PDA

View Full Version : Fastrak SD or more

rwreuter
09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I have been SERIOUSLY looking into purchasing the Hustler Fastrak SD 54.
Here is what I have:

6.5 acres of land, 4 acres of which is pasture, which would need to be mowed every other month and rest is or will be nice grass.

My problem is will this SuperDuty be enough to mow all of it and last for MANY years? Of course the pasture that I mow will have about 1 foot tall field grass and I am not sure if this mower can do that without hesitation.

Or, do I need to upgrade to the Super Z? I don't want to buy what I don't need and I surely don't want to buy something that will not do the job and make be unhappy. Money is always an option but if I have to buy bigger then I will.

If you all don't think the SuperDuty or the Super Z will do the job easily (I mean, would it be more than enough of a machine to do it) then I will make due until it is paid for and then buy a large tractor with a PTO and run a bush hog over the four acres.

BTW, the land is flat and relatively few trees. It currently takes me around 4 hours to mow the 2 acres, which sucks. The ground is a little rough because of the construction equipment which built the house. It will be eventually all tilled and smoothed out.

Thanks for your advice,

Rob

mowerconsultant
09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
The 2.5 acres is fine for the FasTrak SD, the 4 acres of field grass 1 foot tall is my concern here, it will be working hard to do this once a month.
If your budget allows I would go with a Hustler Z or Super Z, they have a deeper heavier duty deck and will handle the field cutting much better.
Go with as much hp you can afford on the deck size of your choice.

Pj

rwreuter
09-28-2010, 01:12 AM
The 2.5 acres is fine for the FasTrak SD, the 4 acres of field grass 1 foot tall is my concern here, it will be working hard to do this once a month.
If your budget allows I would go with a Hustler Z or Super Z, they have a deeper heavier duty deck and will handle the field cutting much better.
Go with as much hp you can afford on the deck size of your choice.

Pj

Thanks for you reply, I certainly appreciate your advice. I have a question about the reason for going with the Hustler Z or Super Z. My concern would have been the drive train (hydraulic motors), but you said the reason you would go with the Z is because of the deck.

Can you clarify for me, I don't understand how the "deck" would handle it better. Or perhaps I just don't know what the "deck" is.

If it wasn't for the deck, would the hydraulic drive train withstand that kind of wear and tear? I am trying to avoid buying a large tractor with a bushhog to do the pasture, I am looking for a ztr mower that will do this job and will last YEARS and not give me problems.

v/r

Rob

rwreuter
09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Also can you clear up another thing. I have been talking to some dealers and they are saying the ALOT of the ZTR product lines are changing, both residential and commercial. Things like the seats, motors (because of emissions), pumps, decks and such. Can you shed some light on this?

They have also said that some lines are going away for good. Will the Fastrak SD line be getting a significant change.

I guess what I am getting at, I know at the end of the year is a good time to buy because dealers are trying to dump their year end models to make room for the new ones, are the improvements significant enough in the SD and Z lines that I should wait?

I know the current product that you sell is very good, but if the improvements will make a great deal of difference then the wise thing to do would be to wait.

v/r

Rob

rwreuter
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry for all the questions...if it is any consolation I am going to buy a Hustler ZTR.

Anyways, what is the difference between the Kawasaki 25 HP engine and the Honda GXV630 engine.

I can't really find any product information about the GXV630, though I did notice in many pictures that the SD54 commonly had the Honda installed. It doesn't seem to have that remote air filter. Correct me if I am wrong.....am just trying to make an informed decision.

v/r

Rob

mowerconsultant
09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for you reply, I certainly appreciate your advice. I have a question about the reason for going with the Hustler Z or Super Z. My concern would have been the drive train (hydraulic motors), but you said the reason you would go with the Z is because of the deck.

Can you clarify for me, I don't understand how the "deck" would handle it better. Or perhaps I just don't know what the "deck" is.

If it wasn't for the deck, would the hydraulic drive train withstand that kind of wear and tear? I am trying to avoid buying a large tractor with a bushhog to do the pasture, I am looking for a ztr mower that will do this job and will last YEARS and not give me problems.

v/r

Rob

The Hustler Z and Super Z use a deeper different design deck, they are designed to handle the taller growth better.
As long as your mowing flat ground and sticking to what you have explained here the Hustler Z and Super Z drive systems will be fine, the Super Z is just faster.

