PDA

View Full Version : Convert 110 v to 12 v

dclark2037
09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I am new to the Low Voltage Lighting business. I need two light fixtures to mount to on some columns for a patio that I am doing and I cannot find any except for the ones that mount on post. My customer likes a couple that are 110 and would like to use these if they can be converted. If this is doable I would appreciate some feedback as to how to do it. I have a friend who is a electrician for an industrial construction company and he is also researching it. Thanks in advance.
David

FX Luminaire
09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Sure you can convert. Two ways..........

Take the black and white wire from the 110v fixture and hook your low volt wire to them, one and one. Fixture ground wire can be cut off or just ignore.

No you have that fixture set up for 12v.......just need the proper lamp now.
You can buy a 12v lamp that will screw into the fixture's socket/sockets....just look for them. Or you can use an adapter that converts the standard (E27 base) to a more suitable base that will accept T-3 or JC type bi-pins.

p.s. all needs to be powered and wired to a low voltage output transformer.
Try to get the voltage at the lamps around 11-11.5V.

dclark2037
09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks Fx. I already have a low voltage transformer hooked and lights run. I have some rail lights mounted under the columns. I checked the voltage when I temporarily hooked them up yesterday. I checked the voltage on all 6 of the lights and they all metered out at 12.2v. I have them hooked up to the 13v tap and believe when I go back Monday I will move it to the 12v tap. What do you think?

Classic Lighting
09-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes..........

David Gretzmier
09-27-2010, 12:30 AM
sounds good. many RV and sailboat supply websites have tons of 12 volt bulbs available. should be able to find some that work. good luck...