PDA

View Full Version : GMC2500 or F250

Hoopsfan
08-12-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm in the market for a new truck and can't decide on what to buy. I've always been a GMC guy, but am leaning to the F250. Anyone have comments on the two?

wriken
08-12-2002, 09:19 PM
I bought a 2002 F-250 in may, best thing I've done in along time, would never go back to a gas. I pull a 20' Trailer, loaded with a 60" ZTR, 48" hydro w/b, 2-timmers, 2 backpac blowers, 4-wheel edger, and vacuum systems for both mower, also a 21" mower. In the truck bed I have a fully loaded toolbox, and a 40 gal gas barrel. Anyway alot of weight, and it pulls it like nothing behind me, like I said no more gassers for me. Oh ya I average 17 mpg's, pulling the trailer, and I run it hard, I have just rolled over 11000 miles. The trailer alone weighs 1900 Lbs

Randy J
08-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Right now you can get a heck of a deal on a new Dodge Cummins. Around $28,000 - $31000 for a 4X4 quad cab, depending on how you want it loaded. More grunt for the money!
Randy

Gravel Rat
08-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Dodge sells their trucks cheap so somebody would actually buy them personally I would never buy a Dodge truck especially if its gonna be a work truck. Been using Ford trucks from F-150s to L9000s for work trucks never let me down yet and probably never will oh ya I live in Ford country where 6 out of 10 trucks are Ford. Seeing a Dodge being used for work is as rare as seeing a pig fly Fords and Chevs have proven to out work any other brand.

Anyhow you can't go wrong with either truck is this truck going tobe 2 or 4 wheel drive if its going tobe 4x4 Ford does have the edge because of the leaf springs and straight axle. If its going tobe 2wheel Ford and Chev are about equally matched the twin I beam suspension in the Ford is good but the A arm ISF in the Chev rides nicer. If your already a GMC man why don't ya go for another GMC you know what they are like and they are proven in your mind.

Good luck on the decision I would also look at SRW F-350s and 3500s a bit more legal payload for not much more money.

Randy J
08-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Don't know about BC, but here in the States, Dodge is a very popular work truck. Dodge arguably has the best diesel engine in a "light" duty truck. And Dodge is the only truck to put a solid front suspension under their 4X4's, instead of IFS.
Randy

CT18fireman
08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Looked under a Ford? All 350's made have solid fronts. Since 99 all SD Fords F250-550 have solid front/leaf springs.

I will not take part in the truck debate, but at least get the facts straight.

Dodge actually uses a solid axle, coil spring front. Not that this is better or worse then a Ford. Chevy uses a IFS setup common on lighter weight trucks.

Hoopsfan
08-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the help. BTW, it will be a 4x4 and I will be pushing snow with it.

Thanks
Hoopsfan

Randy J
08-13-2002, 09:10 PM
With a 3/4 Dodge you get a Dana 60 solid front axle. With a 3/4 Ford you don't get a solid front axle. You have to step up to a 1 ton, SRW. Actually all 3 brands have their strong points, and all 3 have their problems, but to say a Dodge isn't a good work truck is plain crazy. Dodge may not make the best interior, but they do make a darn fine work truck. I'll take my Dodge with 125,000+ miles anyday over a Ford, or Chevy with compareable mileage.
Randy

Brickman
08-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Randy WHY DOES MY F 250 (3/4 ton) HAVE A SOLID FRONT AXLE?????? And why does the book say it is a DANA 60?????????????? With the DANA 80 on the rear. Before you make a blanket statement you need a trip down to the local Ford dealer. I can't believe you keep insisting that it is not a solid axle when you were told several times they were.

I will agree that the Cummins WAS a good engine. That is before it was made a 24 valve. Now they are TRASH. Just ask a mechanic. Local rental store has a 24 valve Dodge, he has the reciepts to prove the $15,000 in warranty work done on that engine. He says he will never buy another Dodge.
I dearly wish I could get a 12 valve engine in my F 250, then I would have the best truck around.

As for the original ?, get the F 250 PS. You won't regret it.

We do 4 U
08-14-2002, 12:30 AM
The fire department I work for uses F-350 chasies and disel engines for thier medic units.. Now these trucks, I am told, are over there weight rating with 2 people on board. The department has trucks that have 180,000+ miles on them and they are still going! Now remeber, these trucks are not driven like the avarge daily driver. They go form cold to running 60mph at the drop of a dime and are driven VERY hard. I am going to get a F- series super duty truck based on how well these trucks last on our fire department and because of how few problems we have with them.
Just a side note, the manager on thr fire department vechile shop used to be a chevy man, he said that the ford medic units converted him.

