PDA

View Full Version : The By US Company - Harvest

By Us Company
09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
A small look into our company but mostly focused on our blueberry harvest operation. 7 Tractors, 2 Loaders, 3 18 Wheelers and 25 guys for a long month.

See video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QP-ynthJ0A

gomowdig
09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I enjoyed your video very much. Tomato harvesters clean out everything but does the blueberry harvester pick and allow the plants to produce again. Just trying to understand mechanical vs. hand picking of such a fragile berry. My guess is that the harvester lifts the berry branches and picks/prunes the bushes without excessive damage.

By Us Company
09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
We are in the area where 98% of the worlds wild blueberries are harvested. These are wild bushes which are harvested every other year. On the off year, the bushes are mowed to the ground or burned to promote regrowth for the next harvesting period. We harvest approximately 450 to 500 acres a year in a 4 to 6 week period. There is a very strict pesticide program all fields are on.

gomowdig
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your response; I'll bet that I'm not the only one who just learned something new. My guess missed the mark.

bobcat48
09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice..great fleet

Gatewayuser
09-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Very cool!!! :clapping:

eatonpcat
09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Looks great... Wish it was a longer video instead of a slide show!!

98% is that a correct number???

Awesome equipment! :drinkup:

rcslawncare
09-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing!!

By Us Company
09-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Every year is changes but it is normally in the 95 to 98% range. Like I said, this is for the Wild Blueberry Harvest. Wild bushes dont grow in many other places. Cultivated Bush berries are grown all over the world though.

eatonpcat
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Every year is changes but it is normally in the 95 to 98% range. Like I said, this is for the Wild Blueberry Harvest. Wild bushes dont grow in many other places. Cultivated Bush berries are grown all over the world though.

That's what I thought, just wasn't sure. Around here the bushes are much taller (Apparently cultivated).
You have a great setup, thanks for the pictures!! :waving:

mowerbrad
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
The county I live in, in michigan, produces the largest harvest of blueberries each year in the whole state. My uncle has a small blueberry farm (about 10 acres) and there are tons of other large blueberry farms around me, thousands of acres in total.

I've been around the blueberry farms enough to get an idea of what goes on. Now we don't grow the wild blueberry bushes like you guys have. Our plants here, take years to fully mature and be ready to be picked by machine. The machines that we use here basically shake the plants to get them to drop the berries. Then by having small blowers mounted on the machine, they will blow most of the leaves off of the harvest before all the berries go into cases. Its actually a pretty cool process when you watch it being done.

Very interesting video!!!

Jelinek61
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Awesome video. You have some nice equipment, I like the big deere tractors and the 906 loader. Lets see some pics of you equipment on here. I didnt realize blueberries could be grown like this. Around here they are all on 4 to 6' tall bushes.

By Us Company
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM
As mentioned, these are wild bushes. No one has grown these. We just maintain the fields all year around to be able to harvest berries off of them every other year. Maintenance programs including mowing, burning, weed wiping and treatments for other plants, insects, etc. Also a pollination program by bee hives typically within the month or two before the harvest.