Pj

mowerconsultant
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Also can you clear up another thing. I have been talking to some dealers and they are saying the ALOT of the ZTR product lines are changing, both residential and commercial. Things like the seats, motors (because of emissions), pumps, decks and such. Can you shed some light on this?

They have also said that some lines are going away for good. Will the Fastrak SD line be getting a significant change.

I guess what I am getting at, I know at the end of the year is a good time to buy because dealers are trying to dump their year end models to make room for the new ones, are the improvements significant enough in the SD and Z lines that I should wait?

I know the current product that you sell is very good, but if the improvements will make a great deal of difference then the wise thing to do would be to wait.

v/r

Rob

The FasTrak SD line will be changing in production after the first of the year due to emissions regulations, it will get newer style less gallons fuel tanks with vapor and raw fuel recovers systems.
The Hustler Z is being replaced by the X-One with the same situation on the fuel tanks, it will get a new deck, seat and a slightly different frame set up.
The engines will also change to approved engines per the EPA.
It is true that many manufacturers are changing product line ups do to the EPA.

Pj

mowerconsultant
09-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry for all the questions...if it is any consolation I am going to buy a Hustler ZTR.

Anyways, what is the difference between the Kawasaki 25 HP engine and the Honda GXV630 engine.

I can't really find any product information about the GXV630, though I did notice in many pictures that the SD54 commonly had the Honda installed. It doesn't seem to have that remote air filter. Correct me if I am wrong.....am just trying to make an informed decision.

v/r

Rob

Both are great engines, its a personal preference, both are commercial engines.
The 25hp Kawasaki engine after the end of this year wont be used, it wont pass new EPA regulations, the new engine we will use will not have the current air cleaner, it will have commercial filter system, but not the canister set up.

Honda info here > http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxv630

Pj

rwreuter
09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Can you let me in on the new engine that you will be using?

mowerconsultant
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Can you let me in on the new engine that you will be using?

I dont have that information to release yet, sorry.

rwreuter
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the information......I certainly appreciate it.

After test driving a Fastrak SD "60 with the Kawasaki and Honda engine (and the Super Z "72) I purchased the 2010 Hustler Fastrak SD 60" (with Flex Forks & the Honda engine)!!!!!

I did a bunch of mowing today and it was a blast. The mower didn't have to much of a problem with the field grass, though I can tell you I won't let it get this long again especially if I am going to mow it with the ZTR.

If I could have justified the extra 3k for the SuperZ I would have bought it. Forums like this make a difference in the selection process. These last couple of days you and others on Lawnsite.com sold me on this mower.

Thanks,

v/r

Rob

mowerconsultant
10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the information......I certainly appreciate it.

After test driving a Fastrak SD "60 with the Kawasaki and Honda engine (and the Super Z "72) I purchased the 2010 Hustler Fastrak SD 60" (with Flex Forks & the Honda engine)!!!!!

I did a bunch of mowing today and it was a blast. The mower didn't have to much of a problem with the field grass, though I can tell you I won't let it get this long again especially if I am going to mow it with the ZTR.

If I could have justified the extra 3k for the SuperZ I would have bought it. Forums like this make a difference in the selection process. These last couple of days you and others on Lawnsite.com sold me on this mower.

Thanks,

v/r

Rob

Awesome!!
Welcome to the Hustler family!
Post up some pics for us.

Pj

rwreuter
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Here is a picture of my new ZTR. Sorry it took a little while to post a picture.

rw

mowerconsultant
10-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Here is a picture of my new ZTR. Sorry it took a little while to post a picture.

rw

No pic? .. lol.....

rwreuter
10-08-2010, 06:56 PM

rw

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o324/rwreuter/2010%20Hustler%20Fastrak%20SD%2060/2010HustlerFastrakSD60.jpg

mowerconsultant
10-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks great!!!

rwreuter
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Do you haven any wall paper pictures of the fastrak sd 60" for my computer?

mowerconsultant
10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Do you haven any wall paper pictures of the fastrak sd 60" for my computer?

I have some high resolution pics you could use as wallpaper, email me and I will email them to you.

Pj