Brickman
08-14-2002, 12:39 AM
I have had my F 250 overloaded by 10K lbs. More than once. Still runs good, has 106K miles on it. Runs just as good as the day I drove it off the lot. My clutch went at 70K some thing. That is probably the biggest weak spot on the newer trucks. Mine lasted a LOT longer than some do, and I have a power chip on mine and am a very demanding driver. I have heard of some going out under the 36K warranty with no chip and very little pulling. So I think I got by lucky with mine.

Gravel Rat
08-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Brickman is right any 3/4 ton Ford after 98 has solid front axle and tough reliable leaf springs like the old 70s Fords the only way to fly.

Sure Dodge has a solid front axle but its got a crappy front suspension kinda mickey mouse in my mine coil springs can't carry a load properly and top it off Dodge doesn't have manual hubs.

As for the Cummins being a good engine its nothing but a bunch of hype just because it is a Cummins its not the best engine out there. The only Cummins engine I would have in a truck would be a 400 Big Cam but thats it not a big fan of Cummins engines.

Like I said I live in Ford country and Ford trucks is truck of choice for logging contractors for years I have seen Ford F-350 4x4 crewcabs doing 20 years of bush crummy service. These trucks were bought by large logging companies as brandnew trucks and took into remote camps and never hit a paved road for the life of the truck. They were beat on severly carrying 5000 pounds of gear in the box with a cab full of loggers beating down a logging road going to work everyday. You meantion about using a Dodge truck in the bush you would be laughed right out of the camp and called a few unmeantionable sayings.

When you got 6 loggers in a truck making 25 to 30 bucks an hour and the truck isn't reliable thats alot of money the contractor is out because the boys can't get to the cut block thats why only Fords are taken into the bush.

Don't think Dodges are so tough haven't seen any used for Bush crummies yet don't make the excuse that Dodge doesn't offer crewcabs the loggers use reg cab trucks alot.

Brickman
08-14-2002, 12:51 AM
Dang Gravel Rat. Nobody could say it better. For people that don't know if it won't stand in the bush, or oil fields it is NOT a truck.
All the car hauling Dodge rigs around here are 3500. I am running a F 250 for the time being. All the Dodge 1 tons sag in butt end just as bad as my 3/4 ton does. That tells me some thing about the suspension.

Randy J
08-14-2002, 05:02 AM
And most of the trucks in the oil fields down here in Texas are Dodge. It's news to me that Ford finally started putting a solid front axle in the 3/4 ton again. But that's a good thing. I guess loyalty to truck brand runs thicker than blood. But, check the life expectency of a cummins vs. power stroke. I can't remember the ratings right off hand, but the cummins is rated as a medium duty engine, and the power stroke as a light duty (or something to that affect.) The Ford is a nice truck, it would be much better with a cummins in it. I just PERSONALLY would rather have my Dodge (with no sagging rear end - trucks not mine) than a Ford, or especially a Chevy, for a work truck.
That's the beauty of America, you can drive what you want. This all started because someone said Dodge doesn't make good work trucks. Well for my money, as well as many others, Dodge makes the best.
Randy
By the way, I used to have a Dodge with a solid front axle and leaf spring suspension, I'll take the coil spring anyday.

rkbrown
08-14-2002, 09:36 AM
I have a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel. Great truck. Hauls/tows anything I need it to, comfortable as a family vehicle, good mileage.

Dennis E.
08-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Power Stroke Diesel.

