PDA

View Full Version : Mowing leaving stragglers

cbkc
09-24-2010, 03:06 AM
PJ - My 2004 Super Z is having trouble with the finish of the cut. It is leaving "stragglers" or strands of uncut grass so I have to mow each yard twice. I tried using a high-lift blade and also a set of gator blades with a medium lift and it doesn't seem to help either way. It seems ok when I'm only cutting off 1/2" or so of Kentucky Blue Grass but when I'm cutting off 2" or so it's missing a lot and it looks like it's pushing down the lighter crabgrass type weeds instead of cutting them. Any advice on what I should try? I cleaned the underside of the deck and sharpened the blades again to eliminate any obvious causes and can't seem to find a solution. I'm wanting to make one pass instead of mowing each yard twice for obvious time and money savings. There is a gravely diesel that cuts properties near me and he isn't having the same trouble on the same type of properties...help!

mowerconsultant
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
PJ - My 2004 Super Z is having trouble with the finish of the cut. It is leaving "stragglers" or strands of uncut grass so I have to mow each yard twice. I tried using a high-lift blade and also a set of gator blades with a medium lift and it doesn't seem to help either way. It seems ok when I'm only cutting off 1/2" or so of Kentucky Blue Grass but when I'm cutting off 2" or so it's missing a lot and it looks like it's pushing down the lighter crabgrass type weeds instead of cutting them. Any advice on what I should try? I cleaned the underside of the deck and sharpened the blades again to eliminate any obvious causes and can't seem to find a solution. I'm wanting to make one pass instead of mowing each yard twice for obvious time and money savings. There is a gravely diesel that cuts properties near me and he isn't having the same trouble on the same type of properties...help!

I dont recall if you updated your deck opening and are using the Fusion blades with the spacer kit?
Let me know.

Pj

DAR57
09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
2 things that worked for me; high lifts and sharp blades-ESPECIALLY THE CORNERS ARE NOT ROUNDED AT ALL. The sharp corners are the most important!!

demhustler
10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
why hustler doesn't use longer blades for more blade overlap? 4 example, 61'' deck bldes with 2/3 more overlap distribution between left and central blade?

cbkc
10-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I should buy another set of blades anyway. I tried the high lift blades but it seems to really put a strain on the mower when going up hills so I have been using the standard lift gator blades.

PJ - I don't have the enlarged opening, can you send me instructions on how to do this? I'm assuming I can do this on my own? Can you describe "fusion" blades in detail?

mowerconsultant
10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I should buy another set of blades anyway. I tried the high lift blades but it seems to really put a strain on the mower when going up hills so I have been using the standard lift gator blades.

PJ - I don't have the enlarged opening, can you send me instructions on how to do this? I'm assuming I can do this on my own? Can you describe "fusion" blades in detail?

If you email me I will email you back the information on the deck opening enlargement.
The Fusion blades have been on commercial Hustler's since 2005 / 2006, they are sharpened almost to the center to help with a better cut, they are also Fusion treated to provide a harder cutting edge for longer blade life and stays sharper longer.

Pj