PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting away from our Walkers?

MnLefty
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok guys here's the scoop. I took over a business this year and am in the process of evaluating all methods and equipment. I'm thinking about changing things up a bit on our cleanups.

We have 3 Walkers in the fleet that are our primary machines for cleanups. We're running Wright Standers and Toro Grandstands as our daily production mowers. We run the Walkers on a few properties that request bagging, but we could easily get by without them through the regular mowing season.

Fall cleanups are around the corner and the previous owner's method was 1-2x mow/mulch with the standers to reduce leaf volume, then final cleanup with the Walker.

He was in love with the Walkers, I'm not. I will concede that their bagging seems to be superior, but the machines are quite delicate. We've experienced a number of electrical issues among other things this season.

I'm starting to think there must be a better alternative. There's a lot of $$$ invested in machines and maintenance that are basically for cleanup only. Selling at least one if not two of the Walkers would provide $$$ that could be better spent on more productive machines for our operation, along with fitting alternative bagging methods onto the stand-ons. I'm curious to hear from others on their bagging methods... I"m wondering how much difference there is between the Walkers, vs. a Trac-Vac, vs. an Accelerator type catcher?

Would love to hear from others who have experience with multiple methods of bagging!

MJB
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok guys here's the scoop. I took over a business this year and am in the process of evaluating all methods and equipment. I'm thinking about changing things up a bit on our cleanups.

We have 3 Walkers in the fleet that are our primary machines for cleanups. We're running Wright Standers and Toro Grandstands as our daily production mowers. We run the Walkers on a few properties that request bagging, but we could easily get by without them through the regular mowing season.

Fall cleanups are around the corner and the previous owner's method was 1-2x mow/mulch with the standers to reduce leaf volume, then final cleanup with the Walker.

He was in love with the Walkers, I'm not. I will concede that their bagging seems to be superior, but the machines are quite delicate. We've experienced a number of electrical issues among other things this season.

I'm starting to think there must be a better alternative. There's a lot of $$$ invested in machines and maintenance that are basically for cleanup only. Selling at least one if not two of the Walkers would provide $$$ that could be better spent on more productive machines for our operation, along with fitting alternative bagging methods onto the stand-ons. I'm curious to hear from others on their bagging methods... I"m wondering how much difference there is between the Walkers, vs. a Trac-Vac, vs. an Accelerator type catcher?

Would love to hear from others who have experience with multiple methods of bagging!

I got away from bagging and sold both Walkers. I went with a couple different accelerator types for bagging. I mulch everything down and just pick up the excess clippings or leaves. The Accelerator are a lot more work if you are picking up much. They fill up faster probably 3 to 1 maybe 4 to 1 difference. I would sell off 2 of the Walkers and keep 1 until you figure out what is best for your operation. I'm thinking about buying a bagging system for 1 of my Exmarks I think they look pretty easy to use. I'm anxious to hear what others are using the most for cleanups too.

MnLefty
09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I would sell off 2 of the Walkers and keep 1 until you figure out what is best for your operation. I'm anxious to hear what others are using the most for cleanups too.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I was just at a dealer open house today and saw an LCO developed collection system that mounts on the back of the Stander. It was a really impressive design. Selling one of my Walkers could pay for two of the systems, and probably a couple accelerator type bags for bagging the handful of properties that we bag year round. The other could pay for another production unit... maybe a 36" stander or grandstand for the handful of properties where the Walker fits in the gate but the 52"s don't.

yardguy28
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
i agree while the walkers are nice as bagging machines they could go.....

here is what i do for fall clean ups. i come on a weekly basis. first i blow the hardscapes clean and the mulch beds clean into the turf. then i throw the bagger on my toro grandstand and make one pass over all the turfed areas. once the bagger is full it mulches the leaves a little bit. then i empty and make a second pass bagging everything up. depending on how large the property is and how many leaves are actually down on the second pass i may or may not have to empty the bagger. if i do its no more than i would have to in the spring and summer if i were just bagging grass.

