PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else want to throw their Stihl trimmer down a hill

bulldogg
09-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I just spent 30 minutes trying to get the darn gas cap back on my FS90R. I have had a little of trouble with it since I bought it in spring but it usually takes a few tries and it seals and seats properly.

Are there any tips or hints on why it will not seat. I tried about everything I could but I ended up just loading it back up and using a backup.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Never had that big of a problem with them but u just got to make sure to line it up right I found to push down alitle on it and it gose right around
Posted via Mobile Device

kubotafan
09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
You can throw it my way. There is a post here somewhere where someone filed the tabs a little bit and it solved his problem.

Bagit
09-25-2010, 09:15 PM
I've got two Stihl straight shaft fs80 R's. I think they may have stopped making that model though. The gas caps are spin on. Their light weight and dependability made me buy the second. The second had an issue early on. The primer bulb quit working. Other than that they have been bullet proof.

I've really had no problems with the gas cap on my BR600 blowers, except once, I thought it was on when it wasn't, and I caught some gas down the back of my shirt:)

ed2hess
09-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I never seened this cap but I remembered I had a stihl chainsaw come into the shop with that cap. I just got back from putting that thing on/off about 10 times.......throw the muther down the hill or just go give it back to the dealer. On a hot day when you are in a hurry I'll bet that this frinking thing will go in wrong about as many times as it goes in right.

Johnny test
09-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I've got two Stihl straight shaft fs80 R's. I think they may have stopped making that model though. The gas caps are spin on. Their light weight and dependability made me buy the second.

I agree the FS80 seems to be a solid machine. I have used mine for about 4 years now. I bought it from someone who had it setting in a shed for years bought a carb for it on eBay and been using it ever since...

I have absolutely no complaints about Stihl machines they got it going on....

mark123
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I smashed mine before throwing it in the woods behind my house. I should have lit it on fire, too.

Johnny test
09-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I smashed mine before throwing it in the woods behind my house. I should have lit it on fire, too.

Lol, that's brilliant.....

GravelyGuy
09-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Have your dealer give you a new one. They are supposed to be updating the caps according to my dealer. He just gave me three new ones.

Southern Pride
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
does it being unnecessarily heavy bother you as well

Richard Martin
09-26-2010, 05:09 AM
If you file the locator tabs down a bit then the cap will work properly every time. I've had ZERO issues with mine since I did that. I did have one instance where the cap got turned to the closed position when it was open but that was my fault.

Follow these instructions to fix your cap.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3629725&postcount=83

Lazer_Z
09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
does it being unnecessarily heavy bother you as wellWhat? The FS90 is far from "unnecessarily heavy", my KM130 with the hedge trimmer attachment is heavy, not my FS90R. If you can't handle it and find it heavy somethings wrong and you need to find another profession to take on.

ProTouch Groundscapes
09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
i have like 10 pieces of stihl equipped with this cap and 2 spin ons, just out of sheer spite i hope stihl continues with these caps.