PDA

View Full Version : Certified Professionals?

Johnny test
09-25-2010, 08:54 PM
How many members on this site are Certified Lawn Care Professionals, or Turfgrass Managers or Technicians or whatever....

I was just curious if a certification program is worth it...

Lawnut101
09-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I went to a tech college to get a "Green Industry Technician" certificate. I think it was definitely worth it. I learned a lot of good stuff, and made some really good connections with instructors and such. Well worth it in my opinion.

Az Gardener
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I am ACLP certified, Arizona Certified landscape Professional and I promise a person with a horticulture degree could not pass the test. I have also taught and proctored one portion of the test for about 14 years. My guys are in the program and I hope to have one more certified in a month when the next test is complete.

http://www.azlca.com/ACLP.htm

Sadly clients don't seem to give a ratz azz to quote Jake Plummer. It does give credibility within the industry and as previously mentioned it is a great networking source.

rwaters
09-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I think as a society we are kinda certified out. Also who knows who is doing the certification. My girlfriend is a certified mechanic(even has a certificate hanging on the shop wall next to mine) but I would not even let her change the oil in a mower as she did not know what a spark plug was till she took the exam and started doing the books for my business(we are getting married soon).

mowerbrad
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm a certified and licenesed EMT, certified CPR instructor, certified fire fighter and also have some certification in NIMS.

Well, I have a ton of certification, just not green industry related.

kubotafan
09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, I'm a certified and licenesed EMT, certified CPR instructor, certified fire fighter and also have some certification in NIMS.

Well, I have a ton of certification, just not green industry related.

If the grass gets cut you are certainly qualified to tend to it.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

grassman177
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
i am a certified arborist, and certified pesticide applicator. bout it here, but have degrees and a yearn to learn

Johnny test
09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I hope to be certified by the end of the year...

I have learned quit a bit so far. The biggest thing I've learned is how much I didn't know to begin with....

I just want the sticker on my truck....:rolleyes:

Chilehead
09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
I have my Class 24 Pesticide Applicator's License, Firefighter I & II, and HAZ-MAT I & II. Hope to get my GCLP sometime in the future, but the small amount of free time I have would be better suited getting a degree online in either horticulture, botany, or the one I really want: to be a certified landscape architect. All certifications will add to your value and repertoire. Good rapport with clients equals more business/customer loyalty.

LexingtonKYcutter
09-26-2010, 09:38 PM
All of my crew leaders have gone through the CLT testing that is put on by PLANET. We have certified guys for all of our spraying and one crew leader has a forestry degree.

Never hurts to put those facts of all the extra education your employees have in front of potential clients.

Southern Pride
09-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Working on my EMT license now. Want to get a degree in horticulture or similar after all of the firefighter schooling.

CaptainPike
09-27-2010, 06:48 AM
I have my Server+, Network+ A+ and Security+ certifications from CompTIA.

They don't help much as far as cutting a yard.

Johnny test
09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
All of my crew leaders have gone through the CLT testing that is put on by PLANET. We have certified guys for all of our spraying and one crew leader has a forestry degree.

Never hurts to put those facts of all the extra education your employees have in front of potential clients.

What type of spraying are you referring to? Where do they get training in Lex?
I am taking the Certified Turfgrass Professional of Cool Season Lawns (CTP-CSL) but I don't think that permits me to spray anything fert or pest...

Dugann
09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Infantry, Air Assult, Airborne, Ranger, Scout Sniper, Recruiter, Career Councelor, Combat Medic, Expert Infantry, Battle Skills, oh you mean lawn care and landscaping bah!

turftracerhp
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
i work my nuts off every day mowing grass.i am certified professional grass mower.

fl-landscapes
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
i work my nuts off every day mowing grass.i am certified professional grass mower.

good profession if you want to "work your nuts off all day"

h2oskier
09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
I hope to be certified by the end of the year...

I have learned quit a bit so far. The biggest thing I've learned is how much I didn't know to begin with....

I just want the sticker on my truck....:rolleyes:

I here by certify you to cut my grass sounds good coming out of a customers mouth but i don't think they will put it in a picture frame or give you a sticker to put on your truck though.

rwaters
09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
you know I think I should print some stickers, and certificates put up a site and sell certifications to cut yards:dancing: I would prob make more money doing that then selling mowers:drinkup:

JimLewis
09-29-2010, 12:32 AM
It all depends on WHY you want to get certified. If you're wanting to learn more about your industry then most certification programs will help you learn more, yes.

But if you're thinking that getting certified as a lawn care professional is going to "set you apart from the competition" as they claim it will - you're sorely mistaken. 99.9% of homeowners don't have any clue that there even IS any sort of certification for what we do and 98.9% of them don't care.

In some parts of this industry, certification has become a little more popular. Arborists, for instance. Being a "certified" arborist, is almost an expectation these days. But for most other parts of our industry - and lawn care most of all - certification makes absolutely no difference in the minds of the customer.

So go get certified all you want. Just don't think it's going to help you win more jobs. Because it really won't.

cgaengineer
09-29-2010, 06:24 AM
I am a certified applicator, Level 1 NPDES, and up till a few years ago I was ASE certified in brakes, drivability, suspension, drive train and AC. I even attended a brake specific school at a Goodyear many years ago that at the time was one of the best brake schools in the state. So I got my Goodyear brake certification too.

Of all the certs, the one most important to me is my pesticide certs.

And though I don't have the certs, I am qualified due to several years in IT for A+, Exchange Server, NET+ and MSCE, I even attended a boot camp for it.
Posted via Mobile Device