PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 causing problems..

fastpine
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
..We have been using wd-40 on the hedge trimmer blades to keep them clean and running smooth.

I just had a customer call saying his Junipers we trimed had quite a fiew brown spots on them and it looked like an oil or gas stain( im pretty sure it was the wd-40). This was a high paying job with one of my best customers, I have got to find a way to make this right..

What would be the best course of action?

What should I tell the homeowner?

Should I discontinue the use of wd-40?

Thank you for any responses:waving:

StihlMechanic
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Use stihl hedge trimmer antiresin spray

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
How about using Pam or a dry lubricant. I have always used whatever I have laying around, motor oil, gear oil, WD-40, spit...

44DCNF
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Fluid Film!

1993lx172
09-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Fluid Film!

X2 Fluid Film rocks!

StihlMechanic
09-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Fluid Film!

thats actually some good stuff, suprised.

44DCNF
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I wasn't aware stihl had a product, but I imagine it works equally well also.

44DCNF
09-24-2010, 10:53 PM
As for a recovery action, I'd be inclined to spray the hedge or shrubs with some seaweed extract. If possible a light trim again to remove some of the staining or dieoff may help. If no room for that then maybe just the seaweed and and a little extra attention over the next few weeks.

If it was during extreme heat or dry period, that may also have contributed to it and it might help to tell the customer that.

I would switch from WD-40 to a safer product. Running the trimmer at high speed before actually trimming to throw off any excess lube might also help. I have not noticed a problem with FF when it gets on grass from a mower unless it is right after a heavy application upon start up of the blades. I have seen once or twice, that area has been prone to rust (the grass disease rust) before others. My thinking on that too, was that it was more a result of suffocation during high heat and drought rather than a result of the product itself. It is generally claimed to be very safe for plants.

integrityman
09-24-2010, 11:24 PM
pam, olive oil, Ive used a variety of aerosol food oil sprays with no problems. I find vegie oil has great staying power though...

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
pam, olive oil, Ive used a variety of aerosol food oil sprays with no problems. I find vegie oil has great staying power though...

Glad the pam was tried by you and seems to work...the nice thing is its cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
09-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I would discontinue the use of Wd-40. Switch to Fluid Film. It won't be too expensive. It's great as a lubricant as well as prevents rust and has millions of other uses.

fastpine
09-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Do you guys think the wd-40 caused the junipers to have the brown spots?

soloscaperman
09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
I use tire shine. Shines up the bushes as well ;-)

wurkn with amish
09-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I dont think WD-40 is your problem. Its made from fish oil. What type of trimmer are you using? If its a stihl, then it would be the oil spitting out the exhaust onto your blades. Also i've seen if your blades get hot and or casing underneath they will burn bushes if touching too long.
Plus junipers are notorious for getting brown spots.

Stillwater
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
..We have been using wd-40 on the hedge trimmer blades to keep them clean and running smooth.

I just had a customer call saying his Junipers we trimed had quite a fiew brown spots on them and it looked like an oil or gas stain( im pretty sure it was the wd-40). This was a high paying job with one of my best customers, I have got to find a way to make this right..

What would be the best course of action?

What should I tell the homeowner?

Should I discontinue the use of wd-40?

Thank you for any responses:waving:

WD can burn, you should be using fluid film and 90% isopropl to disinfect blades between jobs or after trimming diseased plant material

MR-G
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
A number of factors will cause junipers to brown out...read up online about the specifics of juniper..more than likely its not the wd40....ive been using it for 20+ years and have never had this type of problem....the exhaust could very well be the culprit...those particular trimmers have a poor set up on the pipe in my opinion....that is if they are the stihl trimmers.

rockycrab
09-25-2010, 06:06 PM
We use only Stihl extended trimmers, We lubricate the wd40. The problem for us is keeping the blades sharp, I think more truley the problem is keeping them properly gapped. Seems like when the dirt, grime and sap build up between the blades, you are going to get a burn, or really a shred appeareance on things like Juniper, Arborvitae, BOXWOODS, and Cotoneaster. I am more interested in finding a solvent that could keep the blades from building up that layer of gunk between them, and then keeping them lubricated so that they do not build up to much heat.

soloscaperman
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
We use only Stihl extended trimmers, We lubricate the wd40. The problem for us is keeping the blades sharp, I think more truley the problem is keeping them properly gapped. Seems like when the dirt, grime and sap build up between the blades, you are going to get a burn, or really a shred appeareance on things like Juniper, Arborvitae, BOXWOODS, and Cotoneaster. I am more interested in finding a solvent that could keep the blades from building up that layer of gunk between them, and then keeping them lubricated so that they do not build up to much heat.

Wouldn't an air can work well on the job?