Mykster
08-15-2002, 02:08 AM
pre 79 all Ford = SFA
80 - 98 F250 = TTB (Dana 50)
99 - current = SFA (Super Duty body style)
early 80's F350 = TTB (old body style / Dana 50)
mid 80's - 98 F350 = SFA (old body style / Dana 60)
99 - current F350 = SFA (Super Duty body style)

TTB = Twin Traction Beam / Fords version of IFS

99 - 02 Super Duty's :
single rear wheel = SFA Dana 50
Dual rear wheel = Dana 60

m&m
08-19-2002, 05:49 PM
dodge is not the only one with a straight axle.....my f-350('97 model) has the solid front end.......as for the original question, i dont think he asked gas or diesel but oh well........diesel if thats what ya wanna know.....as far as chevy or ford, i go either way on them two although i am a chevy man.......have had good luck with both my ford and my chevy diesel

m&m
08-19-2002, 05:55 PM
well to put and early end to the ford, dodge , cummins thing...........soon ford will be having cummins in the truck......they have already"owned" and i use that term loosely,,, the cummins for a while.....just had to wait until dodges contract ran out

Brickman
08-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Don't hold your breath on the Cummins in a F 250 thru F 550. You can get them in the 650 and 750. From what I have heard Ford only owned like 5% a long time ago. And have long since sold their share.

Randy J
08-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by m&m
well to put and early end to the ford, dodge , cummins thing...........soon ford will be having cummins in the truck......they have already"owned" and i use that term loosely,,, the cummins for a while.....just had to wait until dodges contract ran out

Not for a long time. Ford sold their 5% share about 10-15 years ago. Cummins just signed a new contract with Dodge to supply engines through 2007. The Cummins is a (popular) choice in the F650 & F750. I was thinking the F550 also, but am obviously wrong on that one.
Randy

Gravel Rat
08-19-2002, 08:57 PM
The only Cummins engine in a F-650 and F-750 should be the 8.3 ISC the 5.9 ISB has no balls for a MTD applications Cummins is way out of whack if the think a 360 cid engine is good for a heavy truck. You can think what you want but theres no replacement for displacement when a F-750 has 8 ton load on its back its gotta move you can't be climbing hills in first gear like you would be doing if the truck was powered by a 5.9 . Some of the hills here have 13% grades so you need the power to climb them plus you need the compression of a large engine to give you some ******ing when goind down the hill.

The 3126 Cat isn't turning out so good Ford should offer the C-10 Cat in there MDT line it would out work a 8.3 anyday.

JimMac
08-19-2002, 09:33 PM
My name is Jim. I own a 96 ford f350 single rear wheel pickup w a powerstroke diesal, which is very, very strong for plowing (9' blade), very, very strong for towing my 6x12 trailer (with custom basket to hold my leaf sucker). This basket is welded 3/8" steel-all heavy duty; together basket and leaf sucker on it weighing about 400lbs, not including al the mowers, hand tools and other **** I carry- But the powerstroke deisal is also very, very NOISY. This is not good when plowing a residential house at say 4 am. I also own a 87 gmc 6.2 deisel, which up till 2 months ago ran extremely strong on the dually 1-ton chassis. Then something happened to the fuel injector pump. I took the truck to a boneified gmc dealer to fix. After 11 weeks--- yes, 11 weeks, I gave them a check for 4000.00. The mechanic (lead deisal mechanic) spent 2 hours telling me not to waste any more moey on it, but was sorry to inform me that it needs more work (glow plugs, which are rusted in there, causing the motor heads to probibly be removed-big cash). Anyway, after paying 4000.00 after 11 weeks, the truck is still in the dealers shop. How's that for dependable dealer service? I got ramrodded from day 1 with these "proffessionals", who in the process burned 3 different starters (I got charged for one), burned out the glow plugs (which I was told were fine at the beginning), burned out the ignition switch (see any patterns here?), and eliminated 1 fuel tank.(my sending switch is bad, ya right). I put a stop payment on the check this morning, and contacted a lawyer. Now I'm looking at a new Duramax Deisel w Allison tranny. Please advise this pathetic sucker who trusted a dealer in the first place.

m&m
08-19-2002, 10:21 PM
well i aint holding my breath for a cummins anyhow.......i have never liked them and probably never will..........just my taste with them and they didnt impress me one bit while driving them........and i didnt know they were limiting it to certain ford trucks.......but oh well, ill stay with my powerstroke for now.........it has done me well and hasnt refused to pull anyhting yet.......so far so good .............like i said before, i have had good with my chevy and my ford

m&m
08-19-2002, 10:22 PM
jim ,
its o k if that diesel is noisy..........afterall, if you are snowplowing, then that is the sound of making money

Brickman
08-19-2002, 10:41 PM
JimMac I have heard your story REPEATEDLY about the sick.2. Friends that have had similar events. Personally I think the only thing a sick.2, and the sick.5 is good for is a boat anchor. A guy I haul cars for told me his uncle bought a sick.5 new in 95, bought a three car trailer and went to hauling cars with it. The poor sick.5 gave totally gave up in 3 months time. HEY ODINOO, HOW ABOUT THIS FOR CHEVY QUALITY??? :D

