PDA

View Full Version : Keeping clippings out of mulch beds

AP Lawn Care
09-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I would love to hear how you guys keep grass out of mulch. I have a few properties that have huge flower beds that are all filled with mulch with rocks outlining the edge where it needs to be trimmed. Short of me pulling the damn things how the rest of you deal with this?

ajslands
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Bag it or mow the other direction:
Posted via Mobile Device

cut level
09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
What are you asking? How to keep it out while mowing or how to keep it out on the part you are trimming against the rocks?

If you are getting some in there from trimming around the rock border which shouldnt be much at all then just go back with the blower. The small amount that flies in there while trimming you should be able to dispurse with the blower and never tell it was there. You should be able to keep 90% of those trimmings out while trimming.

cpel2004
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Several factors... I try to cut with the discharge going away from the bed. Depending on the conditions it may beimpossible to do. How often are you mowing? Do you have a mulch kit? Worst case scenario we blow or try to blow the grass off of the top of the mulch. Most customers are fine with this. You may have to reset your customer expectations that a minimal amount of grass may be left in beds( but it will dissipate after a few days).

ShooterK2
09-27-2010, 01:47 PM
If you don't want to bag it, you could try one of those discharge covers that you can open and close as needed. I've never used one myself (we bag grass here), but I would imagine it will leave a row of clippings along the right side of the deck (just like when my catcher gets full). Just go back with the blower and disperse them. It's easier than trying to blow grass clippings out of a mulch bed without getting mulch all over the lawn.....

cut level
09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
If you don't want to bag it, you could try one of those discharge covers that you can open and close as needed. I've never used one myself (we bag grass here), but I would imagine it will leave a row of clippings along the right side of the deck (just like when my catcher gets full). Just go back with the blower and disperse them. It's easier than trying to blow grass clippings out of a mulch bed without getting mulch all over the lawn.....

This is the correct answer.

AP Lawn Care
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah I was mostly talking about trimming but because of the location of the beds to the house it's almost impossible to mow unless I take the time and do it with a 21inch. If I dont do that it requires there to be a lot of trimming which means grass in mulch beds. It's bright red mulch and you can see it pretty good. None the less I was just curious but thanks ajslands for your brillant answer. ShooterK2 I think that's what I'm going to do because I have a few accounts where this is a problem and I'm not bagging anything that I don't have to.

AP Lawn Care
09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Several factors... I try to cut with the discharge going away from the bed. Depending on the conditions it may beimpossible to do. How often are you mowing? Do you have a mulch kit? Worst case scenario we blow or try to blow the grass off of the top of the mulch. Most customers are fine with this. You may have to reset your customer expectations that a minimal amount of grass may be left in beds( but it will dissipate after a few days).

Still mowing this yard every 5 days. I've just been getting what I can out of there and mixing the mulch around to make it look like there's none in there. LOL

cut level
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah I was mostly talking about trimming but because of the location of the beds to the house it's almost impossible to mow unless I take the time and do it with a 21inch. If I dont do that it requires there to be a lot of trimming which means grass in mulch beds. It's bright red mulch and you can see it pretty good. None the less I was just curious but thanks ajslands for your brillant answer. ShooterK2 I think that's what I'm going to do because I have a few accounts where this is a problem and I'm not bagging anything that I don't have to.

I still dont see how trimming is throwing a bunch of grass in the beds. The rock border must not be tall at all?

deere-man
09-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Trimmer trap blade blocker.

thisismurph
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
walk backwards when your trimming.

AP Lawn Care
09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I still dont see how trimming is throwing a bunch of grass in the beds. The rock border must not be tall at all?

it's not tall it's just big river rock. It's not an retaining wall. Not even 3 inchs high.

hamiltonlawncare
09-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Stihl power scythe lays the trmmed grass flat w/o flying all over - used for parking lots, ect where you don't want to having clipping flying all over if you're mowing evey 5 days it shouldn't be too high

Bagit
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Get a 21" mulcher/bagger mower in there and quit slingin' grass with the weed-eater. Problem solved.

Johnny test
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree it's a "B". Nothing like watching that crabgrass seed head get scattered across your nice newly mulched flower bed. Gotta luv it.. I'd bag or mulch..

mzgloves20
09-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Have a guy stand in the bed and blow out at the string head while you trim. Otherwise bag it, or fabricate a rubber flap to hang down low enough on the outer edge of the non discharge side of the mower to keep the blow under out of the bed.