PDA

View Full Version : How much to water lawn during AZ summer?

AZ guy
08-12-2002, 08:04 PM
I started my grass from seed in mid April. I used the Scott's Sun and Shade kind. At first, I was keeping the ground very wet while the seeds were sprounting, like 2-3 minutes each time, four times a day. Now that the lawn is semi-established (with many bald spots), I am watering twice a day for 4-5 minutes each time. I know it seems like a lot, but the grass looked like it was drying out. There are a lot of brown patches now, and even with the 110 degree heat I am afraid I am overwatering it. Should I just be watering once a day? Every two days? For how long? Thanks for any advice you all can give a newbie.

HOWARD JONES
08-13-2002, 06:40 PM
I'm really not an expert on this, but it sounds like you are definitely NOT overwatering. Try checking the earth 2 or 3 inches down - dig some of it up and see if it is somewhat damp. Once you see the results, you can check it next time by sticking a screwdriver in the ground - if you can drive it in! Different soils require or can tolerate differing amounts of watering but I'd be surprised if you are giving it enough.

AZ guy
08-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Well it sure looks like the whole lawn is dead now. Is ther no one on this forum who lives in AZ? I sure wish I knew if I killed it by over or under watering. I may just end up putting som esod down next time. When is the best time to do this? Can I do it now?

larrv45390
09-05-2002, 01:43 AM
For grass seed to germinate it most stay wet. When planting a new lawn you need to make sure the straw or mulch that you should have put over your new seed stay wet not floating but damp. Water so that you get about ˝” of water on the seed in the morning and the same in the evening. Never water in the heat of the day. Do not let water stand but the soil should be wet about 2 or 3” down . Let the new grass grow 1 or 1 ˝” past the recommended high and than mow it making sure you do not cut off more than 1/3 of the grass blades length. DO NOT BAG IT.
Now Start watering your new lawn for 45min every other day (in the morning only) for 2 week. If your new grass goes from very green to a doll or greenish yellow at this time it is getting to much water and you need to change form every other day for 45min to every 4th day for 1 hr. At the end of the two weeks you should have a very nice green lawn if you did all the prep work to your soil before planting your seed right. Now your lawn needs to get no less than 1” of water or rain a week. If you are watering it make sure you give it an inch all at one time that is about 1 to 1 ˝ hr of watering once a week………
Never let a new lawn go dormant its first summer do to heat. If you need you can water twice a week for 1 hr at a time but if it starts to yellow cut back on the water. If you get an inch or more of rain in a week do not water.