PDA

View Full Version : Rocks In the Lawn

chris@perfectlawncare
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I have two customers that have newer (< 5 years old) homes where the contractor planted grass. They both have a great deal of rocks ranging from pebbles on the surface to ~5"x5". I have thought of two approaches:
- Rent a skidsteer, get a couple yards of screened topsoil, put 1 or 2 inches down all over the lawn, seed it, and see how that goes.
- Slit seed it twice, at 90 degree angles.

My main qualm with the skidsteer/topsoil method is the fact that the lawns are already meeting the sidewalk at the appropriate level.

I know, I know, :hammerhead: question and it's kind of :dizzy: without pictures, but do you have any suggestions?

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Are the rocks on the surface or are they sub surface?
Posted via Mobile Device

chris@perfectlawncare
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Are the rocks on the surface or are they sub surface?
Posted via Mobile Device

They are on the surface, causing grass to not grow there.

JB1
09-27-2010, 09:37 PM
you might consider having an old fashioned rock picking party.

chris@perfectlawncare
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM

:laugh: get the whole family out on their lawn, paying me to remove rocks from their property...

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM

I agree, get a couple of 5 gallon buckets and pick them up. Even with a 2" coating of topsoil the rocks will make it back to the surface.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
:laugh: get the whole family out on their lawn, paying me to remove rocks from their property...

No, ask your customer to pick them up or hire you to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

chris@perfectlawncare
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree, get a couple of 5 gallon buckets and pick them up. Even with a 2" coating of topsoil the rocks will make it back to the surface.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay. Let me take a couple of pictures and I'll post them tomorrow. Do you think a slit seeder would make them easier to get out?

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Okay. Let me take a couple of pictures and I'll post them tomorrow. Do you think a slit seeder would make them easier to get out?

No, rocks will fly everywhere. The best way is to remove as many as you can...I had to do the same thing, picked a few up every time I mowed my lawn or went outside. Now I just have to teach the dogs not to bring them back to the lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Do you think a slit seeder would make them easier to get out?

tell me your not serious.

chris@perfectlawncare
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
tell me your not serious.

I've never used one. I've always aerated. EDIT: (Aerated+Overseeded)

cgaengineer
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a slit seeder and trust me, if you have rocks they will beat the hell out of the blades and the inside of the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
When I was little, like 6 years old, for one of my birthday parties at my house my mom and my neighbor came up with the idea for all the kids at the party to pick up acorns in the lawn. That year was a horrible year for acorns and my mom and the neighbor got tired of picking them up...so for a "game" during the party, they gave every kid a bucket and 5 or 10 minutes to pick up as many acorns as they could, the winner would get $1.00. And when you have 15 energetic kids running around the backyard, there were no more acorns left.

If it can work for acorns, it could work with rocks.

wild willy
09-28-2010, 07:34 AM
what about using the rubber drum paddle attachment for the end of a trimmer shaft?, stihl makes one and I believe that this item can be rented too. It may not get the big ones out but if you buy the attachment you may offer this service to other customers or to people that live beside gravel shoulder roads.

chris@perfectlawncare
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
what about using the rubber drum paddle attachment for the end of a trimmer shaft?, stihl makes one and I believe that this item can be rented too. It may not get the big ones out but if you buy the attachment you may offer this service to other customers or to people that live beside gravel shoulder roads.

That's a good suggestion. I looked over the account that is looking for an aeration once again to see if the acorn/rock party would work. I think I made a mistake - I was only able to find a couple of sizeable rocks in the lawn. Most rocks were gravel/pebble sized.

http://tinyurl.com/262jao2
http://tinyurl.com/2f9mq5z

How would you fix that? :laugh:

cgaengineer
09-30-2010, 06:35 AM
The same way, just pick them up. I pickup rocks on my customers lawns if I see them for no other reason than to prevent broken windows later on...you don't have to do it all in a day, just a few each visit.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
09-30-2010, 09:40 PM
The same way, just pick them up. I pickup rocks on my customers lawns if I see them for no other reason than to prevent broken windows later on...you don't have to do it all in a day, just a few each visit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do the same thing if they're loose rocks. I normally wouldn't dig them out if they're like an iceberg in water.

Chilehead
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
There's this thing I've used called a "rock hound". All you have to do is remove the bucket from a skid steer, attach the rock hound, and comb the area to be planted. The device collects all the rocks present down to a little less than an inch. It's no sweat.

chris@perfectlawncare
09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
That's a good suggestion. I looked over the account that is looking for an aeration once again to see if the acorn/rock party would work. I think I made a mistake - I was only able to find a couple of sizeable rocks in the lawn. Most rocks were gravel/pebble sized.

http://tinyurl.com/262jao2
http://tinyurl.com/2f9mq5z

How would you fix that? :laugh:

So much for trying to post pictures. Let's see if this works:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs690.snc4/63048_446628848296_633343296_5216946_7975870_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs344.ash2/62407_446628808296_633343296_5216945_2637248_n.jpg

How would you fix that?

chris@perfectlawncare
10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Job's on for Sunday. I decided to slice seed it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
If the soil is in good shape then I'd aerate it, seed it and then put top dressing on. Guaranteed to grow with some rain.

georgiagrass
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
If you are willing to tear up the turf, you need to rent a skid with a harley rake and/or a york rake to get up the stones. Otherwise, I agree with the others here who advise the old-fashioned approach of just picking them up. This will probably be an ongoing problem, however, as more stones work their way up through the soil. The builder who did the landscaping should be tarred and feathered.

2low4NH
10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Looks like a cheap hydro job to get some green very common on spec homes. if you tear up the turf get a power rake for a skid steer rake it out spread new soil or more soil then re seed. slice seeding will not help you.

chris@perfectlawncare
10-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Looks like a cheap hydro job to get some green very common on spec homes. if you tear up the turf get a power rake for a skid steer rake it out spread new soil or more soil then re seed. slice seeding will not help you.

Thank you. I spoke to the homeowner about the rocks. On second glance, there aren't as many rocks as I originally thought. On Sunday, I'll post all the rocks he was able to remove from the lawn before I came.

As I said in the beginning, same thing at another one of my accounts. They purchased a house lot behind a house lot (the lots were stacked on one another), then they decided to buy the lot in front of the house. The builders threw down some cheap seed and didn't do anything about the rocks beforehand. Ugh. Unfortunately, the lot behind a lot doesn't want to pay me to remove the rocks, so I cut crappy grass...

chris@perfectlawncare
10-09-2010, 12:00 AM
If you are willing to tear up the turf, you need to rent a skid with a harley rake and/or a york rake to get up the stones. Otherwise, I agree with the others here who advise the old-fashioned approach of just picking them up. This will probably be an ongoing problem, however, as more stones work their way up through the soil. The builder who did the landscaping should be tarred and feathered.

I wholeheartedly agree.