PDA

View Full Version : Tire & tube question

bigsnowdog
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a zero turn that has Carlisle Turfmasters on the in the sise 24 x 12.00 - 12 NHS. They are tubeless tires. As an aside, I have never had such troubles with flats as I have had with a zero turn. Running tractors I have had two flats in 32 years. With this machine I have had four flats in two years.

The fronts I fixed with slime. The rear on one side I fixed with slime and the other had what seemed to be a porosity in the sidewall, so I put a tube in it. The Carlisle dealer stocks a 24/26 x 12 x 12 tube; that is what I used.

Yesterday that same tire went down. I got it apart and was amazed to see the tube showed signs of being too big. It had lines from what I assume to be wrinkles and folds. A pin hole had developed at what I take to be a chafing point.

I have a good 40 years of experience working with tube type tires on trucks, cars, and motorcycles. I know how to get a tube in place and inflate it with no stem, ensuring there are no wrinkles. I was careful to do that. Inflating the tube outside of the tire makes it apparent, I believe, that it is too big, and the ID of it is not a smooth radius.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better tube size to use in this tire?

Thank you.

kilgoja
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM
why would you use a tube?...just plug or patch the tire and use it tubeless like you are supposed to

bigsnowdog
09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
why would you use a tube?...just plug or patch the tire and use it tubeless like you are supposed to

Patches don't work in sidewalls.

GravelyGuy
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Tubes haven't held up for me in ZTR tires. The tube rubs against the rough area inside the tire and tears eventually.

bigsnowdog
09-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Tubes haven't held up for me in ZTR tires. The tube rubs against the rough area inside the tire and tears eventually.

Are you running tubeless on the front or solids?

GravelyGuy
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Are you running tubeless on the front or solids?

I have both. I've never had a flat in the front except when the tires pops off the bead.

kilgoja
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
i guess buy a new tire...that is the solution