PDA

View Full Version : ROPS up or down?

thenewbmower
09-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I was wondering what most guys out there use. Up for the safety on the hills?
Or down for the clearance of trees? I put mine up because I live in a neighborhood with not many trees but super sloped land. What's your opinion?

JohnBanks
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I hate them and think they are more dangerous to have on.

The only time i have ever almost rolled a machine is when the damn thing gets stuck on something.and i take my zero turns in nasty hills

thenewbmower
09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what did it get caught on?
Posted via Mobile Device

sven1277
09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Had them off the first weekend. One of my guys was mowing under a fruit tree with them folded and it still hit a large branch and had the machine doing a wheelie.

thenewbmower
09-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I see. Like I said, I don't have many trees, just lots of grass, and the trees I have are high enough to not be a problem. But I guess that's just my situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
09-25-2010, 03:20 AM
up when i need it down when i dont so 99% of the time its down

gebby
09-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Mine is down all the time. It does catch on things. Tree's, I've taken a few branch's along the way. Yea they will do a wheelie and you have to change underwear. Not so bad now as more carefull and when the wheelie happens, you hope you know how to handle. I was on a slight hill one day going around a power pull not expecting a wheelie, being on the slope it got caught on the pole. It can shake you up. But we have a lot of hills and it is there for us, if we feel we need it.

landers lawn
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
i use my rops only when i bag. th bagger want open with it down. when not bagging, they stay down.

deerex
09-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Mine down 99.9% of the time. One nice thing about the JD 900 series is the break point of the rops is real low so they do not catch on things when down.

mowerbrad
09-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Mine is folded in the "half-way" position since I have the bagging system on and I can't fold it any lower. But it works out well because the position the ROPS is in, it keeps branches from getting caught on the bagger. The only time I do put the ROPS in the fully up position is when I have a new account with a hill that I am not sure about. But 98% of the time the ROPS is in the half-way folded position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clark Griswold
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM
None, I keep mine off for weight savings!

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
09-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Keep mine like mowerbrad said in the half way due to bagger
Posted via Mobile Device

doublesharp
09-25-2010, 09:57 PM
My Grasshopper's rops doesn't fold so it's off and taking up garage space.

demhustler
09-25-2010, 10:05 PM
out

kilgoja
09-26-2010, 01:50 AM
off..........

StihlBR600
09-26-2010, 08:06 PM
I hate the rops bar. I always have mine in the half way position. But just the other day i was mowing under a swing set and one of the trapeze things got caught on the bar and broke it clean off the set.

castlerockmo
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Mine down 99.9% of the time. One nice thing about the JD 900 series is the break point of the rops is real low so they do not catch on things when down.

That's what I do, my dixon grizzly is this way. Now my dixon kodiak down will still catch limbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I use to leave mine halfway down but I took it off cause it still hit tree branches so I took it off and my mower got horrible traction, I was not able to turn down hill without the machice sliding. I thought I would regain the lost traction when I put on the tripple bagger on but I didnt so Im going to put the rops back on. I dont understand why the weight of the bagger didnt help, it is heavier than the rops, maybe its because the weight is behind the rear wheels and not over them.

studebaker48
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
off..........

I second that:usflag:

Green-Clips
11-20-2010, 06:17 AM
I had an issue with mine once. I was cutting near a tree and never saw a 2 inch limb sticking out. It caught the ROPS and as I drove further, the limb was first pulled forward then wipped backed through my ROPS hitting me in the back of my head and knocking me out. I went to the hospital and there was a hole in the back of my skull about the size of a dime and it took me over 2 years to regain my mental status. I kept stopping in mid sentence because I couldn't remember what I was talking about. I actually stilluse the ROPS up because I mow hills and think it still safer than letting a heavy machine roll onto me.