PDA

View Full Version : Lost check have you? What have you done?

deere615
09-24-2010, 09:06 PM
So I hate to say this because I am always good at keeping things in order. Over my past few years in this business I have lost 2 checks one was during the big snow storm this past winter when at any given time I had like 20 checks in my pocket.

And just the other day I lost one, well not really it went though the wash:cry:.

So what do you guys do the first one I called the client told them I had lost it and said not need to write another and just took the $35 loss it was for a driveway, I didn't want to bother them to write another. This last one was for $85. So I am asking have you guys lost any checks before and what should I do about this one tell them not to worry about it? Yhey have no need to put as stop payment as I have it its just in 1000 tiny pieces.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Call them, tell them it went through the washer and ask for another. If you have pieces of the washed check, return that to them.
I misplaced a $100 check for an irrigation winterize last fall. I looked for it for a week. When it never turned up I called and asked for a replacement and they gladly wrote a new one. This spring while I was detailing the truck, I found it between the seats.

James

lawnman_scott
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
This seems so obvious to me. Only someone who hates you wouldn't replace a check in that instance.

deere615
09-25-2010, 12:01 AM
yeah I think thats what I will do is just call them they really like me so it wont be a problem I just hate to bother people I guess

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
yeah I think thats what I will do is just call them they really like me so it wont be a problem I just hate to bother people I guess
I don't want to bother people either, but I'm not going to do it for free either.

James

FLAhaulboy
09-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I "misplaced" a check for $247.00 last week. First time this has happened. Next time the client calls me over, I'll write something up in the next bill to him stating I lost it, sign it, & there should be no prob for him to write me another. There is no way anyone could ever try and cash the check w/o proper ID, in FL they want at least (2) forms of ID and a finger print.

I'm sure your client will write you another if you ask.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-25-2010, 11:25 PM
I would ask for another one, but I would offer to pay the difference if the lost check is ever found and cashed. Unless it was a lot of money I would just eat the difference, because asking a customer to write another check does not look professional.

I started keeping a bank bag in my truck with a deposit book in it, and when I get checks from customers I put them in the bag so I won't lose them.

deere615
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't want to bother people either, but I'm not going to do it for free either.

James

I "misplaced" a check for $247.00 last week. First time this has happened. Next time the client calls me over, I'll write something up in the next bill to him stating I lost it, sign it, & there should be no prob for him to write me another. There is no way anyone could ever try and cash the check w/o proper ID, in FL they want at least (2) forms of ID and a finger print.

I'm sure your client will write you another if you ask.
yeah Thats proabably what I will do this time
I would ask for another one, but I would offer to pay the difference if the lost check is ever found and cashed. Unless it was a lot of money I would just eat the difference, because asking a customer to write another check does not look professional.

I started keeping a bank bag in my truck with a deposit book in it, and when I get checks from customers I put them in the bag so I won't lose them.

well like I said this time the check is found but in tiny pieces. yes thats another reason it bothers me is looking unprofessional, everwhere I go and everything I do is about professionalism

Kennedy Landscaping
09-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Brad, just now saw this thread, I've done it too so don't feel bad. One thing I try to be really good about is I have a magic clipboard that pretty much never leaves my side. If I leave the house it goes with me. When a customer pays me I stop what I'm doing and take the check straight to the truck and put it in the clipboard. I don't leave them in my pockets anymore, during snowstorms they would be soaked, and same in the summer.

TheC-Master
09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
I almost never take checks, I hate them. I use autopay. I had one two weeks ago I lost for $120. I called him that day. I don't know why everyone thinks checks are totally safe and you can wait forever before notifying; your name, routing number, and checking number is on them, and often the address and phone number. Let them know so they can cancel it which they usually do. I could use that information and do things online with it. Be careful guys.

deere615
09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Brad, just now saw this thread, I've done it too so don't feel bad. One thing I try to be really good about is I have a magic clipboard that pretty much never leaves my side. If I leave the house it goes with me. When a customer pays me I stop what I'm doing and take the check straight to the truck and put it in the clipboard. I don't leave them in my pockets anymore, during snowstorms they would be soaked, and same in the summer.

Oh yeah I got a clipboard too and like you said it goes everywhere with me its got an inside to that I keep all my bills insurance info and all kinds of otherstuff plus there is a notepad on the front I use to write info down and usally the check gets clipped to it but sometimes they go in my pockets too

But anyways i got this one settled monday they wrote a new check no problem

LouisianaLawnboy
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Are y'all taking about one of those metal contractor clipboards.
Posted via Mobile Device

deere615
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Are y'all taking about one of those metal contractor clipboards.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah mines an aluminum one its real nice