PDA

View Full Version : Too much rain and aerating

lone wolf
09-25-2010, 08:35 PM
We have had about 6" of rain in 2 days. I had 3 properties there were really high and they wanted them bagged. All city managed. I waited until the weekend to do them. I put the sides on the truck, put the bagger on the mower. Drove to the first 1 and started to cut. After about half way through, I went to dump, hopper was empty, deck was full. Have to wait for a few more days to help dry things out more.

Had a guy call me this morning to aerate 2 homes that he has. Told him how much and said I have a few down that road and I"ll do both today. He tells me that now is not the time to aerate. He wants it done in 2-3 weeks, when it is cold out, I think. WTF, he calls a service provider for a service that can be done now and he tells you to wait even though you are right there and can get it done. But no, I have to go back and do it whens he "feels" it is right.

Sometimes I think I am in the wrong line of work. UGH!

btanchors
09-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Had a customer tell me the same *exact* thing - that he thinks it's too warm out to aerate! Since we don't own an aerator, and rent one, we told him we could do it a few weeks later, but it would cost more since we'd have to rent it specifically for his job. He said not to bother, he's going to have his lawn service do it (We've only been cutting his grass until now, no other services)...

Lawnut101
09-26-2010, 12:49 AM
October is about the best time to aerate. But it depends on what you are trying to accomplish...

lone wolf
09-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Everyone knows Fall is the best time to aerate. and October is best. October is only 4 days away.

mowerbrad
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Isn't it funny how some people try to tell you how to do your job? It doesn't matter your profession either.

I'd be sure to charge a little more for the aerating since you have to make a "special" trip to do this guy's properties.

GravyTrain
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Coming from the south, I'm a big confused. I mow grass, and that's all I do. I don't try to pretend I know about the other side of maintaining lawns such as aeration, fertilization, dethatching, etc. But around here, it is my understanding that most of guys that aerate do it in the spring around here. Is there a difference between the north and the south as far as that goes?