PDA

View Full Version : Going Full Time!

JoeHop6299
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
For the last five years I've been working for a company at nights and doing landscaping during the days. The last two years have been super busy on the landscaping side. I was at a breaking point of having to make a choice,than I found out I will be laid off after Jan.31 2011. I think this is the time to make a run for it.

I'm making the same amount of $$$ at each one, but will loose the Insurance. That is the only drawback I see.

JoeHop6299
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone else made this jump recently?

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Congratulations, and good luck! I'm going to keep my job until it is no more (the newspaper industry is going down the tubes), which could be any time, or it may last another ten years (I don't see that happening). I have insurance with my job, but have never used it, so that's not really a concern. Mainly I like the steady paycheck (I'm on salary) and, since I've been there so long, the ease of the work. Plus, it allows me plenty of free time to go mow.

BUT..........hardly a day goes by that I don't think about going full time with this, and what life would be like if I did. Someday I'll do it.

buttaluv
09-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm going in 2011, been doing it for 10 years part-time...as my wife says "Sh** or get off the pot"

MOturkey
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I took my retirement and switched from part time to full time this year. I have my pension income which covers our basic living expenses. I'm not sure I'd ever go full time without some type of other income, but I'm a "mowing only" business, which doesn't have the year around earning potential like landscaping.

Regarding insurance. Doesn't matter if you ever use it or not. Don't do without it, even if you have to buy a high deductible policy. One illness or injury can wipe you out financially to the point it will take years to recover, if you ever do.

rollinrock
09-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I would recommend a local business class. Check out the BBB. Or SCORE. Get an understanding in how to market your services. And how to keep customers happy and recommending you to others. (Hint: it is your job to make this easy for them. Set
up a system.)

A little tip on insurance . . . Being you are our own boss you have to pay the taxes. So
hire your wife part-time. Then insure you under your company. After you do this you can be listed as her spouse and the insurance should cover you too. Make sure to check the fineprint to make sure you are covered.

I would set up goal of how much I needed to make to support myself. What are your monthly living expenses? Add them up.

Then calculate how many jobs you need per month to cover that amount. Maybe add an extra job or two to be on the safe side.

Next, calculate how many people you need to talk to get that many jobs.

It doesn't really need to be any harder than that.