PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading this right???

Gatewayuser
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Ohio has a new law requiring a million things if the GVWR is over 10,001 pounds. My Ford is 9,900 GVWR. Now they can't included a trailer in there and make it over, correct? That would be the GVCW?

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=10148

CLARK LAWN
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
ya i'll bet the trailer will be included. now the real question is are they going to enforce it on everyone or like everything else this stupid a$$ state does and only enforce it on those who are trying to be legal.

rcslawncare
09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Man, thats a crazy list. I don't know how there gonna tell someone they cant have a lawn care business in that category because he is Diabetic and needs insulin... Thats really terrible.

360ci
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
People and their crazy ideas. Perhaps Ohio should have a health care plan of its own....

CLARK LAWN
09-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Man, thats a crazy list. I don't know how there gonna tell someone they cant have a lawn care business in that category because he is Diabetic and needs insulin... Thats really terrible.

could be that they are tired of incedents like i saw today. i diabetic LCO driving down the road and his sugar dropped and he blacked out and slammed into a car and sent 4 people to the hospital.

360ci
09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
could be that they are tired of incedents like i saw today. i diabetic LCO driving down the road and his sugar dropped and he blacked out and slammed into a car and sent 4 people to the hospital.

That's true. They should do mandatory health exams even once a year. Most diabetics are decent at keeping their sugars checked, but there are a few that have to spoil it for the others! By doing a health exam on people that are more at risk behind the wheel most monitors can be downloaded these days to check that a said individual is keeping a close watch on him/herself. If their not consistent, revoke their license, simple as that. Only responsible folks should be allowed to drive anyway, and by taking a few thousand high rick persons off the road is a good start.

rcslawncare
09-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Well when you or someone you know falls into that category, we will see how your perception changes... Accidents happen, and other non medical related crashes like distracted drivers are far more common.

360ci
09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Well when you or someone you know falls into that category, we will see how your perception changes... Accidents happen, and other non medical related crashes like distracted drivers are far more common.

I agree. They should have licenses for:

- cyclists (go on and off the road, confusing us drivers while running red lights)
- pedestrians (people don't look when they cross half the time, they don't value their own life anymore)
- cell phone use (self explanatory)

OhioBobcat125
09-27-2010, 01:04 AM
WOW, this is ridiculous...is it saying that you have to have a seperate license to drive trucks between 10001 and 26000 lbs?

Maybe if the state of ohio would focus on the $8 billion budget deficit and leave us landscapers alone? Just a thought as crazy as it may sound.

John from OH
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
This isn't anything new. These are Federal regulations that went into effect a few years ago. Ohio didn't not enforce the rules, but now the feds are requiring Ohio to join in the "fun" or lose highway safety funding. Most of the other states have already adopted these rules. I don't care for them but we have 3 months to get ready. Get your trucks and trailers inspected, get all the new paper work for hiring and for existing employees done, get your medical cards, your PUCO/ DOT numbers, make sure your insurance meets the new requirements, and fill your bank account ( you will be paying sooner or later). They will be inspecting and fining. This is a new source of revenue and we are providing it. Do what you can to minimze your contributions. Let your fellow contractors in other industries know about these changes to so they can get prepared as well.

The 10001 - 26000 includes towed units such as trailers, wood chippers, etc. An F150 with a tandem trailer will put you over the 10001 threshold. If you don't pull trailers and your truck is under, don't kid yourself. Go rent a piece of equipment one a trailer for 1 day and you are now in need of complying.

Watch your loads when plowing snow. I have an F350 4wd. 11200 GVW. The truck weighs around 9000. A snow plow and V-box add about 1800 so I'm at 10800. That gives me a whopping 400lbs of pay load. A person in the passenger seat, a few bags of sidewalk salt, and I'm at my limit with an empty V-box. How much inspection and scaling will go on during a snow storm is any one's guess, but they will at some point be checking.

Good Luck!

Gatewayuser
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Guess I won't be using my trucks anymore....time to break out the CJ-5 lol. :weightlifter: It will cost a small fortune to keep up with their rules. Screw them I'll de-logo my truck, stop wearing business shirts and just become a scrub...then I will start cashing all my checks. I'm not mowing for money just going to mow grannies lawn, yeah that's what I'll tell them. :hammerhead:

GravelyNut
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Ohio is being forced into compliance. Watch for other states to also be forced into it by the Feds. And watch for a lawsuit sooner or later against the Feds as this does not involve Interstate Commerce. Only Intrastate Commerce is involved if the truck stays inside Ohio. I expect Florida to do it soon as they already wrote in an 18K rule.