I got a question for you. WHY would you go buy another GM product when they cannot figure out how to fix the first one?????? It does not make sense to me. And when the customer service is so poor, you give them MORE biz. There has got to be some thing here that I am not seeing.

m&m
08-19-2002, 10:47 PM
i can honestly say that the 6.5 i had , i never had a problem with it and i hung with the powerstrokes all the time........maybe i had a good one but then again every truck i have had ive had luck with

never could say nuttin bad about my 6.5......i pulled the heaviest of loads and also going to alabama with a load of horses in big trailers, i still hung with the strokers.......even in the mountains of north carolina

Brickman
08-19-2002, 10:56 PM
That is the first I have ever heard of a sick.5 doing that. A friend has an auto sick.5 that will never keep up to my stick shift Stroke. But then again Paul wasn't the one driving the Stroke. He has places to go, people to see and he should have been there yest. :D :D
I have heard he drives with a lead boot. :D
Actually not much over the speed limit. But I do my best to hold to the speed limit UP and down hill. No matter how steep the hill or heavy the load. So my trucks get worked GOOD.

odin
08-19-2002, 11:11 PM
brickman

Let me tell you something about your almighty great power stoke ,i got a friend who races nascar he had a 2000 f350 dually pickup hauls a 24 foot triler with a 1966 pontiac race car in .And i point out he HAD a f350.
That god**** power stroke blew up partner first 2 months he had it and my friend was god almighty glad it was still under warranty .
Know whats pulling that race car around now take a guess :D

Brickman
08-19-2002, 11:21 PM
OK Odin some times **** happens. BUT YA GOT TO KEEP OIL IN THE ENGINE. But the sick.2 and sick.5 have a KNOWN TRACK RECORD of this sort of thing. The PS DOES NOT.
Every morning when I go out my door I am thankful that I got a PS to drive. :D
Besides even IF the GM was better, there is no way in heck it is worth $10K to $12K more than a PS. This was at the time I bought mine, the only difference being mine is a standard trans. GM does not offer that in the diesel. Other wise the trucks were very comparable.

JimMac
08-21-2002, 08:21 PM
I can't belive nobody is talking about the duramax diesal. I don't know too much, but it seems like the technology of the duramax coupled with the technology of the allison tranny is superior to previous diesal engines- plus it's quiet! My buisness is mainly in residential neihborhoods, and it really means a lot to me that the duramax is quiet. Is there anyone who owns a duramax (preferably the new 6600)who can vouch for this 7000.00 option? The powerstroke and the cummings are both way too noisy. I own the powerstroke, but not the cummings. The powerstroke, by the by, is totally trash when it's cold out. It needs to be plugged in 45 degrees or colder, which is BS. The 6.2 gmc only needed to be plugged in for 20 degrees or colder. Not bad for a truck 10 years older. I wonder if the powerstroke I own has a problem with the glow plugs, glow plug timer/relay switch? Please advise if you know. Thanks PS even though I have a problem with a certain gmc dealer, I'm still going to buy a gmc product if it is a better product. It's a lot of money, so I want the latest technology. JimMac

Gravel Rat
08-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Why in the h*ll would you want to buy a duracrap I hear there are so many problems with the engine GM is having a hard time fixing their junky engine. I would never own a truck with a automatic even if it had 20 spds in it I still wouldn't own it the Allison isn't cracked up to all its supposed tobe.

Sure PSD are noisy atleast you know the engine is running they are quieter than the Cummins if you want a GM truck better get it gas powered.

Good luck on the decision

cat320
08-22-2002, 08:11 AM
JimMac I have heard from other people that they can start there 7.3's in colder weather than 45 deg. with out plugging in i have one and plug in at 32 just to make starting easier.If you go to the diesel page they talk all about the 6.6 but the alluminum heads are the only thing that worries me but so far no problems that i know of.Plus the fact that it's real pricy to get the all/dur combo.

Brickman
08-22-2002, 08:39 AM
If you are plugging in at 45 you need to get your glow plug set up looked at. I have started mine below 0. Now normally I plug in below 20 just to make things easier to start. But I am not always at a place that I can.

