PDA

View Full Version : What mower am I describing?

PTP
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I would like to get a new 36" mower but I don't know what I want. Here are the qualifications that I am looking for. Maybe you can make some suggestions.

1. It has to cut good in all conditions. Something that cannot handle tall or wet conditions is definitely out - the Quick 36.

2. It has to have a low weight to tire size ratio. A 600 lb machine on a 6.5" tire is okay in dry conditions but it is definitely not ideal. It will leave marks in Bermuda even in dry conditions. The Quick 36 is ideal here. I want either really large tires or a really light weight or both

3. It has to steer itself - no single hydros. That leaves out the Ferris Hydrocut. Belt drive is fine.

In a nutshell, I want a Ferris Hydrocut with dual hydros or Toro T-bar controls but of course they don't make that. Any other suggestions?

SNAPPER MAN
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Get the toro gear drive floating deck with the tbar.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
If you find this mower, let me know. I cut a ton of Bermuda as well, and I know what you mean about the tire tracks. I've come to the conclusion that there are times of the year when you're gonna leave tracks, no matter what machine you use. A 21" will even track it up sometimes.

Other than the weight/tire size thing, I think my Bob-Cat walk-behind fits the bill perfectly. I've only had it a few days, but it poured rain the first day, and then I cut an overgrown lawn of thick thick THICK (did I meantion it was really thick?) Bermuda. Deck never clogged up once, and made it look good, no clumps. When it's dry, it's even better. Overall, a top-notch cutter (even leaves stripes on some lawns, which I thought was impossible around these parts), and it has the Z-controls, which I'm learning to love. Very maneuverable machine.

Like I said, the weight-to-tire size may be a concern (I haven't had any issues yet, but I haven't had it long). Book says it weighs 524 lbs. dry, and the rear tires are in the 6.5 inch range. So we'll see what happens there.

BrunoT
09-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Get the toro gear drive floating deck with the tbar.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd choose this also. A fixed deck 36" would be a little lighter but the floating deck ease of height adjust would be worth the weight to me. I believe floating deck models might have wider tires too, but I'm not sure.

BrunoT
09-27-2010, 02:12 AM
You guys must be mowing the non-hybrid Bermuda at taller settings. The low cut stuff doesn't show wheel marks at all. In fact I can use a one-wheel velke on it where I can't on other types of turf.

I find when mowing Bermuda tall the ZTR with big fat tires does better. If that is too big for your lots maybe some sort of stand-on with fat tires? Or is this gate size limited to 36"?

ShooterK2
09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I can't speak for the OP, but my customers don't want their Bermuda cut short. The industry standard around here is to start the season off at around 2" and gradually work the height up to around 3" by the end of the season. So, yeah, wheel track city..... I do keep mine shorter at my house. No wheel marks there. Also, my 36" machines are all that will fit thru most gates here. I don't know about Tulsa, however.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
2. It has to have a low weight to tire size ratio. A 600 lb machine on a 6.5" tire is okay in dry conditions but it is definitely not ideal. It will leave marks in Bermuda even in dry conditions.

You're not supposed to be using a rotary mower for mowing Bermuda anyway. :D

mowerbrad
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Exmark Viking comes to mind...its got the 6.5" wide tires and weighs only 573lbs. The only thing it doesn't have is a floating deck.

Runner
09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
And if you're going to be cutting in wet conditions, the gear drive is out. Go with hydro. With gear drive, it gets wet enough, and you have slippage. Once it starts slipping, you'll be slipping for the rest of the cut, and then some.

Turf Dawg
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
I have yet to find a mower that cuts nice, thick and lush Bermuda while it is wet or espicially with dew that does not clump and choke down. Out of the walkbehind 36/32 mowers I have owned I will say for side discharging my Quick 36 has by far the best cut on Bermuda with its short build. I will say it stinks for mulching unless you are taking off about .25" though.