Puddle of Oil
09-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Well now I'm confused! I have 250 with a gvwr of 8800 lbs. thats the most amount of weight my truck can handle, right? I think the curb weight is about 6k, and only 10-15% of the trailers weight is on the truck! so it sounds to me like guys with 450/4500 on up are required to do so!? John from oh and his 150 example through me off!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Well now I'm confused! I have 250 with a gvwr of 8800 lbs. thats the most amount of weight my truck can handle, right? I think the curb weight is about 6k, and only 10-15% of the trailers weight is on the truck! so it sounds to me like guys with 450/4500 on up are required to do so!? John from oh and his 150 example through me off!
Posted via Mobile Device

See that's what I thought, if it includes your trailer then that would make it GCVW not GVWR and it says GVWR. My F-350 has a 9,900 GVWR but as soon as I hook up my landscape trailer it's 16,900 GCVW.

I will call them today and find out what the law really is. :confused:

John from OH
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

It's the gross combination weight. Look at the factory sticker on the drivers door jam of your truck. It appears yours is 8800lbs. Now, add the GVW from any trailer you will be towing. Most tandem axle mow trailers are 7000lbs. That gives you a total of 15800lbs amd you have to comply. This is where many are going to get caught and the fines will be painful.

As far as I know, even though the state DMV has a list of all commercial vehicles registered in Ohio, you will not find out about this rule change from them. They are looking to catch people unaware so they can fine you. This is just another tax grab.

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
It's the gross combination weight. Look at the factory sticker on the drivers door jam of your truck. It appears yours is 8800lbs. Now, add the GVW from any trailer you will be towing. Most tandem axle mow trailers are 7000lbs. That gives you a total of 15800lbs amd you have to comply. This is where many are going to get caught and the fines will be painful.

As far as I know, even though the state DMV has a list of all commercial vehicles registered in Ohio, you will not find out about this rule change from them. They are looking to catch people unaware so they can fine you. This is just another tax grab.

I think you may be wrong. It says nothing in the law about combined weight (GCVW) only GVWR. If you got your info from ONLA without looking at the law their e-mail was incorrect. (it said GVW) I have contacted PUCO and am waiting to hear back, I will post back as soon as I find out.

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Bad news, here's the e-mail from PUCO

The definition of Commercial Motor Vehicle is:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

This includes vehicle with a GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more.

Additional information is available at http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=10148

Puddle of Oil
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Bad news, here's the e-mail from PUCO

The definition of Commercial Motor Vehicle is:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

This includes vehicle with a GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more.

Additional information is available at http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=10148

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:
well it also says "vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce", so i could use it on residential streets and still be legal!:laugh:

this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard! its like working for my former employer all over again with ridicules laws/rules!

John from OH
09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't want to bum you out, but read their definition of "highway". There's no escaping. lol

Best thing to do is start making plans to comply and do the best you can. I'm hoping that the ONLA will have some type of seminars or web casts on the new rules to help clear up confusion.

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't want to bum you out, but read their definition of "highway". There's no escaping. lol

Best thing to do is start making plans to comply and do the best you can. I'm hoping that the ONLA will have some type of seminars or web casts on the new rules to help clear up confusion.

I agree I know their e-mail said they would update...guess they will Jan 1st. :laugh:

John from OH
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I talked to the ONLA office this afternoon and it doesn't look good. They are not getting any answers from PUCO right now.

Darryl G
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
It's an easy soultion. Just install a remote hitch release on your trailer so if you're pulling your trailer and see a cop you can just hit a button and seperate if from your truck and make off it isn't yours.

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
It's an easy soultion. Just install a remote hitch release on your trailer so if you're pulling your trailer and see a cop you can just hit a button and seperate if from your truck and make off it isn't yours.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Little Jame Bond action lol thats great! Thanks for the laugh I needed that!

Gatewayuser
09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I talked to the ONLA office this afternoon and it doesn't look good. They are not getting any answers from PUCO right now.

PUCO probably doesn't even know whats going on either. Let us know if you hear anything.

John from OH
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Will do.

The big problem I see is that the rules were primarily written for the trucking industry where the job is to more or less strickly drive the truck all day long. Now they are trying to shoe horn other industries into the same mold, but where driving is an incidental occurance rather than the occupation.

My concerns for example, by PUCO's web page, we have to pass a driving certification test every 3 years. No word on what is on the test, who administers the test, and why those driving in the 10001-26001 class are required to have this test, but not those with CDLs.