On the Duramax, no aluminum head on a cast iron block engine for me in a diesel application. PLUS the fact that in 2000 when I got my F 250 a very similar equiped GM truck was $12,000 more. No way is a Duramax worth that much more, even IF it was better.

Randy J
08-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Brickman & Gravel Rat, I'm beginning to think you guys are so blinded by Powerstrokitis that you can't see anything else. The Cummins has probably the most proven track record. The Ford has been a good truck, and GM has always produced good motors. All 3 have their pluses and minuses. JimMac, if you think a Duramax will fit your needs, go with it. I have a real hard time with any V8 diesel, especially one with aluminum heads. But as I said in an earlier post, a lot of people have 'em, and a lot of people love 'em. I will say this about the Cummins (prepare for flame from Brickman & Gravel Rat!), the new Cummins will have the most horsepower & torque, of course this will change the next time either have an update, but the big news is, it's rumored to be quiet. Personally I like 'em noisy, that's why I removed my muffler, and am running just a straight pipe. But you might want to check them out. The new body style should be hitting dealers around mid-September, but I think there's a delay on the new engine. Not sure when it will debut.
Randy

Gravel Rat
08-22-2002, 12:16 PM
I still won't be buying a Dodge one they are not a true truck in my mind and two Daimler Corporation put my Uncle out of a Job (Closed Western Star plant).

Theres no point in having a over powered P/U truck if the truck can't handle the weight a P/U truck is overloaded with a 12,000 pound trailer. Need to haul larger loads get a larger truck even a F-550 is a tinker toy the real trucks start with 650s which got real frames axles transmissions etc.

As for you thinking V-8s diesels are junk theres nothing wrong with them look at how many is out there only Cummins couldn't build a V-8 their tripple nickle was a POS. International has been building V-8 diesels for years they know what they are doing when it comes to building engines and trucks. Detroit V-8s were good in their day the only lemon was the 8.2 but the others were good 8v71 and 8v92 both good truck engines.

I don't like the Duramax because its got rotten aluminum heads on it the worst thing for a diesel they don't even work with gas engines.

I'am glad Crummins has some beleivers out there for the over rated ISB engine that used tobe originally designed for farm tractors and rated at 160 hp.

Randy J
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
I think you misunderstood me Gravelrat, I was very careful to not say anything is junk. But, how many OTR trucks have V8 diesels? While I can't say for sure none, I do know the vast majority are inline 6 diesels. A straight 6 just has more torque than a V8. Same with my old Ford F150 with the 300ci straight 6, The old 300ci was a great engine. As for the Cummins being overrated, check out the size of the connecting rod compared to the connecting rod on the powerstroke, or duramax for that matter. I do agree real trucks start at the F650 size and up though. They're just not practical at that size for most of us.

The point I was trying to make is that all make good trucks, and if JimMac thinks a Duramax will work for him, it probably will. It's rumored to be holding up well. I'm sorry I don't know the GM diesel website off hand, but if you do a search for it, I'm sure you'll find it.
Randy

JimMac
08-22-2002, 05:26 PM
JimMac here; I think that you can get a lemon no matter which brand you buy, just would be nice to know which makes have the most lemons. Is there a web site for 1 ton trucks, which will rate them fairly-ie-not sponsored by any of the big three? There is consumer reports for cars, but the only trucks they talk about are usually regular pickups. I'm talking about 1 ton dually's meant for commercial use. The average price now is between 35-40K. This is a considerable investment and some research would greatly help. I don't know too much about various deisal engine designs, so when I see comments comparing actuall design elements/facts, it is good for me to understand more about these engines. Why is aluminum not good for a diesal? Won't that dissipate the intense heat better? This is just the tip of the iceberg- I'm sure there is many more facts to learn about basic designs with diesals. Why is the straight in-line design better than a v-8 design? Someone spoke of a diesal page. Where can I find this? Thanks again.