then if anything needs trimmed which it usually doens't in the fall i trim and run the blower one more time and i'm gone.

i also have my 36" metor fitted with a trac vac system for really heavy stuff. i'll either have a helper run that in the back while i'm in the front or i'll run over everything once with the grandstand like i said above then go back over it with the trac vac.

jeffscap
09-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I guess it's what kind of application your doing. I've been in business for 35yrs running just about all the latest machines. Were into pretty much grooming a lawn, thats why we like the walkers, again they are not fast but they are efficient mowers for residential turf. The mow and go guys like the speed, and big bags with tubes, that plug when wet. If your charging a little, you got to go fast. If your moderate, it seems that you retain your customer base at a reasonable price.

oldclawn
09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
You either like Walkers or you don't! Period.
We've used them since '95 and can't imagine not having a couple, but they are not our main machines. We bleed Scag gold but Walkers have served us well and basically have never given us any problems and well worth the money they cost IF you have the proper work for them and the right expectations. Like the torque wrench in your tool box--it's a specialty item--treat it that way and it's well worth it.

Drew Gemma
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
i'll buy your walkers

MnLefty
09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
We've used them since '95 and can't imagine not having a couple, but they are not our main machines. We bleed Scag gold but Walkers have served us well and basically have never given us any problems and well worth the money they cost IF you have the proper work for them and the right expectations. Like the torque wrench in your tool box--it's a specialty item--treat it that way and it's well worth it.

How true it is... the guy I bought the business from loved them... I don't. I look at them sitting most of the summer and think that it is a lot of $$$ not being utilized, that could be better spent. For me they are just to expensive to be a specialty item.

i'll buy your walkers

We do need to find the right collection system(s) first, but I will keep you informed when the time comes.

Sammy
09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
We do need to find the right collection system(s) first, but I will keep you informed when the time comes.

GrassHopper.................

http://www.bargainshopper.ca/grasshoppermowers/images/model15b.jpg

Southern Pride
09-25-2010, 12:38 AM

The "Walker" style mower is the best bagging system engineered yet. You are sick of the rediculous maintenance ($/time) spent on the yellow machines. If you get time go to the eXmark dealer and take a look at their "Navigator"...Basically exmark took the primal walker design that makes it so good for bagging and improved everything. There is a video on youtube with comparisons of both. Highly suggest you check it out. Maybe sell all 3 walkers, and get a Navigator or two. I'm highly experienced with the Navigator. I can't say enough about it. We used it as a primary mower (backup was a push mower lol) on 75 accounts last season. Never had a problem. Gas, oil, grease typical maintenance. Nothing major. The walker was created centurys ago so most guys are used to them and just stick with them but I swear the Navi is Cadillac, Walker is buick.

As far as replacing the Walker with anything else than Navigator I would not expect very good vacuum, cut and bag quality.

Get on youtube, the video was Walker vs. Navigator or something

yardguy28
09-25-2010, 03:27 AM
i think your F.O.S. on this navigator being better than walker information.

no exmark dealer i've ever talked to will even say the navigator is better than the walker. it's the other way around.

i don't like walker at all but i know when comparing the 2 walker will win hands down. no one has been able to replicate what they have. someone might have something similar but not as good or better.

stan the man
09-25-2010, 09:06 AM
i have walkers 1 2006 ran great no problems with it. 1 2008 and it brakes belts about 2 weeks ago the belts broke again back to the shop again and that day i went and got new exmark navigator and walker cuts better. 2008 i have put a lot money in it just on the belts. all my lawn are picking up the grass clippings that is why i ran walker on the bagging system. don't get me wrong exmark it is ok machine. if i didn't have to pick up clipping i would be using different machine

jeffscap
09-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Here, Here Exactly! :)

Maple Wood
09-25-2010, 10:11 AM
You need to keep the walkers and utilize them more.
1. Buy a side discharge deck so you can use them to mow regular.
2. Buy a perforator/aerator for the walker and up sell aeration's. Great money maker!
3.Buy a dethaching rake and up sell dethachings.

