PDA

View Full Version : stand-on's bad for striping?

blueliner011
09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I currently mow with a 48" Lesco with a stand on, the mower seems to stripe decent for a stock mower (no high lift blades or striping kit). However when I do use the stand on for larger properties the stripes are less defined and broken up. Now i understand why this is happens with my particular stand on having two large tires on both sides of my "foot platform", but I'm curious as to whether everyone else has a similar problem with there stand-on's. I am debating buying a new TTHP next spring and would like to add both the striper and the exmark stand on, however i may just buy a Lazer if the stripes are going to be effected not matter what.

And yes I know that most customers don't expect perfect stripes on there lawn and its not always a necessity, but I am a perfectionist and prefer to stripe even if its not requested because I feel the job looks half assed if not done right.

Hawkshot99
09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
My stripes are better looking with my sulky than walking. I have a 2 wheel sulky like you. If I walk I can see my foot prints going up the middle of the stripe, but the tire marks from the sulky are basically in line with the drive tires.
Ii have a Exmark viking.

Clark Griswold
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
And yes I know that most customers don't expect perfect stripes on there lawn and its not always a necessity, but I am a perfectionist and prefer to stripe even if its not requested because I feel the job looks half assed if not done right.

I've never had a customer mention anything about stripes either but like you I'm a perfectionist too & my name doesn't go on it unless it's done correctly, my way!

grass.gauchos
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
We've found that we can only use the velke on certain properties, if it's too bumpy or steep the stander will wiggle around and wreck the stripe. This year we bought a Wright stander to help solve this problem and while it doesn't work on all terrain it stripes up much nicer than walkbehind.