cat320
08-22-2002, 07:17 PM
www.62-65dieselpage.com

Randy J
08-22-2002, 09:06 PM
JimMac,

Like I said, you can do good with any of the three, or you can do bad with any of the three. I prefer a straight 6 as opposed to V8 diesel, as do most of the over the road trucks. Also, look under the hood, the Cummins seems much simpler than the other 2. Not to say the other 2 aren't bad engines, you just have to decide what you want. The powerstroke & duramax drive more like gas engines, meaning their power is higher in the rpm band. The Cummins drives more like a "big rig" engine, meaning it's power is lower in the rpm band. I can give you the web page for Dodge Diesel (http://www.turbodieselregister.com) , maybe Gravel Rat or Brickman can give you the web page for Ford, and someone else the one for Chevy. Just remember, on all 3 web pages, you're going to see what looks like a ton of problems. There aren't that many people posting the good things, most people post when they have a problem. And the majority of owners of all 3 are not having problems.
Any one of the trucks are good, do the research and see which one suits you best. Don't let anyone tell you that any of the 3 trucks aren't a "real work truck". If you have any questions about the Dodge, you can email me direct at rdj@gvtc.com.
Happy researching!
Randy
P.S. Not sure about the Chevy or Ford pricing, but right now, you can get a sweet deal on a 2002 Dodge as they're making room for the 2003's. Of course, as I already said the 2003 will be quiter than the 2002.

Oops, I see that you've already been give the Chevrolet page, I think this is the Ford (http://www.ford-diesel.com) web site although it's not coming up for me right now. And here's another Dodge Diesel Ram (http://www.dieselram.com) web site.

Brickman
08-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Randy since I am in a good mood even tho I had a terrible day I am not going to cuss you out for saying that I don't like Cummins. Go back and read slower some of my earlier posts. I said that I would have a Cummins in a F series. But would NOT take a Dodge to have the Cummins.
As for the power band in Cummins and the PS. What you say about lower RPM torque for the Cummins USED to be true. Now they are pretty much the same.
Example of this. About a month or two after I got my 2000 F 250 a friend bought a 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 spd. 3.73 rear ends, 4x4, extended cab. Pretty much identical truck as mine. At any given speed his truck was running about 200 RPMs FASTER than mine. I even had a dealer tell me that Dodge had to change the low RPM torque because of blowing out so many rear ends, drive shafts and trans in the early models.

Jim the reason I would NOT want aluminum heads on a cast block is that they are two totally different metals. And as such expand and contract at two different rates. Plus there is only one great big O ring between the two. This is supposed to be the gasket. GM has been known for their terrible head gasket problems on their diesel offerings for YEARS.
Now of couse Odinoo will argue that this is not a problem till the cows come home, but that is OK. If he wants to pay $12,000 more for a comparable truck just to have one that says GMC on it then that is fine with me. I don't have that good of a paying job.

Randy J
08-23-2002, 05:24 AM
My apologies Brickman, I was simply refering to your earlier "bashing" of Dodge. I understand Dodge isn't for you, lots of people don't like them. But then, lots of people do. I'm not trying to win converts, just give JimMac as much information as I can. As far as "Dodge had to change the low RPM torque because of blowing out so many rear ends, drive shafts and trans in the early models.", that is simply not true. While I can't say it hasn't occured, I know of no failed drive shafts or rear ends. We all know that dealers often aren't the most educated on their own products. Transmissions, well that's simply a problem all 3 have - building a reliable transmission that will hold up to a diesels torque. By the way JimMac, I wouldn't be afraid of an automatic anymore, mine has 127,000 miles and is holding up strong as are many others. I'm sure the ford is just as good, and GM, well they have the Allision, which has some qirks I don't care for, but seems to be a good transmission. I will say any automatic will probably need some aftermarket work, to the tune of about $1800 - $2000 if you plan on hauling with it extensively. Now the 24 valve does have a slightly higher RPM band than the 12 valve, but the power is still made at lower levels than the duramax or powerstroke.
I do agree with you on the aluminum head duramax, I certainly wouldn't want one, but I have heard that it's turning out to be a pretty good engine. By the way, I do have an aluminum head diesel - a VW jetta TDI. Love the car, 45 mpg on an automatic. I don't work it as hard as I do my Cummins though.
The problem with aluminum head engines, JimMac, is that aluminum expands at different rates than cast iron in reaction to heat. Diesels, through high compression generate lots of heat in the combustion chamber. Having the head expanding at a different rate than the block could create serious problems. Theoretically, an aluminum head diesel shouldn't last any time at all.
Anyway, again my apologies for infering that you had a problem with Cummins, I understand it's just a problem with Dodge. And like I said, join the club. Many people don't like 'em. Just like I wouldn't own a GM, no offense OdinOO, or a Ford (short of a F450 or up).
Randy

Brickman
08-23-2002, 10:23 AM
No offense taken. A spirited argument after a long day does a body good. :D
And yes we do know that dealers don't always know that much about their own products. I bet if I went up to the Ford dealer here in town and started talking to a sales guy it would not take 5 mins before I could tell him some thing that he did not know about a PS.
Like you say a little aftermarket help is needed for a juicer trans. There is a shop in the south east that works on the Ford exclusively, and claim that their fix is top of the line.
Even the 6 spd will go out with heavy pulling, but just not as soon as the auto.