I have a walker with 3300 hrs still going strong. It is a specialty tool on my operation and it gives a very polished and professional edge.

yardguy28
09-25-2010, 10:34 AM
not everyone is made of money and can afford those options.

and maybe he's not interested in those options. i personally think him getting rid of them is his best option. walkers aren't all there cracked up to be. and certainly aren't the best mower on the market. so it's not like he'd be getting rid of the best thing since bread and butter.

i'd much rather have a stander or any other sit down ztr than a walker. while the GHS is nice, to have to bag every single property every single time would be a pain. and again for some it's not pratical to purchase another deck. or any of those other attachments.

Maple Wood
09-25-2010, 12:33 PM

and maybe he's not interested in those options. i personally think him getting rid of them is his best option. walkers aren't all there cracked up to be. and certainly aren't the best mower on the market. so it's not like he'd be getting rid of the best thing since bread and butter.

i'd much rather have a stander or any other sit down ztr than a walker. while the GHS is nice, to have to bag every single property every single time would be a pain. and again for some it's not pratical to purchase another deck. or any of those other attachments.

I only bag the premium yards on a regular basis. You need to have enough business savvy to charge accordingly or don't bag them (and loose them).

If you are about to go broke, then get rid of them. If you are looking at adding frosting to the cake, keep them and use them more.

Those options should pay for them selves in the first year with proper marketing and management.

yardguy28
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I only bag the premium yards on a regular basis. You need to have enough business savvy to charge accordingly or don't bag them (and loose them).

If you are about to go broke, then get rid of them. If you are looking at adding frosting to the cake, keep them and use them more.

Those options should pay for them selves in the first year with proper marketing and management.

oh i do charge accordingly for bagging.

i personally would never purchase a walker or navigator in the first place. i really don't think they are worth the money no matter how much you charge your clients.

i was just saying i think in my opinion it is a better business decision for him to sell them and "upgrade" the other equipment he has so it works for him rather than keep them and purchase attachments for them.

while they are nice for bagging in general they aren't that much superior to throwing a bagger on any other ztr. i can get roughly the same look from using my toro grandstand and a bagger as people can get with there walkers.

MnLefty
09-25-2010, 02:01 PM

We already have the standers that are much more efficient as a daily mower than a side discharge Walker. And for the handful of properties that we do bag regularly, a side bagger for a stand-on makes much more sense than swapping decks on the Walker.

2. Buy a perforator/aerator for the walker and up sell aeration's. Great money maker!

I'm in the process of selling the perfaerator that we have. It's great for wide open spaces, but for small to medium sized lawns it is far from the best option. There is a hefty learning curve to operate it in tight spaces, takes a skilled operator or 3 hands. I bought the Lawn Solutions ride-on, and for our properties it will do circles around the Walker and pulls better plugs to boot.

Again, we've got them and do dethatching/spring cleanups for most of our customers, but the JRCO rakes on the stander work just as well, and have been a sturdier option for us.

I have a walker with 3300 hrs still going strong. It is a specialty tool on my operation and it gives a very polished and professional edge.

It's got nothing to do with going broke, it's much more about making smarter use of my money. If I can find a more economical option than the Walker while still providing the quality I need, that frees up $$ that can be used to upgrade current equipment, add new pieces for growth, or just put more in my pocket. I'm not opposed to spending money to have the right tool for the job, i.e. the Lawn Solutions aerator, but I'm also not interested in having a shop full of under-utilized expensive equipment. We already have other pieces for the uses you listed that provide the quality we need with a better return on investment than the Walker. That leaves bagging as the only use left for us. That's where I'm at right now. I'm looking for a bagging option(s) that give me a better return on investment than the Walker does while still providing an acceptable quality of finish. If I can't find that, I'll keep the Walkers, but my hunch is it's out there for me somewhere.

jeffscap
09-25-2010, 04:36 PM

3300hrs thats pretty good and again I give you the walker wave~ :clapping:

yardguy28
09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
maybe he sell his walkers to you then

kubotafan
09-25-2010, 09:32 PM
The "Walker" style mower is the best bagging system engineered yet. You are sick of the rediculous maintenance ($/time) spent on the yellow machines.

