PDA

View Full Version : Echo Handhelds

dwmason
09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Looking at switching to Echo equipment, trimmer, edger, blower etc. There is a good dealer in town so I will not have issues with the service. What are my pros and cons of Echo

MarcSmith
09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
w run echo trimmers....srm265 blowers...pb770, and gas shears...

run fine...can handle worker abuse...

Alan0354
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
You can't go wrong.

lawnboy dan
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
the only pro is that you have a dealer-you will need him-often

rain man
09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I am going to start using a schythe.

Columbia Care
09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I like my Echos. Reliable and easy to work on. My plugs foul out frequently and air filters clog easily. I would recommend keeping extra air filters and spark plugs on your truck.

LCPullman
09-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Echo makes excellent equipment. I've gone away from it mainly because they started making their machines heavier. But I would definitely recommend them.

Quix
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a 210 and 230 trimmer, 2 pb 251's, have ordered a 770 blower. I would have nutting else. Dealer support is good I think, tho they haven't needed any work in the 3 years I've had them.

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:24 AM
I have a 210 and 230 trimmer, 2 pb 251's, have ordered a 770 blower. I would have nutting else. Dealer support is good I think, tho they haven't needed any work in the 3 years I've had them.

I never understand why people keep saying Echo are cheap stuffs!!! I am not a fan of Echo, I have the HC151 el cheapo hedge trimmer. It has been the most reliable piece so far. But as I said, I am not a fan and I have no intention buying any Echo........That's just me. I am partial towards Maruyama and Husqvarna, not saying they are better, just me.

But spending years reading every posts about hand held here, Echo seem to have the least problems and they seem to get it right from the get go. I never heard of any new Echo products turning out to be a bomb, they get it right the first time. I don't think you can say that about most of the other brands.

DAR57
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
4 Echo weedeaters, 2 handheld blowers, 1 edger, 1 hedgetrimmer and the biggest backpack blower they made 3 years ago. 3 years ago was the newest piece I bought. Have taken 1 weedeater back for carb adjustments and 1 handheld blower for the same work. Greased all shafts annually. ALL ARE ON ORIGINAL PLUGS except 1 blower. Use the echo premeasured oil and BE EXACT WITH THE FUEL!!!!!!

PLS-Tx
09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
We have 4 Echo 265T's and 1 Echo 261T for sale if you are anyone else are interested. We can ship.

fobaum
09-28-2010, 07:50 PM
PLS-Tx Why are you selling your echo's ? Im curious to know if you found a better trimmer than echo, If so what are you runnin now

ed2hess
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
PLS-Tx Why are you selling your echo's ? Im curious to know if you found a better trimmer than echo, If so what are you runnin now
Yep I would like to know that also. I am almost convinced that those might be the best mid size on the market at this time.

PLS-Tx
09-29-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm selling because my dealer, uhh ex-dealer is not taking care of us. We have used them for years but no more. EVERYTHING we bring to them, ztr, handheld's we end up going back several times for the same repair. Over charging us for simple repairs, I know other guys that are having problems with them also.

We sold our ztr's yesterday, went with Ferris. We already have a couple of Stihl Edgers and 4 BR600's that we have bought from the Ferris dealer over the past couple of years. We are going to all Stihl, getting everything from one dealer.

Here is the link to my trimmers that I'm selling.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=330220

Also, I have 4 Shindaiwa T-230, not 231's, 2 have pole saw attachments and 2 have hedge clipper attachments. I may be selling these soon also.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Quality wise I put them up with anything mainly because Echo was my first commercial grade equipment (blower pb403t and srm210 trimmer) I bought them both in 2002. To this day they both run flawlessly, so 8 years. I have never winterized either one and done 1 spark plug and 1 fuel filter, and 1 air filter on both in the 5 years I have used them. They both cost me about $600 in 05' and have made me a countless amount since then. So, Echo? A definite yes. I just invested in a redmax trimmer this year so my Echo is now a backup and I want a redmax blower next season so they will go to backup. Nothing against them but my switch to redmax is purely bc the weedeater is the lightest and the blower is very very powerful. I did just buy an Echo hrc150 hedge trimmer a month ago and it is AWESOME. Lord knows how many years it will last making me $. I know plenty of guys with these hedge trimmers that have run them near a decade, with one minor carb clean/adjust. Some guys have had bad experiences but they just got lemons. The good heavily outweigh the bad with Echo I would say.

snapper72'
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Their not perfect but I have come to believe that they may be the most practical handheld on the market.
the con's are; heavy for the power you get and
underpowered for the money(over 300.00 to get bigger than a 23 cc)
the pro's are; reliable and durable,
well made engines, (they really run well and they last),
carried by dealers everywhere(so, no trouble getting repair work),
easy to work on,
parts are easy to find(Home Depot carries most of what you need),
parts are reasonably priced,
carried by Home Depot, (if you want to go that route),
reasonably priced, and
excellent customer service from the corporation.
Also, the smaller engine models, like the SRM210/225 and SRM 230, hold up well for long term use and are priced good. I have used them over the years without much to complain of.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah I get the whole tune up kit for blower and trimmer, Echo oil mix, Echo big line spools, everything at Home Depot. I even replaced the head on my trimmer this year and home depot had that as well. I'm surprised the original head even lasted 8 years, had to have bumped and slammed it a million times.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 02:33 AM
And there are people that trash SRM210/225, HC150 just because they sell it in Home Depot. I really don't think people that call them home owner Echo ever try them and said that just to promote dealers.

Those "cheap homeowner" stuff are just as reliable and durable as any other Echo.

Go through all the old thread for the last 4 years, see how many Echo stuff blow up or had major problems. I can tell you I did read ALL the posts the last few years and come to say Echo is about the only one that never really have major problems. None of the blown engine when new, none of the cold nature and hard start. No more carb issue than others. Nothing drop off the trimmer or blower, none of the fan ripping apart on their bp. Of cause there is always lemons. But you should read some of the "bombs" that people complained about!!!

Can any other brand say that? As I said, I am not an Echo fan, I have the HC151 and I won't buy another one. But facts are stubben. It's just my personal taste. I have more Shindaiwa stuff, but if I have to bet, I bet on Echo even I would buy the Shindaiwa Hedge trimmer.

Merkava_4
09-29-2010, 04:36 AM
That's gonna be impressive having all Echo. It's always impressive having all one brand of something. :D

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 04:50 AM
That's gonna be impressive having all Echo. It's always impressive having all one brand of something. :D

How's your tall trimmer coming along?