PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Christmas tree wholesalers

shade tree landscaping
09-23-2010, 09:57 PM
anyone have any christmas tree wholesalers in the N.E. that they would reccomend? looking to get into it this year, seems like good money, short time period.
pros?
cons?

thnks in advance

David Gretzmier
09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
do a search on here, you'll find a good amount of info on christmas tree lots. not so much on where to get trees. most states have a christmas tree growers association. They all charge about the same. based on what I have read here, the volume you buy determines the deals you get for the most part.

ken18621
09-24-2010, 08:19 PM
You can browse here for starters and get a feel for what prices are.
http://www.christmastrees.org/guides/2010WholesaleBuyersGuide.pdf

A 6-7' douglas fir should wholesale for about 17-20 dollars. Frasier Fir will be several dollars more. Find out what the market wants, It would be a good idea to have several different species (douglas fir,frasier fir, concolor fir, cannan fir, blue spruce, ect)

If you have a superior product and a good location you will enjoy years of business. If you buy unhealthy trees your venture will be short lived.

Tell your customers helpful tips like how to care for their tree to keep it looking nice and healthy through out the season ( a fresh 1/4" cut off the handle before being placed in the stand and always keeping the water level high so the cut doesnt get exposed to air and "sap over" is ALL you need to keep a healthy tree for the holidays).

Let them know that you are a few bucks more than the big box store down the road because yours are cut fresh and not cut in early November and cut in the USA not Canada. You are supporting a local grower instead of their money leaving the country. Helpful information like that will make your customer a loyal customer.

I am a tree grower going into my 5th season of planting, I will have 2 to 3 more years before I have 6-7 footers to wholesale . It takes a lot of time and money to grow Christmas trees. I encourage you to buy from a local reputable wholesaler that will keep your money in the local economy and eventually coming back to you.
Good Luck

shade tree landscaping
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
thanks for the info. Def know and understand that "you get what you pay for" even when buying them wholesale. still in the planing/number crunching stage rite now to see if its profitable enough to do this season.

farmersfeedu
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi,
we grow Fraser's and some blue spruce along with norways. We can help with shipping and have super nice trees. Give me an e-mail if you want a price list or any other info. Grassy Creek Farms N.C.