Is maintainance that much more time consuming and expensive to keep running? I have never owned one but think being able to tip the deck to clean and change blades for sharpening would save a lot of time. It could be done without even unloading from the trailer.

ed2hess
09-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I didn't read the entire thread but why can't you get either mulching or sidedischarge decks on those Walkers and use them year round. The decks are only around $2K.

MnLefty
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I didn't read the entire thread but why can't you get either mulching or sidedischarge decks on those Walkers and use them year round. The decks are only around $2K.

Because our standers and grandstands are faster, cheaper, cut just as well as the Walker, and flat out out-produce the Walker for 3/4ths of our season. The one advantage I see to the Walker is the collection system for spring and fall cleanups...

KS_Grasscutter
09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
If you don't like the walker get a couple midmounts with baggers. Maybe a 60 and a 44 or something? Sure beats the hell out of side baggers.

Personally I would keep the Walkers, thing I like about them is you can get a 48 inch through a gate as narrow as 45 inches or so, if you hit it at an angle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawnut101
09-26-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't like how Walkers look. They don't look that great to me. I will take an Exmark any day of the week.

MJB
09-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Is maintainance that much more time consuming and expensive to keep running? I have never owned one but think being able to tip the deck to clean and change blades for sharpening would save a lot of time. It could be done without even unloading from the trailer.

Much higher maintenance all around from the grease zerks to all the dirt that builds up from being closer to the ground. Also some mentioned getting different decks, the Walker is best for bagging, the side discharge decks never left as good a cut as my Exmarks. Not saying they have not improved since I got rid of mine but they were best for just bagging period.

MJB
09-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't like how Walkers look. They don't look that great to me. I will take an Exmark any day of the week.

If you buy mowers based just on looks you will learn a expensive lesson the hard way. Walkers are great for bagging small yards 1 acre or less.

kubotafan
09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
If you buy mowers based just on looks you will learn a expensive lesson the hard way. Walkers are great for bagging small yards 1 acre or less.

I don't regularly do any bagging except for spring and fall clean up, and have never owned a Walker but have been considering on. Maybe just a MB model that doesn't have the GHS. I like the lightness of the weight for mowing on small lawns 1 acre and less. Any of the commercial zero turns I have seen are far heavier.

Would I be happy with a Walker or is there something else I should consider. I want a good cut, but weight is also important to me.

MOW ED
09-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Mn,
I am a small scale operation but after 15 seasons of learning I haven't found a quicker combination for leaf clean up. I use a Toro 62 deck with atomic blades. Most of the season they are mulched but towards the middle the Walker also is on the trailer. It is very valueable to me and I have had little problems since I got my 2000 26 efi GHS machine. I do not use it for everyday mowing but it is invalueable for spring and fall cleans and spring dethatching. I don't do large properties however I do a few in spring as one timers and the Walker still is functional.
Our business is probably different but I can't see not having the Walker. Its paid for itself 10 times already so I am a believer.

I may also be interested in your stuff if you decide otherwise. Take care, Go Vikes!!!

mowerbrad
09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
My JD z925 is my everything mower...mows weekly, dethatches and does the clean ups. I've used many other mowers and bagging systems and found that the deere bagging system is far superior to others that I have tried (Toro/Exmark, Bob-cat, Trac-Vac). The nice thing about the John Deere system is that it uses an 8" diameter hose going from the fan to the bags...other systems only had 6" diameter tubing. The extra 2" does help alot, I have yet to clog my system with over 100 hours of use on it. Plus the deere system has a 14 bushel capacity as opposed to the usual 12 bushel capacity. And my system will fill every bag to the top and not clog. My experience is that most bagging systems will fill one or two bags to the top and then get clogged leaving the third bag only partially filled.

