PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Plants Needed!!!

Phishook
08-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Need a row of bushes, trees, or something for a semi-shaddy area, in a verry sandy soil with little maint. Going to be used for privacy form neiborghs dogs. She asked for red twig dogwoods, any other suggestions?

Northern Indiana, zone 5, accross the road from a lake. The area is about 50' long and is between 10 to 20' wide.

Thanks, my books are a little dusty.

KenH
08-12-2002, 03:04 PM
If Deer arent a problem, how about a type of Arb??? IMO, Red Twigs are pretty leggy, plus they will offer no winter protection.

joshua
08-12-2002, 05:38 PM
i would have to agree with kenh, if you want winter privacy red stem dogwoods won't give you the privacy, you would want something evergreen, like arbavitees or eastern white pine.

AL Inc
08-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Phishook- We've been using skip laurel (Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis') for shady areas. They are evergreen so they will give privacy in winter. I started using these instead of rhody maximums- much nicer shape and foliage. I believe they will get to 8-10' tall and don't require much maintenance. I hope this helps. Mike

Atlantic Lawn
08-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Russian Olives work great here in the sand and salt of coastal NC. Not sure how they'd work there, but they sure grow fast in this part of the country.

lawnstudent
08-13-2002, 06:17 PM
Are red twig dogwoods the same as red osier dogwoods? My neighbor has planted red osier dogwoods on the property line and I wouldn't wish these on my worse enemy! They sucker profusely and produce lots of dead wood. Though easy to grow, this is a high maintenance shrub.

jim

lawnstudent
08-13-2002, 06:28 PM
Have you considered viburnums? Many are native to this area. They need little care, are sutible for woodland (partly shady) garden, have showy flowers in spring, good fall color, and can be grown in moderate fertile, well drained soils. Some viburnams are evergreen.

jim

AGLA
08-13-2002, 07:29 PM
I'd say Canadian Hemlock if wooly aldegid (sp.?) is not a problem in your area. That Cherry Laurel (AL Inc's post) is a great plant. Mountain Laurel is also good. Arborvitaes are not going to thrive in lower light. Stick to broadleaf evergreens in low light if you need year 'round screening.

Phishook
08-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I'll post a picture when it's complete. Probably won't do this one untill Sept.-Oct.

She really like the picts I showed of the Skip laurel. Changing it from a simple row, to more of a design with a few diffrent plants.