When I hire someone to push a wheel barrow or use a mower and they might have to drive at some point, I have to hire them based on them being a qualifed driver and from what several of us have read, that means pretty much everything you would need to meet the requirements of driving a semi, minus the CDL.

Hours of service are another headache. For example, we head out at 4AM to salt and finish at 8AM. Late afternoon we get a band of lake effect. We go out at 4PM, and have to finish by 8PM or we are out of time (no 10 hours continous off duty?). We can't go out the next morning until 6AM (10 hours of continuous off duty following 12 hours on duty or does the 8 hours off during the day count for something?)

We can't get clarifiaction of the following - a crew leaves the shop at 8AM. Drives for 15 minutes to a job. Works at the same site all day and puts in a 12 hour day. Would the driver be over the 12 hour rule even though they didn't drive other than the 15 minutes in the AM?

OhioBobcat125
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok, John...I have a Class A CDL so does that mean that I dont have to worry about this?

bob1usa
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
could be that they are tired of incedents like i saw today. i diabetic LCO driving down the road and his sugar dropped and he blacked out and slammed into a car and sent 4 people to the hospital.Watch what u wish for diabeties might get you.
\

Drew Gemma
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
WTF! I am gonna sell my landscaping business and become a truck driver if I gotta go through all that with 4 different trucks and 2 trailers we won't have time to do work we'll be maintaining fleet records. If anyone finds out anything or has a good break down related to our industry let me know after reading that I don't know what to think.

Drew Gemma
09-28-2010, 11:40 PM
i just read that if you stay within 150 miles from base you don't need a log! What are these inspections that is gonna kill me getting all these trucks inspected each year sorry freakin out right now more money

JPsDuramax
09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Alright guys, don't panic. It's not as bad as you think. Here in Georgia, there is a similar law on the books that's has been in affect for quite a while, but wasn't enforced until recently. A local jurisdiction is where I first heard of it a couple years ago. Luckily they didn't cite me, but a buddy of mine did. When I first saw all these rules, i had the same response. Now that I have been doing it for a couple years, it's fairly easy. The annual vehicle inspections is just to make sure there are no major issues ( tires, brakes, lights, wipers, underbody, etc). Medical cards are as easy as going to your regular doctor and there are exceptions for diabetics. The logs and hours can be the trickiest things. Just attempt to follow those rules. Most officers don't understand the laws completely.

It is agravating but it's not that bad. Sure it's one more way to get in your pocket, but what can you do other than vote for change in November.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gatewayuser
09-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Alright guys, don't panic. It's not as bad as you think. Here in Georgia, there is a similar law on the books that's has been in affect for quite a while, but wasn't enforced until recently. A local jurisdiction is where I first heard of it a couple years ago. Luckily they didn't cite me, but a buddy of mine did. When I first saw all these rules, i had the same response. Now that I have been doing it for a couple years, it's fairly easy. The annual vehicle inspections is just to make sure there are no major issues ( tires, brakes, lights, wipers, underbody, etc). Medical cards are as easy as going to your regular doctor and there are exceptions for diabetics. The logs and hours can be the trickiest things. Just attempt to follow those rules. Most officers don't understand the laws completely.

It is agravating but it's not that bad. Sure it's one more way to get in your pocket, but what can you do other than vote for change in November.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's just hard to have another thing added to our plates here. It's already expensive enough to have a company being one of the highest taxed states.

Gatewayuser
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
New Jersey residents paid 11.8%, topping the charts. New Yorkers were close behind, paying 11.7%, and Connecticut was third at 11.1%. The top 10 were rounded out by Maryland (10.8%), Hawaii (10.6%), California (10.5%), Ohio (10.4%). Vermont (10.3%), Wisconsin (10.2%) and Rhode Island (10.2%).

JB1
09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
we got some warnings and a ticket for no medical card a few years ago. The DOT kept sent me papers to sign that we took care of it, as for the ticket, I was talking to the prosecutor about it and he couldn't believe we had to do all that.

JPsDuramax
09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
It's just hard to have another thing added to our plates here. It's already expensive enough to have a company being one of the highest taxed states.

I understand. It sucks but it's part of business now of days. You can always move to
one of the tax havens like Texas or Tennessee. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gatewayuser
09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I understand. It sucks but it's part of business now of days. You can always move to
one of the tax havens like Texas or Tennessee. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very, very tempted!

John from OH
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I think you should be set. If you have employees, you may have some things to do. My concerns are more with all the record keeping and the Road Test that we can't get any answers on.