yardguy28
09-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Because our standers and grandstands are faster, cheaper, cut just as well as the Walker, and flat out out-produce the Walker for 3/4ths of our season. The one advantage I see to the Walker is the collection system for spring and fall cleanups...

finally someone who agrees with me on this walker mower thing. my grandstand is faster, cheaper and cuts just as well as the walker. and yes the collection system would be nice for fall clean ups but not that much better than just throwing a bagger on my grandstand.

this statement always puzzles me. i would not put a walker on a small yard even if i had one. it would be more beneficial to use walkers on larger propertys and standers, walkbehinds, or the other sit down ztrs with baggers on smaller properties.

with the simple size of the actual machine it is to big for smaller properties. the smaller the property the smaller the piece of equipment i use is.

cpel2004
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
To be honest I dont understand the concept of Walker mowers. Every University and County extension recommends mulching the grass back into the grass. Why would you want to bag all of this grass and be responsible for disposal? I dont get it... I really dont!

stan the man
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
it is up to who is being mowed. i wouldn't be bagging if my account didn't want it bag.

MJB
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
finally someone who agrees with me on this walker mower thing. my grandstand is faster, cheaper and cuts just as well as the walker. and yes the collection system would be nice for fall clean ups but not that much better than just throwing a bagger on my grandstand.

this statement always puzzles me. i would not put a walker on a small yard even if i had one. it would be more beneficial to use walkers on larger propertys and standers, walkbehinds, or the other sit down ztrs with baggers on smaller properties.

with the simple size of the actual machine it is to big for smaller properties. the smaller the property the smaller the piece of equipment i use is.

Have you ever used a Walker when bagging is necessary in the spring?? Try dumping your stander with a side catcher about 5 times to every 1 time you would with a Walker. Time is money if you have to bag they have a niche and work well.
Every mower has it's niche and that is where you use it. Productivity is the bottom line, the standers are becoming more popular but I have never seen anyone bag with one yet. But who knows where technology will take us next, the sky is the limit.

yardguy28
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
To be honest I dont understand the concept of Walker mowers. Every University and County extension recommends mulching the grass back into the grass. Why would you want to bag all of this grass and be responsible for disposal? I dont get it... I really dont!

mulching isn't all it's cracked up be either though. conditions have to be just right for mulching to look good. otherwise you get clumps or the mower bogs down.

i side discharge when i can and bag when necessary.

Have you ever used a Walker when bagging is necessary in the spring?? Try dumping your stander with a side catcher about 5 times to every 1 time you would with a Walker. Time is money if you have to bag they have a niche and work well.
Every mower has it's niche and that is where you use it. Productivity is the bottom line, the standers are becoming more popular but I have never seen anyone bag with one yet. But who knows where technology will take us next, the sky is the limit.

i'd still dump my catcher 5 times vs. getting a walker and dumping it once.

for the walker to be truely productive for me i'd have to purchase the kit that raises the hopper so i could dump it into my truck bed. i don't know what that kit costs but considering the walker itself cost $12k, i think i'll stick with empting my side catcher for my stander.

plus the only time bagging is heavy for me is in the spring and in the fall. most of the working season i'm side discharging. and no i wouldn't consider purchasing a side discharge deck for the mower either.

for the price of the walker alone i could buy 2 great exmark or toro ztr's. let alone buying the lift kit for the hopper and a second deck.

yes time is money. the walker is the slowest moving mower on the market, as far as i know.

switch the controls from those stupid feather touch things that sit between your legs to levers other ztr's have and drop the price to around $6k and i'll consider the walker as a serious option for me.

