PDA

View Full Version : How long to mow 2.9 acres with 48" W/B

MowingMowingMowing
09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I got a request to start mowing a church right by my house as the "church mower" is completely dead. I have a good relationship with the guy and they want to give me the job. Today we walked the property and the vast majority of the mowing is wide open.

I'm used to resis and a couple smaller commercials, so I went ahead and measured this one out.

It comes up to be 2.9 acres.

I mow with a 48" SnapperPro walk behind.

Question #1 How long do you think this would take to mow (I checked for a productivity chart on their website, but did not find one).

Besides the field the rest of the mowing isn't too bad, the only down side is some minor extra trimming on a small incline I know the mower won't fit through.

Question #2 I have never bidded anything of this size before and I'm thinking my price will be $165 per service. It will be cut weekly.
Does this seem reasonable to you? I am right outside of St. Louis. If you're not from around here please don't give me the "everyone has different overhead speech" I recognize this and am just seeking price opinions from those that are familiar with the market.

I will be calling them back tomorrow to give them a price. Thanks in advance for your replies.

malinois1
09-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Here is a chart from a previous thread

kilgoja
09-26-2010, 10:29 PM
i wouldn't go by that chart...realistically you can't cut that much in one hour...those charts are not even close to the real world

i would price it in the $125-$150 range...but that's just me...i hope you have a sulky lol...that's alot of walking...i imagine it would take roughly 2 1/2hrs to mow it

in real world application...i had a normal residential mower 42" cut...i guess top speed prolly was 4-5mph or so?...and it took me 45min to cut half an acre

my new mower with 54" cut going 8mph or so takes me 30min for half acre maybe 45min for one acre so almost 3 acres would take over 2hrs for my new mower...i doubt you are gonna be walking 8mph but i dunno maybe you have a sulky...but with a 48" cut it's gonna take you 2 1/2 hrs or more

MowingMowingMowing
09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Here is a chart from a previous thread

Thanks for the response. That chart is for riders though and I have a walk behind.

i would price it in the $125-$150 range...but that's just me...i hope you have a sulky lol...that's alot of walking...i imagine it would take roughly 2 1/2hrs to mow it

Yeah I have an X2 Velke and it is wide open so it really won't be that bad, probably kind of boring though lol. I've never used an Ipod on the job before, might be the time to start lol.

Regarding price, most 1 acre jobs you can figure about $60, I'm just not sure how much to expect for the other acres.

Sweet Tater
09-26-2010, 11:20 PM
try these calulators, they are very usefull. I got about 2.5 hours wih a walk behind which would be about $118 with my expemces,
use the calculators with your own info,

http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341

knox gsl
09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
According to your chart you're looking at 2+ hours of mow time plus trimming and I would guess after a few trips to this property you would be in the 3 hour range. I would bid this for your rate X 3 hours then see how that plays in with the going rate from other LCO's. I hope this helps with the bidding. The chart is for a ZTR but still works for a WB if you use a slower speed and the right deck size, I based this on running at 4mph and 80% efficiency.

MowingMowingMowing
09-27-2010, 01:34 AM
According to your chart you're looking at 2+ hours of mow time plus trimming and I would guess after a few trips to this property you would be in the 3 hour range. I would bid this for your rate X 3 hours then see how that plays in with the going rate from other LCO's. I hope this helps with the bidding. The chart is for a ZTR but still works for a WB if you use a slower speed and the right deck size, I based this on running at 4mph and 80% efficiency.

We must think alike. I was also thinking that this would end up taking about 3 hours, which is why I came up with the $165 figure.

The only thing that concerns me is that they have had a guy using the church mower for the years before (I'm assuming he did this for free) b/c he walked the property with me and told me it took him 5-6 hours to mow it with a 40" tractor if he cut weekly. That is ridiulously long for this size lot, but I'm sure he was in no rush, maybe it was a means of relaxation for him (or an escape from the wife lol).

knox gsl
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
If its an older guy with a lawn tractor compaired to a Pro on a walk behind its an apples to oranges comp. When I was in highschool I had a church property I took care of, it took me 3 hours on a garden tactor to mow, trim, and blow. The old guy previous to me would take 5 hours and used roundup and never trimmed. I would never compair a commercial machine to a home owner unit.

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
At least 2 hours. I can mow 2 acres with my 40" which does not include trimming and its wide open...a bit on the rough side, but easy to maintain a high speed. It doesn't matter that the chart is for a rider as long as you know your mower width and speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LawnRanger
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
try these calulators, they are very usefull. I got about 2.5 hours wih a walk behind which would be about $118 with my expemces,
use the calculators with your own info,

http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341
I don't recomend using lawnchat or Gopher calculators they have a virus attached to them and screwed my computer up cost me 150 bucks to have fixed

Sweet Tater
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't recomend using lawnchat or Gopher calculators they have a virus attached to them and screwed my computer up cost me 150 bucks to have fixed

I use them constantly and never had any problems:confused: