PDA

View Full Version : Mower fungus

B&Slawncare
08-12-2002, 10:18 PM
Is there a site or article, explaining that fungus does not come from mowers from lawn to lawn? Or is this not correct? :confused:

Barkleymut
08-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Man I wish I could remember where I read some great info on this subject. I'll try to look. But anyways it said that certain types could transfer and I believe it.

Barkleymut
08-12-2002, 10:52 PM
I don't know what type of fungi ya'll have in Texas. I just hope its not Cowboyitis. The kind that takes Champion grass and turns it into nothing and then it takes 30 years to recover! Steelers rule!

Anyways try this http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/hfrr/hnewslet/ksht0224.htm

go to the part about brown patch

TurfGuyTX
08-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Some fungus can be transported by mowers. I don't remember all of the details though. Wheels that are wet from wet grass do most of the spreading. You could spray your wheels with a bleach/water solution between lawns. I'd get after your infected lawns with a fungus treatment to get it under control. Good luck.

ProMo
08-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Rhizoctonia solani survives from year to year in the form of mycelium or bulbils (resting bodies of the fungus) in plant debris and thatch. As such, it also is capable of existing away from the host as a saprophyte. As average daily temperatures rise , the bulbil germinates and forms fungal hyphae, which spread through the soil surface and thatch. During humid, hot weather, the hyphae grow onto moist grass blades and enter the plant through wounds and stomates (natural leaf pores). Local spread is by mycelium bridging from plant to plant. Longer distance spread is by mycelium clinging to wet mower wheels during early morning mowing. This sometimes causes symptoms to appear in a wheel track pattern, rather than in the characteristic circular pattern. Ive never had this carry to another lawn but have seen it track a 2000 sf lawn

HBFOXJr
08-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Diseases are all through the environment. I have viewed many lawns that have wheel marks and disease in the same places leading one to conclude the mower spread the disease.

However you can run that mower on a healthy lawn (not stressed by low moisture) and not see that occur. The reason is many lawns are mowed when stressed and the turf is physically damaged. This turf is then more susceptable to what naturally exists on the site and what little may be brought in from the outside. The physical injury manifests itself as brown turf in the tire track adding to the problem or sometimes it's just plain misdiagnosed as disease.

TurfGuyTX
08-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Well said.