Randy J
08-23-2002, 06:10 PM
With the Dodges, it almost seems better to buy the automatic and beef it up. Although I think they did finally get the 5th gear nut problem solved, and I haven't heard of too many problems with the 6 speed.
How is the hauling cars working out? I had a chance to buy a 3 axle, 3 car trailer a while back, but I just couldn't see where the numbers would work, with insurance, licenseing, etc.
One thing about it, whether it's a Powerstroke, Cummins, or probably even Duramax, it's fun to get in 'em and drive.
Randy

Dennis E.
08-23-2002, 07:57 PM
That tranny would be probably be made by Brians Truck Shop. (Thats what the "BTS" tranny means I guess.)Lots of guys at Ford Diesel have done business with Brian. He's top shelf. Always stands behind his work and from what I've read from some of these guys after Brian stuffs a new tranny into a PSD it's almost indestructible. No matter WHAT aftermarket goodies a person may have on it.:eek: :D ;) :cool:

Brickman
08-24-2002, 01:00 AM
Car hauling sucks today. I got hassled by the DOT today. It could have been WAY worse. I only got warned for about 6 or so violations. I played stupid and didn't get any fines. If they would have started fining me it would have been a min. of $300 and gone up from there. I am not a axx kisser, but tonight did the best I could. I did have a couple of things going in my favor. Truck and trailer were in great shape and passed inspection. And I have a CDL. The CDL totally amazed them to no end. They kept talking about it.

Dennis the PS shop is in Georgia I think, called Ford Performance Specialists. Head mechanic is Doug Lewis. He claims his trans fix its are top shelf. Maybe that Brian guy uses the same stuff.

Mow&Snow
09-06-2002, 09:55 PM
how do you guys have time to cut any grass with all this debating over trucks?

Brickman
09-07-2002, 02:09 AM
After hours recreation.

Mow&Snow
09-07-2002, 10:29 AM
That's what beer is for.....

GreginAlaska
09-16-2002, 03:35 AM
I've never had any problems starting my powerstrokes in the cold without plugging them in. I was in Fairbanks last winter and started my 2001 F350 PSD at minus 37 F. I use Mobile Delvac 1 synthetic most of the time, don't know if that might make a difference.

I drove a duramax that had 70 miles on it and it overheated on me...blown head gasket I believe. That thing sure is peppy and quiet though!

sgt_rjp
09-29-2004, 07:03 AM
I know this thread is old but thought I'd add my two cents.

I've got an '02 GMC 3/4ton with the Duramax and Allison transmission. I love the truck but wouldn't mind trading up to an '04 or '05. I haven't had any trouble with my engine but lots of people have. They've had a ton of problems with the injectors and some other things. They redesigned the engine in '04 to fix the problems.

My tailgate straps failed but they replaced them with stainless steel straps under warranty. The old ones were galvanized.

These trucks ARE offered with a 6 speed manual tranny. My friends brother has one but he thinks it's got 3 too many gears. They are just too close together. The Allison is great. I've read that it actually gets better mileage than the manual tranny.

I've never plugged my block heater in. I've only seen down to 0F, but it fired right up. You're not supposed to need the heater until under -20F.

Smalltimer1
09-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Brickman & Gravel Rat, I'm beginning to think you guys are so blinded by Powerstrokitis that you can't see anything else. The Cummins has probably the most proven track record. The Ford has been a good truck, and GM has always produced good motors. All 3 have their pluses and minuses. JimMac, if you think a Duramax will fit your needs, go with it. I have a real hard time with any V8 diesel, especially one with aluminum heads. But as I said in an earlier post, a lot of people have 'em, and a lot of people love 'em. I will say this about the Cummins (prepare for flame from Brickman & Gravel Rat!), the new Cummins will have the most horsepower & torque, of course this will change the next time either have an update, but the big news is, it's rumored to be quiet. Personally I like 'em noisy, that's why I removed my muffler, and am running just a straight pipe. But you might want to check them out. The new body style should be hitting dealers around mid-September, but I think there's a delay on the new engine. Not sure when it will debut.
Randy

I've watched 3 Cummins self destruct at truck pulls in the past 2 years. Broken cranks, rods, and melted pistons.

