PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me i.d. this?

rvsuper
08-12-2002, 07:43 PM
This is in my back yard in places that are in full sun at all times. I think it got so dry that I killed it, However, the grass is still living under the trees. I think it died because it got really dry here, but I am not sure. Can you help me?

rvsuper
08-12-2002, 07:45 PM
This is just a close-up. not a very good shot tho.....

KirbysLawn
08-12-2002, 07:58 PM
I can't tell, the close up to not clear.

Richard Martin
08-12-2002, 08:09 PM
That's what the lawns around me look like if you take most of the green out of the picture.

rvsuper
08-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Here's a better one-

vipermanz
08-12-2002, 08:51 PM
looks like a fescue to me, fescue grows in "bunches' too

rvsuper
08-12-2002, 09:12 PM
my question was why is it patchy like that?? I think it got so hot and dry here that it died. Anyone else know what this could be?

Barkleymut
08-12-2002, 10:05 PM
1. Check for grubs or other insect damage.
2. Possibly disease.

Doesn't look like drought stress but I could be wrong. I would bet insects are eating at the roots and when you combined that with heat and lack of water.....goodbye grass. The reason you still have clumps of grass here and there is because the grubs just haven't gotten to those yet. The reason under the tree it is still green is because the grass has survived the grubs BUT it hasn't had to fry in the sun all day like the other grass that got the double whammy. Take a round shovel and dig out a 3" square that is about 5" deep. Then slowly sift through the dirt to locate any insects. Identify then read up on any insects and I'll bet you know why your lawn looks like that. Good luck.