PTP
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I've got the 36" Toro Turboforce and it cuts well but the 6.5" tires are not wide enough. It is the one leaving the lines on the grass. I also have the Quick and it is very light - ideal in that respect - but it can't handle anything less than ideal conditions. I need some sort of cross between the two.

I have thought of putting wider tires on the Toro. I have a little bit of room to work with. That might be my ticket.

PTP
09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
You see, my Stander weighs 750 lbs and it comes with the 10" tires. The toro weighs 580 lbs and it has the 6.5" tires. The Stander leaves far less tire marks than the Toro does. Why doesn't anyone make a 36" mower that has a low weight/footprint ratio that steers easily and cuts well?

I think that if Quick would just upgrade their deck and get rid of that tunnel deck, they might have the ideal 1/4 acre lawn mower.

93Chevy
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Snapper Pro sw20 36." Dual hydro, floating deck, 8.5" tires, priced about $3600 (depending on location). Only thing is, I wouldn't know how well it handled southern grass.

PTP
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Snapper Pro sw20 36." Dual hydro, floating deck, 8.5" tires, priced about $3600 (depending on location). Only thing is, I wouldn't know how well it handled southern grass.

You had me all excited for a second there but the website says 6.5" tires on the 36" model.

J&R Landscaping
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Exmark or Scag or Toro will work fine. What ever machine you get from those three will do you great, but be sure to get a floating deck! I'm partial to hydro drive over belt but thats just my preference.

93Chevy
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
You had me all excited for a second there but the website says 6.5" tires on the 36" model.

Oh, you're right, I'm sorry. I keep forgetting that the 36" isn't the 48" with a different deck. I don't know what I was thinking.

Is there anything keeping you from throwing on larger tires/wheels provided they fit?

Patriot Services
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I can't speak for the OP, but my customers don't want their Bermuda cut short. The industry standard around here is to start the season off at around 2" and gradually work the height up to around 3" by the end of the season. So, yeah, wheel track city..... I do keep mine shorter at my house. No wheel marks there. Also, my 36" machines are all that will fit thru most gates here. I don't know about Tulsa, however.
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you keep it from getting yellow bottom growing it out to 3" I cut all Bermuda at 2" and keep a lot of iron on it to prevent the base from yellowing out. My personal yard is a beautiful Bermuda that takes a bit of work to keep it that way.:usflag:

metro36
09-27-2010, 08:52 PM
In a nutshell, I want a Ferris Hydrocut with dual hydros or Toro T-bar controls but of course they don't make that. Any other suggestions?

Actually they make both models you are talking about above.
Toro has a 36" dual hydro with the t2 split t bar controls.
http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/tf_floathydro/30484.html

Ferris now makes a dual hydro 36" with a floating deck as well. The comfort control DD is available with a 15hp kawi and a 36" deck.
http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=25

PTP
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Actually they make both models you are talking about above.
Toro has a 36" dual hydro with the t2 split t bar controls.
http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/tf_floathydro/30484.html

Ferris now makes a dual hydro 36" with a floating deck as well. The comfort control DD is available with a 15hp kawi and a 36" deck.
http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=25

You are right, but those machines are 200 lbs heavier than the Hydrocut. That's the problem. I want a dual hydro light machine that cuts well.

Finding a dual hydro 36" - no problem.
Finding a good cutting 36" - no problem.
Finding a light 36" - no problem.

Finding all three in one machine - big problem.

ShooterK2
09-27-2010, 10:20 PM
How do you keep it from getting yellow bottom growing it out to 3" I cut all Bermuda at 2" and keep a lot of iron on it to prevent the base from yellowing out. My personal yard is a beautiful Bermuda that takes a bit of work to keep it that way.:usflag:

Once a week is as often as I can get anyone to let me cut their grass here. Some won't even do it that often. You can't maintain fast-growing Bermuda at 2" and only cut once a week. So, the answer is to let it turn yellow at the base, but just don't cut into the base. So we cut it high, and try like heck to not scalp.

I know what you're saying and I wish I could do that for my customers, but they won't pay for that kind of service.