flatlander42
09-26-2010, 07:53 PM
yardguy28,

Once you get used to the controls you will wonder who would not like to mow with only one hand. You don't have to do anything till you are ready to turn, why is that horrible? You may have to use them a LITTLE bit to keep straight, but other than that it is sooo easy. I would like to know wth people want to constantly push forward instead of using those "stupid feather touch things".

yardguy28
09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
yardguy28,

Once you get used to the controls you will wonder who would not like to mow with only one hand. You don't have to do anything till you are ready to turn, why is that horrible? You may have to use them a LITTLE bit to keep straight, but other than that it is sooo easy. I would like to know wth people want to constantly push forward instead of using those "stupid feather touch things".

while i do currently push forward because i have a toro grandstand before that i had an exmark tthp. the only time you needed to use the controls was to break or turn. otherwise it was pretty much one handed mowing except a little to keep it straight.

i don't think i will ever want to sit on a mower with controls between my legs all day.

kubotafan
09-26-2010, 08:50 PM
There seams to be a lot of Walker bashing here but I have yet to hear anyone who can offer a different brand of commercial mower that compares in weight to a Walker. Weight is important to me and I want a good cut. What should I be looking at?

By Us Company
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Just put a new JD bagging system on a 60" JD 797. It eats the Walker alive.

yardguy28
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
There seams to be a lot of Walker bashing here but I have yet to hear anyone who can offer a different brand of commercial mower that compares in weight to a Walker. Weight is important to me and I want a good cut. What should I be looking at?

personally i think any other brand is what you should be looking at. scag, toro, exmark, wright stander.

if you want something that delievers a good cut and is similar in weight as a walker i might suggest the exmark navigator........

kubotafan
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Just put a new JD bagging system on a 60" JD 797. It eats the Walker alive.

And how does the weight compare? Your big JD and bagger system will do far more damage to a lawn than the Walker.

jeffscap
09-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Walkers aren't out for a beauty pagen, they are for residential properties,exmarks are good machines for the I want to get done today guys,lets buy a bag system for 3000.00 and we will be in.Exmark Not for groomers or walker waves.

By Us Company
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Dont mow it when its soft ground. We run some 60" 997's and never have issues with weight on any residential or commercial lawn.

jeffscap
09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
personally i think any other brand is what you should be looking at. scag, toro, exmark, wright stander.

if you want something that delievers a good cut and is similar in weight as a walker i might suggest the exmark navigator........

I can tell your still wet behind the ears. Did you ever run a navigator? My guess probably not! Your talkin crap you know nothing about, lets look at you profile 1-5yrs what does that mean your either in business or not. :confused:

flatlander42
09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
If we are talking about guys that actually have expirence with BOTH Walkers and Navigators......There should be Very Few people talking.

yardguy28
09-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I can tell your still wet behind the ears. Did you ever run a navigator? My guess probably not! Your talkin crap you know nothing about, lets look at you profile 1-5yrs what does that mean your either in business or not. :confused:

i'm talking from what i've demo'd, heard and seen.

wet behind the ears i am not. before i got into the business and still yet to this day i've demo'd a good number of brands out there to know what cuts good and what doesn't. IMO any way. and everyone has there own opinion.

i happen to prefer toro and exmark. others like scag or wright stander or bobcat or whatever.

you don't know me or the experince i have so do us all a favor and shut it.......

kilgoja
09-26-2010, 11:43 PM
get rid of the walkers...come to the good side of the force lol

chuacro
12-03-2010, 02:13 AM
I bought my used 2006 walker last year. This was my primary mower this year and I can bag or discharge with the back discharge on the back. I have not tried a Navigator so I can not compare. I would not give up my walker.

lawnboy dan
12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
you dont need a walker just for cleanups-snapper hi vac does the same job

cgaengineer
12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
you dont need a walker just for cleanups-snapper hi vac does the same job

While I agree with you, if its a 25000 sq ft lot you will be there all day with a Snapper.
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
12-03-2010, 08:41 PM

The Buffalo Turbine blower is a good add on tool for cleanups. Love mine....

