PDA

View Full Version : Watering while away

C & S
08-12-2002, 05:11 PM
A lady called today and wants a estimate for watering her newly seeded lawn while she is away on vacation. She said it's about a 1/3 acre in size. That's all the info I got from the message on the answering machine. What in the world would you charge someone for this?

m&m
08-12-2002, 06:18 PM
i dunno where to star, but i have a minimum $25.00 dollar cgarge if i go out to do something......thatis a hard one cause i dont know how long u will be out there.....how many sprinklers she has and how long u run them depends on how long u r there......kinda hard to guess man

Sean Adams
08-12-2002, 06:51 PM
Mike is right... she would have to give you more information to give her a price. Is it even something you want to get involved in? Is she a regular client? Do you have the time?

I have heard of people offering lawn watering services in drought areas where water use is restricted. I'm not sure if it was on this site or not. Maybe do a search and see what you can find.

C & S
08-12-2002, 07:05 PM
She is not a regular customer and she wants it done for the 10 days that she is on vacation.

MOW ED
08-12-2002, 08:17 PM
What is it gonna do for you in the future Chad?
Will it get you the mowing job, fert, fall clean? Or will it get you work from her neighbors or friends that she tells? Its a tough question to answer. There is the good old, minimum hourly charge which btw is between 30 and 40 an hour , 1 hour minimum around here. That is one way, not bad but she may scoff at 300 bucks to water the lawn. On the other hand, if it is a big lawn and you are bustin your hump to water it, it may be a problem for you if you aren't getting that kind of money.

If you give her a flat rate of say 150 to do it, it may be worth it if you get other work form her. This is assuming that you arent here for 40 hours bustin your hump towing a hose.

Whatever you do, don't give any guarantee of the lawn growing and find out specifics of how much water she wants down. The meter wont lie and if you arent clear on amount of water, she will be mad at a high water bill or mad with burnt grass.

Tough call for you but only you can really know what its worth. Good Luck.

Likestomow
08-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Just go to Lowes or HD and buy a few water timers. I think I paid about $20 each for them a few years ago. They will allow you to program the times you want to water the lawn. Figure the cost into your charge, and feel good about earning easy money.

Art Stubbs handy 58
08-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Charge her for set-up and Tear-down fee and any materials ie; hoses, sprinklers, timmers. Go bye every other day to change/move hoses, charge her say, 1.5 hrs per day @35.00hr. Like Likestomow easy money.... you just might get extra work out of the job.... If you need some hoses I have aroung 800ft of them, the drive to Wis. would'nt be so bad this time of the year, maybe stop at the Dells!!!!!!!!! :D

Tony Harrell
08-13-2002, 06:33 AM
Sounds like she likes to take care of her lawn. There could be some opportunity here. Look it over.

Premo Services
08-13-2002, 08:47 AM
It does sound like she takes care of her lawn, and could be a chance for more work. When you tell her the price to do it, she might balk at your price, but I would do it by the hour pricing.
I have these condos that I do and across the street, a lady asked me for sugestions and a price to water once a week. I figured it would take me 1/2 hr, so I said the charge would be 20.00 each week. She has never answered me on this, They think you should do this for nothing. My time is worth something to me, but obviously not to her.