Smalltimer1
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
brickman

Let me tell you something about your almighty great power stoke ,i got a friend who races nascar he had a 2000 f350 dually pickup hauls a 24 foot triler with a 1966 pontiac race car in .And i point out he HAD a f350.
That god**** power stroke blew up partner first 2 months he had it and my friend was god almighty glad it was still under warranty .
Know whats pulling that race car around now take a guess :D

My grandfather's Chevy diesel had to be replaced under warranty at 1000 miles.

UNISCAPER
09-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I went back and fourth, Ford vs Chevy, as our 94 GMC 2500 had 800,000 miles and was to to be replaced. Ford has made a progression of garbage transmissions since the E4OD was introduced. I love the Ford cab over chevy, and the braking system.

However, we went Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison and am enjoying 17MPG and know the transmission will be around in 100,000 miles.

What I wish is all manufacturers would take the best features from every truck, and call one vehicle we could buy that was bullet proof.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 01:05 AM
The Torqshift (5R110) is completely different from the E40D.

There are several factors to consider.

1. The Torqshift has a higher input rating than the Allison.
2. The Torqshift is actually a 6 spd auto, with the 5th and 6th being a high range o/d (6th-- Normal mode), and a low range o/d (5th--Tow/Haul Mode). The Allison uses its 4th gear as its Tow/Haul mode pulling gear with its 5th being normal o/d.
3. I am driving a '04 F-250 6.0L PSD right now, calculated the mpg to be 22 today unloaded, only load I had in it today was a bunch of trash from my church's yard sale, probably only totaled about 1000lbs. in all so it didn't affect mpg at all.

The truck I am driving is a 2004 F-250 XL 4x2 Reg. Cab Longbed, Power Stroke/Torqshift, and nothing else. It's nothing above base except for the automatic tranny and the a/c.

UNISCAPER
10-03-2004, 11:12 AM
It would be interesting to see the privately rated torque specs on the Forqueshift tranny. All manufacturers tweek thier numbers to show whatever they want to sell.

I have a few friends who went Ford, only to send them back under the lemon law and bought GM because of trannies failing, elctrics going bad, and such.

I hope for Fords sake, they got thier transimission woes corrected, they bhave made nothing but junk since the E4OD was introduced. We have put 5 of them in our F-450, and since that is being replaced with a 4500/Duramax Allison, we won't be putting a 6th trasnmission in it.

Now, in all fairness, we need to look at geography here when comparing any transmission.

We live in hell land for trucks. Typically, we pull 5-8% grades for long distances. Our loads are heavy, and, down hill is tough as well. All trucks have large external collers on them, and oil is dumped regularly....Ford transmissions have not stacked up for us, and, I am in no way going to be a test pilot for thier engineering marvels. It would take alot of proven testing from owners in our area to ever convice me that they have corrected thier transmission issues.

We would all be better off if the manufacturers would remove the electronic computer crap and go back to vaccum shift which would make rebuild affordable, and, transmissions last the length of time that manufacturers owe us as consumers.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 10:25 PM
It would be interesting to see the privately rated torque specs on the Forqueshift tranny. All manufacturers tweek thier numbers to show whatever they want to sell.

I have a few friends who went Ford, only to send them back under the lemon law and bought GM because of trannies failing, elctrics going bad, and such.

I hope for Fords sake, they got thier transimission woes corrected, they bhave made nothing but junk since the E4OD was introduced. We have put 5 of them in our F-450, and since that is being replaced with a 4500/Duramax Allison, we won't be putting a 6th trasnmission in it.

We've got a Chevy Duramax farm truck with Allison #5 in it at 120,000 miles.

It is true, the Ford Torqshift is a heavier tranny than the Allison. However, the E40D is not related to the 5R110, don't pass judgement on the Torqshift because of unrelated transmission.

The E40D in my truck is fine, and I pull a 10'x16' cast iron Hardee trailer (3500lbs. empty/5 ton payload) with it, no problems yer. I keep my tranny fluid changed though.