Jpocket
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I guess it's what kind of application your doing. I've been in business for 35yrs running just about all the latest machines. Were into pretty much grooming a lawn, thats why we like the walkers, again they are not fast but they are efficient mowers for residential turf. The mow and go guys like the speed, and big bags with tubes, that plug when wet. If your charging a little, you got to go fast. If your moderate, it seems that you retain your customer base at a reasonable price.

Exactly. I'm one of the "GO-FAST" guys, but i can def. appreciate what you are saying about the walker. I wish the market could bear it around here.

gene gls
12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

The Walker is a multi-purpose tool, designed for a multitude of conditions and jobs. If you want speed, you don't want a Walker. Its the only mower that I have used that I know I will have compleat control of on a hill. If you can stay on the seat, it will go up or down a hill and not slide.

gene gls
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM

If you buy a mower on looks, you are going to have problems.

lawnboy dan
12-03-2010, 09:16 PM
all day with a snapper ? not so the riding version while a dinosouar does the same job. this is the only job my 33 snapper hi vac rider does. with a gator blade it mulches the leaves to dust. even the job goes faster than you would think with the 21 as it mulches leaves like NO other mower can. all you do is mow over the leaves and they are totally gone. seldom is a second pass needed. this is the fastest and lowest cost leaf cleanup method there is -period

gene gls
12-03-2010, 09:16 PM

In some parts of the country it seams that mulching works fine. Here in the north east the grass grows too fast. I have demoed mulchers and with our grass there is too much to cut off and hide for the lawn to look finished. I'm not about to double mow just to run a mulch deck.

Thiggy
12-05-2010, 02:36 AM

Do you cut the premium lawns each week? If so, wouldn't you want to leave the clippings for oxygen release on the lawn? I would think the clippings should be rather small if cut each week. I have customers that are picky, but if the lawn is cut each week bagging isn't really needed. But, I do understand there are those out there that are anal at times.

lifetree
12-05-2010, 06:47 AM
... You need to have enough business savvy ... Those options should pay for them selves in the first year with proper marketing and management.

Maple Wood -- It sounds like you've got a good business sense ... congratulations on your apparent success in the business !!
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

lifetree
12-05-2010, 06:53 AM
... If I can find a more economical option than the Walker while still providing the quality I need, that frees up $$ that can be used to upgrade current equipment, add new pieces for growth ...

MnLefty -- This is good business sense too ... in MBA terminology it's referred to as "re-allocating your assets to achieve maximum ROI" ... Return On Investment !!

rob640
12-10-2010, 05:39 PM
In my part of Texas it seems like every customer wants their lawn bagged, i don't own a walker but another, larger lco in my town runs 3 trucks/trailers with 2 walkers a peice and maaan those guys are on and off of a property in 20 min with their walkers. I've never owned nor driven one, but from seeing those guys i hope to get one in my line up one day.

12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
i sold my first walker years ago because of how slow it seemed to be and went to all ex-mark mowers with mulching kits added and it seemed i really gained production over the walker mower. but a few season's of constantly mulching some of my zoysia lawns i started getting lawn fungus that was killing my grass and the customers did notice. so i talked to my spray company at the time and he told me that some grasses like Zoysia cant be mulched all the time and will get some grass diseases from the clippings. So i finally replaced the walker mower for these type of lawn and it has brought back the health of the grass.

I really believe that Walker type mowers have a good place in a lawn business "cemetery"and of course you need the speed mowers too, but there is nothing better than being able to bag up a mess when you need to.

Scgentlman1
12-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I operate Scag mowers Wildcats and turf tigers, I use the Clam shell baggers for my fall leaf season. I love these mowers.

kubotafan
08-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I bought my used 2006 walker last year. This was my primary mower this year and I can bag or discharge with the back discharge on the back. I have not tried a Navigator so I can not compare. I would not give up my walker.

When you speak of the back discharge I gather you have the attachment that keeps the door of the GHS partly open so the clippings blow out the back. How does the finished job look?