PDA

View Full Version : I think I went to far with my sales pitch, have email

soloscaperman
09-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Well I email him saying you owe me for two weeks then added something at the bottom of the email. I wrote since it was a rough season with the drought I am looking for side work and will knock off a certain percentage. It had to do with the playground. Here is the part of the email:

P.S. If you want a Free estimate on changing the playground set into a mulch are let me know. I feel bad using the weed wacker and scratching the wood but it was there with the other landscaping company as well. The main reason to change that is because for the health for the kids. I try to blow all the grass clippings on the playground set so it doesn't go on the kids hands or shoes. Studies show the chemicals are probably harmless but then some people say it can cause Autism and other health concerns as well. Not scaring you guys but make sure the kids are not eating on that table unless your sure it's clean. I even blow off the swing set as well :-)

My customer wrote:

If I listen to you I would have to pave the whole lawn James.

Check is on the grill.

Give me a price on hedge trimming like you stated in the email.

I really want the job guys and there kids are 3 and 5. I read how chemicals may affect the kids and this guy over treats that part of the lawn for some reason! I care also about the kids and I think I went to far.The guy who sprays this huge playground set sprays on the tables and the mist goes on the swings and the residue feels weird. The grass around the area is always dark green and 6 inches high every time while the rest of the lawn really isn't. What if the kids get sick the doctors are going to blame the landscaper and say that he prolly never cleaned the area just shot grass with the mower and the weed wacker. Tip for you guys is to not email a customer late at night.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
What does that even say?

billslawn89
09-24-2010, 07:31 PM
just spray roundup around the wood and you won't mess it up with the string trimmer.

cpel2004
09-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah you could have worded that much differently than you did. In my opinion you come across trying to separate yourself as being different (better) but too me based upon your wording you sound like a desperate novice. Your probably a terrific guy but its just
my .02!

Furthermore if you check most homeowners have far more dangerous chemicals stored in their homes and garages than the spray man. Out of curiosity, do you even know what the chemical guy sprays... Let me guess you read the labels...

soloscaperman
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
The roundup would look bad. You have to see this play ground it's got so many angles and seems to be made from pine lol.This thing is huge and just doesn't seem smart to have it layed over this over treated lawn. Not matter how much I weed wack under the table and bench where the kids feet rest it grows a foot every week!

You were right I kind of sounded desperate for the job. Just irks me he is the only lawn like this. He has a huge lawn and the back is very plain. If there was some nice rail road ties stacked up double then mulch treated or not with some grass shrubs on the outer border it would look so nice.

ShooterK2
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Sounds like he just isn't worried about it. Lots of folks aren't. I'd just forget about it and move on.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
solo, scare tactics is in no way the way to generate new business. And that is how I read your P.S.. I have 5 kids and care a lot about them and all my customers kids, and I also spray lawns, but unless your customer is spraying his kids down with the chemicals while they are on the swing set, they have a better chance of being injured in a car accident, and I'm sure your not lecturing him on his driving. Sell yourself and your services and leave your opinions at home unless the customers asks you for it, then hammer away.

Good Luck,
James

cpel2004
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey in all fairness to you , we live and we learn. One thing I have learned is that every customer have their own minimal acceptable standard, ie some people want their yard to be perfect, some want you to show on the same day every week, some just want you to just show up. Learn your customers needs and it will save you more time, and you can use that time to go and sale to the customers that want to be sold stuff! Not every customer is going to demand the very best of service nor should they!

CLS LLC
09-24-2010, 10:45 PM
The roundup would look bad. You have to see this play ground it's got so many angles and seems to be made from pine lol.This thing is huge and just doesn't seem smart to have it layed over this over treated lawn. Not matter how much I weed wack under the table and bench where the kids feet rest it grows a foot every week!

You were right I kind of sounded desperate for the job. Just irks me he is the only lawn like this. He has a huge lawn and the back is very plain. If there was some nice rail road ties stacked up double then mulch treated or not with some grass shrubs on the outer border it would look so nice.

So you to avoid the chemicals on the lawn you want to surround the play set with creosote soaked rail road ties. No health risks there.

Southern Pride
09-24-2010, 11:21 PM
I know it sounds weird but to me when you have a guy (salesman) that will involve your kids and about how he doesn't want them to become retarted unless he gets the job for a customer (well anyone with a thought process) it comes off as a red flag. The customer just sounds laid back and not worried about it or he just hates his kids lol

You sound like a really nice guy though, but I think as a salesman, the worst thing you can ever do is come across desperate. Just want to make things convenient and simple for le customer.
All just my opinion though.

44DCNF
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
The play set is probably loaded with arsenic anyway. I would have not mentioned anything, I don't think. I realize you are trying to cya, but you may have inadvertantly left yourself open by doing so. On the plus side the turf sounds thick enough to cushion their falls. That is probably his greater concern, and that it does not get worn thin by traffic. Don't sweat it. He does not sound irritated by your concern.

Express your real concern if you don't feel comfortable leaving it as it is. Let him know you're real worry is the damage to the wood. If this is a new addition since pricing the job, ask if it would be ok to raise the price a couple bucks so you can take the time to hand trim with shears around the supports rather than risk gouging the wood. He may say he is not concerned about marks on the wood, and that he understands it can't always be avoided. You just approached it from a different angle that he could not grasp very well.

If it were me designing these things they would have replaceable protective sleeves that wrap the wood to about 6 inches up, recessed so there is no danger of the kids being hurt by them.

soloscaperman
09-25-2010, 12:37 AM
I was tired that night and I didn't know how to approach that situation. I only known him for about 5 months and it's hard to approach someone that is busy and is very laid back. Out of all my customers he is the most difficult. He owns his own business and has that bossy approach but then is very laid back. We had a problem one time when he wanted bags of mulch and I recommended bulk mulch that I get for all my customers at the nursery. I told him your going to be paying 3 times as much and he didn't want to listen. I looked at the job and told him X amount of bags and he disagreed and said X amount. At the end I was off by 2 bags which the total was 73 versus what he said which was 30 lol. He acted funny when he realized I was right. I was surprised he didn't act funny when I asked him about a Free estimate on the bushes on that email.

I did a lot of sales and I was trained to approach people bluntly. Working in Bestbuy, staples, and Lexmark it's a dirty job. I remember my sales manager's telling me to go to the extreme and pushing the envelope in certain situations and I guess the instant reflex came out of me.

ALC-GregH
09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Nothing worse then a pushy salesman.

yardguy28
09-25-2010, 09:53 AM
its not your job to care about the kids. your there to do a job. do what your hired to do and leave it at that. use the normal reasons when selling services, like that will make the place looks nice and sharp, or this will thicken up the grass giving it a more full look, or whatever.

wrtenterprises
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
How about this --- You continue to cut the grass, don't speculate what the weed control service is applying and it's danger, and most of all, give this guy a price on the hedge trimming!!

rollinrock
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Maybe you could try using this on the customers . . .

Jump on the internet and find an article about how an incident like this has affected kids.

Then casually mention how you let your kids play at the local park then you read this
article about how these chemicals can get into your kids skin.

Then mention if you were taking care of the park next to you here is how you would
take care of it and make it safe for kids.

Basically what you are trying to do is put a doubt in the owners head that
the service they are using is not adequate.

A psycological warfare.