PDA

View Full Version : Landscape edging

Woodland
09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I have a property with a mulched bed next to a paved driveway that runs down-slope. The mulch is constantly washing out of the bed edge and onto the lawn when it rains. My solution is to install and edging material next to the pavement, along side the bed to keep water on the drive. I'll leave about 1/2 to 1" above grade. My choices are 5/4" pressure treated or "plastic wood" board or steel edging. The latter is my first choice but I can't find any. I found some colmet stuff online through AM Leonard but it is only 4" tall. I know I've seen some made 5" or 6" which would be much better. I'm thinking about talking to a local welding shop to see if they can get me something resembling these commercially available products. Has anyone done such a thing and if so, how do you install it with stakes? Is there a specific thickness I should shoot for (it will be a fairly straight run with a slight curve at one end)? Should I paint it somehow or let it rust? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

White Gardens
09-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Use better mulch.

You got to keep in mind when doing anything along a driveway that there might be a snow plow that will hit it, snow blower, or a car will drive over it.

Good twice shredded hardwood mulch should compress and stay in place even during a heavy rain.

Woodland
09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I appreciate your advice, however, that is not a workable solution. We are using a high quality mulch and it is helpful on two other beds with water flow issues, but not on this one. The slope and pitch of the driveway coupled with the large amount of water that runs off in this particular area create a difficult situation. It seems the only solution that will solve this is diverting the water from this bed. The driveway is cleared with a tractor mounted snowblower which should be able to handle a slightly raised edge with the help of some markers.

bmoorefield
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
A picture would be a huge help for better advice to be given. It sounds like water is coming off the driveway into the beds creating a drainage problem. In similar situations I have created a small berm to catch the water and covered the area with heavy grade weed block and then river rounds. The berm will prevent the water from going into the beds not the rocks, the rocks are just for decoration.

SDLandscapes VT
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
we have a client that has granite cobble edging/curbing along the driveway and it makes for a plowing/snowblowing nightmare. I would shy away from the edging and put some nice rock lined drainage swales to direct the water away and slow the flow down.