan19
04-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Glad you dug this thread up, I really like the bobcat man.

ShooterK2
04-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Glad you dug this thread up, I really like the bobcat man.

Thanks. I'm really loving that mower. I'm still part-time at this, and last year we were in a SEVERE drought here, and so I really didn't get to cut anything too overgrown with it. But this yard today was a good one to test the mower, as well as the new blades. I'm very impressed. I mowed two nice Bermuda lawns before this one today, and the cut is better than I could have ever expected. It even stripes the Bermuda, and that's not easy with a rotary mower and no roller/flap/chains/etc.

ShooterK2
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
We haven't had a lot of rain yet this year, and we had almost ZERO rain all of last year, so the non-irrigated yards (such as this one) are not in great shape. I was still able to lay some decent stripes (those who cut Bermuda know how difficult that is with a rotary mower) with my Bob-Cat today.

Cut at 2.75"

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1582.jpg

ShooterK2
04-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I forgot to mention that this is regular old common Bermuda. Nothing special.

LawnMan19
04-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Stripes look pretty good man.

ShooterK2
04-28-2012, 09:38 PM
A typical size front yard around here. Most of my properties are around 1/4 acre total (counting the house and everything). Many back yards are larger than the fronts.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/ShooterK2/IMG_1615.jpg

LawnMan19
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Looking good man.

lawnman3
04-28-2012, 11:30 PM
shooter it looks good keep up the great work ..that is a great looking mower also .. i wish i could buy new...

ndols2
04-29-2012, 03:00 AM
I like the controls, way better then postal grip. How do the feel, and run?

ShooterK2
04-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys. I like the Bob-Cat a lot. It took a little getting used to, but now the controls are effortless, with no strain on my hands and wrists like the pistol grips had. Don't get me wrong, if it weren't for the pain it caused my wrists and hands, the pistol grip models are great. I just couldn't take it!

There is a developing neighborhood on the outskirts of town here. Nice homes on 1-acre tracts. I've picked up one already. If I continue to get these, I may look into a larger machine (used), as it takes a while to mow that much area with a 36". But I will always keep a 36" on board for these smaller in-town lots with gates that it barely fits through.