Str8Liner
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Gotta vote for the Pam, its enviro safe and smells pleasant as it burns off the blades hahaha. But it is great, and the homeowners always seem to think its silly sitting among all your gear, but when they hear thats its safe for the plants it makes you look green-concious.

terrapro
09-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Bar soap like Ivory or veggie oil.

FLAhaulboy
09-25-2010, 09:04 PM

I use WD 40 on my Kombi hedgers and have never encountered such a problem. I say no but really, who knows(?) I will continue to use the WD.

mowerdude777
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I would discontinue the use of Wd-40. Switch to Fluid Film. It won't be too expensive. It's great as a lubricant as well as prevents rust and has millions of other uses.

I could not have said it better :) you can even get a free sample just ask Dano50 or JoyofFluidFilm

Think Green
09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Fastpine,
Check all the usual working parts around the bar and blades. I use the Echo brand of trimmers, but it has come to pass that the gear lube leaks from around the seal. Check the bolts on the gear casing to see if any is missing or lose. Leaking gear lube isn't good on foliage. WD-40 on the blades is what we have used for years along with simple pam or commercial non stick baking spray. If these things aren't tampered or broken on your trimmer, then check for fuel leaks from the gas lid or fuel lines.

What type of Juniper's are we talking about here.????????? I have done a few where CO2 from the exhaust scorched some tips. There has been instances where dull blades will pinch and scar juniper's. Alot of things to consider here!!!

fastpine
09-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Im trying to post up some pics I took on my phone. Its super weird,,the spots look like small patches like the size of a TV remote controll..I checked another propperty where I did junipers and found the same brown splotches....

I would think if it was thw WD-40 on the blades it would be leaving blade(2')size spots,,but No, these are random in placement and shape. All smaller that my trimmer blades.

Im 99% sure we had the gas lids on tight, and the trimmers areent leaking anything...????

cgaengineer
09-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Check for spider mites, had a property I sprayed that a week later 2 alberta spruce started turning brown...a closer look and it was spider mites...I sprayed with a bifen product but they are gone, I don't think they are coming back.

I first thought it could have been Round Up drift but I was extremely careful around them. Had this been a customer other than my parents I would have probably replaced them (my parents actually found the mites).
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Spider mites http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/1998/030998.html

These alberta spruce turned brown at the very top first (the first hint that it wasn't drift) and within a few days they were entirely brown.

Let me see if I can round up the pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunsnroses
09-30-2010, 07:37 AM
I dont cut junipers with hedge trimmers, by hand is much better. Check the branch and see if it is split. Hedge trimmers split some branches as they crush the tip of that sappy branch, then dieback. Once you get the shell canopy established of the juniper plant, you can never cut past or deeper in the shell. Feather prune by starting from the top-down. Cut each branch hiding each cut in the foliage. My .02. Depending on type of juniper, could be a blight...

Mark Oomkes
09-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Yes

I dont cut junipers with hedge trimmers, by hand is much better. Check the branch and see if it is split. Hedge trimmers split some branches as they crush the tip of that sappy branch, then dieback. Once you get the shell canopy established of the juniper plant, you can never cut past or deeper in the shell. Feather prune by starting from the top-down. Cut each branch hiding each cut in the foliage. My .02. Depending on type of juniper, could be a blight...

Thank goodness. Bless you my son.

Call me a plant snob, but what in the world are you doing shearing junipers?

Wrong plant in the wrong place.

Get a can of Fluid Film as many has suggested. Far superior to WD 40. No solvents, all natural. Beyond that, Dano is an OK guy.

Then use shears on yews, boxwood, privet, so on.

Get yourself a set of Felco #2 for the junipers.

PS Yes, I have been known to be a plant snob and I am proud of it.

cpel2004
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Post pictures please, its a good chance that the Junipers will grow back. It may take some time, properly set the customer's expectations.

Dano50
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I hope you don't mind the plug: Thank you to our fans and friends who recommended our product! Fluid Film will not burn greenery when used on cutting devices. It will outlast competitive products because it contains no solvents to evaporate. It will also not get gummy or tacky so sap and debris won't stick.

If you've never tried a can and live in the U.S., just PM me your contact information. I wish we could supply samples to everyone, but shipping is too high into Canada.

For more info, visit our website at fluid-film.com (http://www.fluid-film.com).

zoony
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I've found the best thing is spray teflon

FLAhaulboy
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I bought a can of the Stihl penetrating oil yesterday. Dealer said it was probably as good as WD-40! I guess I should of not bought it then duh.
Cost $2.51 per 10 oz can...sounds to cheap to be a Stihl product!

Southern Elegance
10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
i second the #2 felco's... we hand trim many many plants