PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Woods 6215

RozarLawnCare
09-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I am looking at a Woods 6215 with a Kubota diesel. I do not know much about Woods, but I think that it is a Grasshopper 721D with Woods paint on it. It had around 700 hours on it and I do not know the age. The dealer says it is 10-16 years old. Any help would be appreciated. What should I look for?

Mowingman
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
About 1994 or 1995 were the last years that the Woods machines were built by Grasshopper. anything newer than that, and it is hard to tell who built it. After Woods and Grasshopper split, Woods tried building them on their own for a while, until Grasshopper stopped them with a patent infringement lawsuit. Then, Woods contracted out their mower building, to whoever they could find that would do it at a price Woods wanted to pay.

RozarLawnCare
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone got any experience with these mowers?

RozarLawnCare
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
The serial # is 766889.

RozarLawnCare
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
It is in great shape, I am glad I bought it. Can't wait till spring, the mowing season is over here.

Mowingman
10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Very clean looking mower. Not sure, but it looks too new, to be one of the machines built by Grasshopper. Looks more like one of the Grasshopper clones.

unit28
10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Can't wait till spring, the mowing season is over here.

Huh? you can't put it away
Put a cab on it and throw a snowblower on the front.
The {snow}season is getting ready to start.:)

Good job grabbing that one up, good luck with it.

dhardin53
10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens. I'm not sure where Woods is with the new models. I think there still linked together in some ways.

The Woods had a problem with a few of the models in the middle 80s with the hydro was undersized. But I think they fixed it before the 90s models came out. Close relative found this out first hand. I have a older Grasshopper, done a lot of refurbishing to it. Parts for the Grasshopper are 20% cheaper in most cases. Its the same part but different part # than the Woods part.

All in all Wood/Grasshopper have been around for a long time and have mostly stayed in the high end residential and commercial units. Easy to fix and maintain,well designed, heavy duty mowers.
I love there Ag tires and the deck load equalizer springs as a great improvement traction problems. Once you use it and get accustom to its handling you most likely keep it and have another. Around here most all the guys that mow cemeteries use Grasshopper front mount for the their better control and handling around gravestones. For me the only down side is the so dam long and it takes up a lot of trailer and garage space. It takes some getting use to the longer tail length behind you. I have banged into more than a few buildings and fences with the back of the mower making a quick turn as I pass next to building. It is so much longer than my other ZTRs. But you get use to it and not have a problem.

Mowingman
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Lets get this correct and stop any rumors.

1. Grasshopper makes ALL of their own machines. Not one of their models is built anywhere else, except in the Grasshopper factory.
2. Grasshopper is no longer connected to Woods in any way, shape, or form. That contract relationship ended back in the mid 90's.
These are the FACTS.

I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens. I'm not sure where Woods is with the new models. I think there still linked together in some ways.

The Woods had a problem with a few of the models in the middle 80s with the hydro was undersized. But I think they fixed it before the 90s models came out. Close relative found this out first hand. I have a older Grasshopper, done a lot of refurbishing to it. Parts for the Grasshopper are 20% cheaper in most cases. Its the same part but different part # than the Woods part.

All in all Wood/Grasshopper have been around for a long time and have mostly stayed in the high end residential and commercial units. Easy to fix and maintain,well designed, heavy duty mowers.
I love there Ag tires and the deck load equalizer springs as a great improvement traction problems. Once you use it and get accustom to its handling you most likely keep it and have another. Around here most all the guys that mow cemeteries use Grasshopper front mount for the their better control and handling around gravestones. For me the only down side is the so dam long and it takes up a lot of trailer and garage space. It takes some getting use to the longer tail length behind you. I have banged into more than a few buildings and fences with the back of the mower making a quick turn as I pass next to building. It is so much longer than my other ZTRs. But you get use to it and not have a problem.

Lehighlawnpros
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Congratulations on the new machine Mr.Rozar, with only 700 hours it should serve you well for many years. Kubota diesel is all good! They run great on a
heavy-duty diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella T, I use 15w40 with good results.

RozarLawnCare
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
This is a 2000 model, it had 770 hours when I got it. It has the Kubota diesel and it runs and operates very smooth. I have not gotten use to it yet, I have hit a fence post and a tree with the rear. Glad it was in my own yard. I am bidding on some cemetery work for next year and I think it will work great.

Sammy
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens.

Wrong ! Where did you come up with that ???

RozarLawnCare
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE They run great on a
heavy-duty diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella T, I use 15w40 with good results.[/QUOTE]

That was what I was planning on using. Do you have any of these mowers?

Lehighlawnpros
10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE They run great on a
heavy-duty diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella T, I use 15w40 with good results

That was what I was planning on using. Do you have any of these mowers?

Absolutely, we've been using 700 series Grasshoppers for 17 years!

Here is some info about them that I posted previously:

I have a small fleet of Grasshopper outfront mowers;

"M1" 2004 722D G2 (liquid-cooled Kubota diesel @ 2,900 hours)

"M2" 1998 725 (liquid-cooled Kubota gas @ 7,200 hours)

"M3" 1993 721 (liquid-cooled Kubota gas @ 5,000+ hours)

all with 52" cutting decks

The GOOD:

Excellent mulching performance for our grass type (well cultivated St. Augustine), we mow high, thick, even wet
with zero clumps or visible clippings and no double-cutting.

Never any internal engine problems with the L/C Kubotas in 17 years, all still run/mow like new.

zero spindle failures in 17 years (I give them one pump of regular lithium grease every 10 hours)

fuel economy: Kubota gas = avg. 1 GPH
Kubota diesel = .5 to .6 GPH :-)

overall reliability is excellent, generally only need to replace "wear" items (belts, bearings, etc.)

ease of servicing with the flip-up decks (M1 also has PowerFold, which is awesome)

very good ride quality, especially with the bar-tread main tires

The BAD:

the older models "gemini" hydros only last 3,000 hours on average, but the newer "G2" units with separate pumps and wheel motors seem much more durable

these machines are rather heavy, but it's never been a problem for us, the wider tires help, and we always stagger our passes to avoid "ruts" (which should be done with any machine)

dealer proximity can be an issue, but I like to work on the machines myself and I have found good sources for parts online

The size/length of the outfronts takes some getting used to, but we mow residential 1/4 acres with lots of obstacles with no problems

Grasshopper makes nice mid-mounts also

Lehighlawnpros
10-26-2010, 08:51 PM
P.S.
If you wan't to run a synthetic oil I've had great results with Amsoil "ACD" synthetic diesel oil in the 722D, it's a 30 weight and should help with fuel economy.